Current Dancehall

gabriel

The Heatwave
i'm back on Rinse tonight - first hour will be all new dancehall/bashment, dunno what'll happen in the 2nd hour still

1-3am - every Thursday

STN

sou'wester
i'm back on Rinse tonight - first hour will be all new dancehall/bashment, dunno what'll happen in the 2nd hour still

1-3am - every Thursday

Will it be podcasted? I'm in bed with a cup of hot buckfast by 1am on weeknights.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I was very recently in Barbados, and these were the tunes were constantly bumped by the lunatic soundsystem ZR minibuses that careen drunkenly around the island to the chagrin of official public transit, police, and people who have faith in the British:

(not all are dancehall and none are bajan, there is actually a fair amount of people in barbados who don't like how jamaican music suffocates all of their locally produced music...)

Positive - Never Let Go
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlxG54fm-zM

Mavado - So Blessed
www.youtube.com/watch?v=We2ZnKLE9ac

John Legend ft. Buju Banton - Can't Be My Lover
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpVmxUuaxs

Vybz Kartel - Dollar Sign
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkW0Y_cL-k

Beenie Man - Pickney Nuh Hold You Down
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0nu4VT3l5E

and of course, Estelle ft. Sean Paul - Come Over
(you couldn't escape this one if you tried)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iaV0u2tsCs

Shame I couldn't find a record store for the life of me. I asked a few people but they all just tried to sell me their mixtapes.

mos dan

fact music
so as a new arrival to the paying-more-than-just-superficial-attention-to-dancehall world, this is the most recent current dancehall thread i could find.. why isn't there a rolling thread?

so, i have just worked two consecutive 15 hour days, and have been sustained largely by the following:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and the heatwave 'year in bashment' mix. completely share gabriel and ben's astonishment at how much good stuff busy signal is churning out, sort of continually...

mos dan

fact music
and how is this not totally brilliant, exactly? i think dancehall is filling a vocal void in my life left by grime mcs just sort of faffing about

wise

bare BARE BONES
This is the rolling thread, no-one's rolled it in a while.
Thanks for these Dan, sounding good :D

luka

how did you manage to grow up in south london and avoid dancehall until now dan? just out of curiosity...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Bugle and Gyptian tracks are brilliant - thanks for the post. Not feeling the Vegas/Sasco though - they come close to the kind of tracks that turned me off dancehall for a while...

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
Yep agree with you Dan the Bugle version of DNA is wicked (altho I dont really like the riddim in general) and RDX's version of Style and Swagga is a total persy!

This year has felt kind of slow for dancehall so far, loads of revival type riddims which i havent really enjoyed (Boops, Steel Frog etc) and only a couple of bits that ive been really feeling.

Been loving Jafrican riddim for a while, Busy definitely comes with the best version but Ding Dong & Cutty get an honourable mention:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Di Genius' new bit Bad People is heavy, proper ravey business (and an epic amount of verisons - literally like 20!) Think my favourite so far is Mavado (ive missed you gully god!) but Kibaki and Cham also smack it.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Makeida merked off Leftside on Official riddim and Bounce by Sizzla is alot (love the hats on this riddim)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GhBt83cHdU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GhBt83cHdU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8L2z3_Q3O9U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8L2z3_Q3O9U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Only other bit ive felt a couple of versions of recently has been Shaolin Temple, again Sizzla tops it on this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WOuFNQkBSAo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WOuFNQkBSAo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Finally (apologies for the plug) I did a promo mix for a hyponik night which we played a while back, while this is all a couple of months old (which equates to like 2 years in dancehall) i was pretty pleased with it in the end, might be worth checking if anyone wants a bit of a primer from the last coupla months of 2009.

Download here: http://wordpress.hyponik.com/2010/01...hyphyphyp-mix/
Stream here: http://www.mixcloud.com/Unknown_Soul...dancehall-mix/

