Peter Gabriel

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
honestly that article was a rant though sure, it was entertaining enough
the gabriel/genesis costumes marked the stage as a sacred space
they function just as tribal costumes do in ceremony only gabriel draws from a perhaps more personal (and invented) history

the author calls prog rock conservative but his pov is certainly that
i wonder what he would say about sun ra's costumes and philosophy
or kraftwerk or devo...

humor and religious awe must be neighbors
i imagine that jesus returning as a zombie must have incited a few knee-jerk guffaws until he allowed close inspection of his stigmata
like what? yr back!
ohhhhhh!

zhao

there are no accidents
also kick started that bland, tasteless, middle-of-the-road, packaged-to-death "world music" trend for coffee shops and house-wives didn't he.

(all aside, he did do a lot of good in exposing people like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan to the west)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I have honestly, really tried with the 70s stuff with Genesis after having it recommended to be me by several people, but though in some ways I can respect it, it's just not for me. Still not heard his solo stuff, but those early albums sound like they might be worth a shot at some point. Too much new stuff to listen to right now though!

Edit: Should say that the intro section of Supper's Ready, 'walking across the sitting room' etc, is good, but after that... eh, for me it goes rapidly downhill.

Last edited:

ether

my girlfriend was telling me yesterday that the guy who's shooting peter garbriels new music video, phoned up the theatre where she works trying to hire some props.

apparently his new video involves velvet rope and an aircraft hanger (for some reason we both found this hilarious)

I suspect gabriel will be strapped naked to a chair and conkered james bond style.