The Monochrome Set (feel free to derail)

zhao

there are no accidents
passion_wtf.jpg

martin

----
They're more indie-pop (proto-indie-pop) than post-punk, i guess. But they were never twee, and they never sounded like they just wanted to reinvent Big Star or TThe Byrds - the guitars were all sccratchy and the melodies were ace, but not 60s or bubblegum. It was kinda like (deep breath for possible wildly inappropriate comparison) Swell Maps if they'd wanted to get to No56 in the charts.

edit: actually , sack that last bit - it's nonsense

No, that's not a bad comparison, I couldn't tell you what they sound like except a bit like early Ants meets Wire, but that's completely off the mark too.

STN

sou'wester
I have decided that I actually hate early Adam and the Ants; i.e. Dirk Wears White Socks and before. Odd as I used to love it, but then I used to love Anti-Nowhere League (actually I do still love them a bit) and a really horrible girl called Susan.

martin

----
I have decided that I actually hate early Adam and the Ants; i.e. Dirk Wears White Socks and before. Odd as I used to love it, but then I used to love Anti-Nowhere League (actually I do still love them a bit) and a really horrible girl called Susan.

Oh, I hate this. I hate that. So both Adam and the Ants and poor Susan - no doubt a much misunderstood and loving, considerate person - have to bear the brunt of your insane wrath forever. What next? Who gets the next kick in the eye?

martin

----
Oh, I hate her too then.

Crackerjack kindly emailed me the TMS stuff I've not heard, so all the haters can get screwed. Will send 'Alphaville' when I get home.

Tell you who I hate now - Notorious BIG. Such a fake - I doubt he ever sold crack, any more than Joe Strummer ever picked up a shovel. I can believe he spent lots of time in McDonalds. The only people who get off on his fantastical nonsense are white middle class people - living in their luxurious suburban homes.

STN

sou'wester
I think I was probably worse to be honest. Don't know why I brought it up.

I think I might have stopped hating Stuart Marconie, not something I thought I'd ever do.

martin

----
I hate Terry Murphy for writing that fucking biography about running the Bridge House - the dullest (and most inaccurate) music book I've read in living memory, and a complete waste of a quid.