Spacemen3 book - anyone read it?

zhao

there are no accidents
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

oh shit i did not even know the SM3 version was a cover! one of my favorite songs!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
actually I'm going on a big S3 revival at the moment, and to be honest. the recordings are more fuller than I expected them to sound, and the shit sounds *better* than most of Spiritualized with all their trickery and gospel singers, the problem with Spiritualized is that they are slipping too easily into that U2-Coldplay Euro-ambiance post-rock guitar-band thing that is pretty much super mainstream these days, the sort of music the Royal Fasmily clicks their fingers to, actually! It's also fucken boring as shite.

low band

Great band, shite book. Playing with fire's the one that stands up best, some lovely weightless space ballads on that one. My first introduction to droney music really, coinciding with smoking weed for the first time and getting into lots of 60s stuff. Found out about the Stooges/MC5/13th floor elevators and The Cramps through them. Spacemen 3 were a really 'record collection rock' sort of band, not very original or innovative in themselves but they served as a good introduction to a lot of stuff for me anyways.

Spot on that Benny regarding the book and everything else.
pretty much the same here about getting into record collecting and obscure stuff after getting into Spacemen 3, although I was listening to The Cramps before Spacemen 3 (I used to subscribe to their zine 'Outer Limits' where Sonic mentioned that he and Jason started out together sniffing gas and listning to The Cramps) I also had an old StingRays 12" with the band on the cover standing in front of a huge 13th Floor Elevators symbol but only made the connection after listening to Rollercoaster (and finding out who did the original).

I used to like the way Spacemen 3 would pinch different lyrics and riffs from here and there and mix them up, much prefer the Spectrum/Sonic axis since their demise, not much into what Jason's been doing.

BTW, my first purchase by 'Suicide' was a tape of the live album 'Half Alive' from Old Hits in Newcastle's Haymarket many moons ago.