Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

nochexxx

harco pronting
trust me im going to get the bottom of exactly how to do this. actually they say you can do it with apple or whatever too

wicked, be sure to share the receipe. your snack sounded a bit like fresh guava, with powdered assam and salt. i used to consume that daily.

luka

whats assam? where were you living you cant eat guava every day in the uk/ cant eat tropical fruits there.

muser

I tried guava flavoured rubicon once and it was the worst flavoured rubicon, never again. Not that that is very reprasentative of the guava experience i'd imagine.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Rubicon watermelon may be the nicest mass-produced juice drink in the world (great with vodka). The other ones suck a bit though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Rabbit and sausage casserole with field mushrooms.

Enough said, I think. Just absolutely amazing.

luka

this chilli plus fruit thing is really good. today i had magno with chilli/ tomorrow i will have apple with chilli/ granny smith/

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Watermelon is nice but I can never get it anywhere, lychee is sick, but pomegranate kills it on the Rubicon front. I've been known to neck a whole big carton of that just cos that's how I'm living.

dd528

Pomegranate (fizzy, in the bottle) and guanabana (still, in the carton, poured over ice) do it for me. Unfortunately mango and passion fruit seem to be by far the most widely sold flavours. Lychee is a balance of delicious and widely-available, so I end up drinking a lot of that.

grizzleb

Dead simple and pretty unimpressive but I've tried 2 recipes this week that proved cheap, easy, quick and tasty.

Carrot and red split lentil soup with garlic, ginger and curry powder was quality, and probably about I dunno 20p a portion. Quality

Penne with a sauce of tin tomatoes, garlic, a can of anchovies, an onion (removed at the end for texture) and some olives was maybe 50p a portion or something. Anchovies are the best thing basically.

Anyway I'm feeling satisfied as fuck for having cooked ALL my meals this week which basically never happens.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
all i had at home this evening was a slice of bacon, 1 clove of garlic, a butternut and a tin of broadbeans. so i made a soup obv. added the broadbeans whole once i'd whizzed up the other stuff. it was tasty. bacon, broadbeans and butternut. good combo i reckon.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Penne with a sauce of tin tomatoes, garlic, a can of anchovies, an onion (removed at the end for texture) and some olives was maybe 50p a portion or something. Anchovies are the best thing basically.

The veggie has been away so I've been on a meat / fish binge lately, and I can confirm that this is the case.

i) pasta with broccoli, anchovies, garlic, chilli flakes, parmesan, olive oil for another tasty cheapish dinner
ii) Salad Niçoise - kind of customizable, I messed with the authenticity by using landcress instead of lettuce because it's going mad in the garden at the moment and putting potatoes in, which I think would get you lynched by proper french people, but yeah, tinned tuna, anchovies, black olives, tomato, sliced shallot, landcress, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, chives, vinaigrette. Buff.

Also, my new favourite steak sauce is chimichurri - basically a big bunch of flat leaf parsley minced with a few cloves of garlic, chilli, oregano, oil and vinegar.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
wanted to try chimichurri - sounds simpler than I'd thought.

Steak strip and cashew nut stir-fry was lush, with ginger, garlic, chillies and Szechuan peppercorns and the meat marinated in soy and shao hsing.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
TOP TIP FOR MEAT EATERS

I eat bolognese alot right, it's one of my favourite things. I've tried all recipes known to mankind, really. Ragu with added chicken liver, with extra pork trotter, without carrots, with beef mince, with bacon rather than proscuitto, without proscuitto.

THIS one is the business. I don't care what any of you say. This recipe is the fucking bollocks, try it. People will think you're a master chef. It's amazing. Don't forget the nutmeg, and use the best dried mushroom you can afford.

http://uk.phaidon.com/the-silver-spoon/recipes/2010/april/23/tagliatelle-bolognese/

We were kinda amazed. It's like the Aaliyah of ragu.

Last edited: