Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

don_quixote

Trent End
buried in the first and original ottolenghi books is a recipe for kosheri which is totally out of kilter with the rest of the book but is basically a store cupboard raiding classic, lentils, rice, onions, chopped toms, garlic, chilli, cider vinegar + spices are pretty much all you need. and it is MOREISH.

http://cookbad.blogspot.com/2008/05/kosheri.html

someone put the recipe here.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Thanks guys that's both great recommendations, the Kosheri looks like the most filling thing ever - carbs with your carbs, hurrah! - and Haroutounian looks great, will pick one up. Just not getting on with Ottolenghi at all from the ones I've tried.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Goats cheese and cranberry works really well as well.

Any good Lebanese cookbooks that aren't Ottolenghi?

Yeah, coming back over to the idea of cranberries big time recently, after going to the Cranberry Museum in new England as a teenager and being scarred by the experience. Cranberry and vodka may just be my favourite drink, period.

Claudia Roden is one of the classic writers on leb cuisine, afaik.

http://www.chow.com/photos/474146

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
buried in the first and original ottolenghi books is a recipe for kosheri which is totally out of kilter with the rest of the book but is basically a store cupboard raiding classic, lentils, rice, onions, chopped toms, garlic, chilli, cider vinegar + spices are pretty much all you need. and it is MOREISH.

double carb recipes I'm into...potato and bacon risotto is amazing, and potato/rosemary on pizza is too

grizzleb

Alright, quick question about this recipe - think I'm going to try and make this (tonight hopefully) but I was wondering what kind of vermicelli is recommended for this? Is it the kind made of rice, or the pasta kind? Do I have to use that? Can I use spaghetti, or just leave it out altogether? Cheers.

muser

I'd also reccomend Roden not all leb but alot of great recipes, I got given a book but cant find it online I'm not sure if its just a different print, but its a Roden book called Middle East something by Sainsburys I dont have it here right now to check the title but I have been enjoying it alot.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Happy summer:

smoothye.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Saw a recipe for a smoothie that sounded nice the other day - strawberries, orange juice, coconut milk and coconut yoghurt, with lemon j/zest and cinnamon to finish it off

Strawberry and mint sounds good. Kiwi/mint/lime another great combo, iirc.

e/y

pretty sure I stole this from some cooking show, can't really recall.

-Icecream 'sandwich' w/ seared mango appetizer.

• Parmesan cheese, grated (approximately 2 table spoons for each appetizer)
  • ce cream, the less sweet the better
  • fresh arugula, 1 leaf for each appetizer
  • mango, divided into oblong quarters
  • smints

Part I
1. In a non-stick pan, heat some olive oil on medium-high.
2. Spread 1 tbl spoon of the Parm cheese in a roughly round shape, not too thin, not too thick. Basically you're trying to make a cheese crisp. Flip it once the underside is golden brown (time varies, depends on your stove, really). Let it melt / fry on that side, too. remove and place on a paper tissue to cool and get rid of excess oil. Repeat for however many servings you want - you need two crisps for each.
3. Once the crisps are cool, put a small (about 1/2 of the area of the crisp) scoop of icecream on each. Have to be careful, as the cheese is brittle.
4. Place the leaf of arugula on top, then cover with the second crisp; set aside (in the refrigerator).

Part II
1. Crush the smints into a fine powder.
2. Heat a nonstick pan, medium high, no oil this time.
3. Coat the mango in a bit of the smint powder.
4. Place in the pan - the lack of oil and high temp will sear the fruit and the smints will caramelize.
5. Set aside to cool.

Once the mango pieces cool down, put them on a small plate together with the cheese crisp / icecream 'sandwiches'.

The salty (cheese) / bitter (arugula) / sweet combo works really well - as you bite down, you experience them in that order, and they compliment each other surprisingly well. It's important that the ice cream isn't particularly sweet, or it will overpower everything else.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As far as drinks go, this summer has all been about the New Zealand sauvignin blancs. All melon-y and citrus-y with a hint of freshly-cut grass, or even lemongrass. Decent ones available for under a tenner, and often around £5.50-£6 (on reduction) in the supermarkets. Goes with pretty much anything.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
As far as drinks go, this summer has all been about the New Zealand sauvignin blancs. All melon-y and citrus-y with a hint of freshly-cut grass, or even lemongrass. Decent ones available for under a tenner, and often around £5.50-£6 (on reduction) in the supermarkets. Goes with pretty much anything.

Right, teach me about white wine. I used to drink it as a student when I thought I disliked red wine cos the only ones I'd ever had were Bulgarian for 2.99. Then I had decent red wine, and realised I would rather drink that in almost any conceivable situation than almost any half-decent white wine.

Exception is Gewurtztraminer, which is one of the best alcoholic drinks of all, imo. No idea why or what it might taste of - just tastes gooood.

Is the sauvignon blanc at Sainsburys?

Tbh, this should go in the PGU thread. Nothing signifies being a proper grown up more than talking about wine, in my book. And DIY.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tesco have a reasonable selection. We had one last night called Glenridge Point. It was cheap, there are nicer ones...

Edit: seriously, I'm no expert. Go into a decent-sized supermarket and they're bound to have a few that are reduced from the 8-10 quid mark down to 5-6. Whether they should have been at the higher price to start with is anyone's guess, of course, but it's bound to be drinkable, i.e. doesn't have that eau-de-pipi-de-chat you can get with cheap whites. Or you can be a Proper Grown Up and go to an actual wine merchant and ask for a recommendation.

Last edited: