Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I had an Italian woman complement me on my pizza once, I was pretty chuffed. Although pizza is one of those things loads of people think is really difficult and impressive, whereas it's not particularly.

grizzleb

Surprised how easy pizza was when I made it recently. Even busted out a curry sauce on the base instead of the usual italian style. Get that right up yees. :cool:

luka

i got a lot of respect for your eating habits grizzle b. i might cast aspersions on your curry making but you got a good line in gutter snacks. curry pizza is pretty avant garde. im eating crisps and beer right now waiting for the rugby leagu to start. thats a good combo.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
supermarket hummus is basically just mayonnaise, innit? :eek:
hummus is so quick and easy to make tho and it blatantly does taste better than the supermarket stuff. big glug of olive oil in a blender, add tin of chick peas, some cubes of garlic, couple of heaped tablespoons of tahini (almost as much tahini as chick peas), salt, lots of black pepper, juice of 2 lemons, pinch of cumin, pinch of chilli powder, pinch of paprika, bit of yoghurt and a bit of water (water is key otherwise it'll be too dry and chalky).

Sorry to get to this late. You are just about spot on but what will send your hummus into the "Am I in Turkey?" zone is chickpea flour in place of tinned chickpeas. Could also be a bit heavier on the cumin but that's a matter of taste.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sorry to get to this late. You are just about spot on but what will send your hummus into the "Am I in Turkey?" zone is chickpea flour in place of tinned chickpeas. Could also be a bit heavier on the cumin but that's a matter of taste.

ah! proper culinary magic....will give it a go

petergunn

plywood violin
recently made fried chicken in accordance to what the internet said was the Colonel's OG recipe of 11 herbs and spices... came out pretty good...

* 1 teaspoon ground oregano
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon ground sage
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 tablespoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon onion salt
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 2 tablespoons Accent (an MSG-based seasoning)

did not use the MSG...

luka

dont spurn msg it is the dan dada of flavour enhancers. i have gone on about my msg lov here bfore. 7 billion asians cant b wrong.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I saw a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco once that had a sign outside saying "We don't used MSG!" - which kind of made me think, well what's the point then? It is magic stuff.

luka

the funny thing is australians wont eat chips unless they are covered with a bright yellow msg/spice mix they call 'chicken salt'

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The other day I saw my Aussie housemate giving a wee taste of that stuff to the new guy who moved in recently - it was like watching a stereotypical evil drug dealer trying to get kids hooked on heroin.

grizzleb

Anyone know where I can get fresh galangal in London? The dried stuff you can find but it tastes like bum...

I'm sure I got some in Asda back in Glasgow but I can't be bothered trekking to find one if it's not available.

luka

surely you can get that anywhere? my local supermarket sells it. but otherwise why not try mare st? few viet places along there will be sure to have it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Anyone know where I can get fresh galangal in London? The dried stuff you can find but it tastes like bum...

I'm sure I got some in Asda back in Glasgow but I can't be bothered trekking to find one if it's not available.

I've got some you can have :) Remind me next time I see you

Edit - ah shit, hungover, didn't see the 'fresh'.... :eek:

Last edited: