DJ Godfather (re: ghetto-tech)

AshRa

The best (and only!) ghetto-tech music i've got is a tape somebody posted me from Detroit in 95 - it's 12 Tech Mob (DJ Daddy Riff & Lenn Swann) "Bounce Dat Azz Mix Vol 1" and it's still my favourite mixtape ever!! Loads of D-techno / west coast electro classics mixed up with yer Miami Bass and Dance Mania...

There's an interview with Lenn Swann here http://www.wideadventure.com/swannviews.htm - looks like the many-facetted DJ Dez (Slum Village) AKA Andres (KDJ / Moods and Grooves) is in their crew too!

I'm getting a new computer this weekend (with a soundcard that actually WORKS) so i'll upload and share it ASAP.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Isn't the diff basically in the name i.e. baltimore BREAKS, like, it uses BREAKBEATS?

Maybe I just dont know my ghettotech well enough.

And percolator is def chicago! I have the 12" sitting right here in front of me.

Anyway, this is the site you want for b-more breaks:

http://www.baltimoreclubtracks.com/

You can buy vinyl, you can buy mix cds, etc. Right now they only do it over the phone, but they're adding paypal. If you call the number and ask for dj technics, apparently you can get in touch w/ the man himself.

There was a thread on ILM where DJ Technics actually posted. Technics is THE b-more club DJ, diplo's gotten him up to NYC to play some shows. WHen I interviewed diplo, he was straight in AWE of technics abilities. Diplo also said that when it comes down to it, NOTHING makes people wile out like b-more club. Apparently Technics is doing the cd dj thing and is AMAZING at it, like he manipulates a crowd like nobody's business.

The b-more club tracks site used to have a bunch of pictures and bios of the major figures up, but i guess they're busy constructing a new site so there's less to investigate there than there used to be.

Scott Seward wrote an article called "Baltimore Club is the new Bob Dylan" and that's somewhere on the web. Its got a bunch of information about the genre, if i remember correctly.

I remember there was this track that sampled cartman from south park and doo dew brown was big and i donno what else...shit is supposed to be hype though. I got to dance to the JA DJs coppershot a couple months back, and they threw on some breaks in their set, i was pretty loaded at that point but i remember going pretty crazy, and they only played lik 3 songs!

steve-k

Hey DigitalD, Dj Frankski used to play "The Percolator" when he was on the old V103 in Baltimore. Now there are Baltimore club tracks that get aired on 92.3 where they mix in 50s r'n'b and rock hit melodies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Have you heard the DJ Assault stuff?
This guy we know has just booked Assault to play outside Lisbon. It's really only funny if you know this guy but he's the quietest, geekiest bloke - I'm trying to imagine him 'hanging' with DJ Assault for a few days, maybe getting some bitches with him.... or... what? I just cannot wrap my head round it.