Unknown Soulja Hyponik Promo Mix

1. Mr Vegas - Gallis (Tripple Bounce)
2. Aidonia - Bruk Out (Tripple Bounce)
3. Laden - Run Di Place (Tripple Bounce)
4. Movado - Hope & Pray (Tripple Bounce)
5. Ding Dong & QQ - Skip To Ma Lu
6. Leftside - See it Deh (10 Long 10 Strong)
7. Vybz Kartel - Seductive (10 Long 10 Strong)
8. Bugle - Unlimited (10 Long 10 Strong)
9. Ras Myrhdak - Bobo Love (Tenshun)
10. Sizzla - War (Tenshun)
11. Turbulence - Cursed Mouth (Tenshun)
12. Omar Cruz - Head While Im Driving
13. Chaka Demus - God Nah Sleep (Hot)
14. Ward 21 - Raggamuffin (Hot)
15. Bunny General - Ready fi the World (Hot)
16. Keesha - Shoulda let you go (Rustie resmak)
17. DJ Magic ft Badness - Badmind my Yout
18. Beyonce - Diva
19. Busy Signal - From Dem Diss
20. Alborosie - Cant Take What is Mine (Matches Lane)
21. Matthew Mcanuff - Di Herbs (Sun)
22. Movado - So Special (DJ Yohnny remix)
23. Demarco - About My Money (Airwolf)
24. Gaza Kim - Amen (England Town)
25. Shawn Storm - What Mi Really Like (England Town)
26. Likkle Danja - All I Need (England Town)
27. Leftside - In Deh (The Old Mattress)
28. Demarco - Nuh Whore (Go Go Club)
29. Blak Ryno - Bike Back (Go Go Club)
30. Vybz Kartel - Go Go Club (Go Go Club)
31. Grampa - Mi Tired (Go Go Club)
32. RDX - Wine Up (Mash Up)
33. Mr Vegas - Di Train (Mash Up)
34. Erup - Fight (Spark Plug)
35. Elephant Man - You Caan (Spark Plug)
36. Zebra - Right Away (Spark Plug)
37. Innocent - Will Power (G35)
38. Earthworm - Clowny (G35)
39. Spice - Dem a Chat (Troubles)
40. Assassin - Hands Inna Di Air
41. Focus Ryte - Name Brand Modelling (Style & Swagga)
42. RDX - Deliver Mi (Style & Swagga)
43. Elephant Man - You a Di Wife (School Bell)
44. Vybz Kartel - Gaza Ting A Ling (School Bell)
45. Lisa Hype - More Pon More (School Bell)
46. Charlie Black - No Way (Cheez Trix)
47. Natalie Storm - God Bless Me (Cheez Trix)
48. Rage - Hot Inna Your Clothes (Cheez Trix)
49. Lexus - Pussyclaart (Dropout)
50. Beenie Man - Gaza Mi Seh (Gaza Mi Seh)
51. Frisco Kid - Crazy Mi Crazy (Boasty)
52. Diplo ft Santogold - Guns of Brooklyn
53. Blak Ryno - Rifle a Bark (9:58)
54. Twin Of Twins - House (RR)
55. Predator - Bruck Ravers (RR)
56. Blak Ryno - Dont Stop Whine Gal (Fitness)
57. Vybz Kartel - Genie Whine (Fitness)
58. Capleton - Acres (Indiscretiona
59. Busy Signal - Beep (Indiscretion)
60. Assassin - Bees (Indiscretion)
61. Blak Ryno - I Wanna Be So Rich(Unknown Number)
62. Popcaan - Mi Soldier Dem (Unknown Number)
63. Vybz Kartel - Dem Get Murder (Unknown Number)
64. Charlie Black - Badder Dan Dem (Chiney Flava)
65. Marie Claire - Dancehall Opera (Chiney Flava)
66. Diversity - 5000 Dollar Bill
67. Juelz Sanchez - Drink it Out The Bottle (Unknown Soulja's Vocal Megamix)

mos dan

fact music
how did you manage to grow up in south london and avoid dancehall until now dan? just out of curiosity...

it's a fair question - i haven't avoided dancehall, it's always been there in the background, it's just i'm paying closer attention now.. everyone at my school listened to (american) hip hop really, with some enthusiasm for jungle and garage on the side.. i grew up in tooting (where jungle was especially big actually)..

o/t, is there a case for saying london-born asian-origin kids are more likely to listen to american pop music than anything else? i just say this cos as well as my experience at school, i met a guy who teaches at dizzee's old school a year or two back, he said most of the bangladeshi-origin kids there only listened to american stuff

...ps yes, big ups john, that mix will sort me out for tmw :)

Last edited:

gumdrops

http://thequietus.com/articles/03828-this-month-in-dancehall-by-neil-kulkarni

Amidst all this future-fuckery the return of Steely & Clevie's nutzoid 'Steel Frog' riddim (esp. with Capleton's 'Lip Lip Lip') is some retro I can live with, even if it casts a baleful, withering light on dancehall’s current progress. To be honest I simply wouldn't bother chasing riddims anymore. Keep on top of the shit bubbling on Youtube or even better (esp. if you’re an old tech-unfriendly fucka like me) stick to mixtapes, for we're not in a golden age and we are lazy. We're in an age where despite R&B's current paucity of newness, dancehall is still managing to take on and twist American styles into interesting new shapes: but the deeper disease, the lack of imagination in mainstream US R&B / rap is fatal for much dancehall as well — the return of 'Steel Frog' posits an intriguing thought that mebbe it's time for Jamaica to turn away from US influence a little, seek out their own unique lineage and slant a bit more often.