London pubs

IdleRich

IdleRich
"true that, i used to go in there a bit, cos it's quite local but its a sports pub with a noisy shit jukebox now."
Yeah, went there yesterday after playing football. A lot of the teams from my league go there as well so I guess that makes it a football pub. You're right about the juke box, way too loud, I can't stand music in pubs that is too loud to talk. Still, classic pork scratchings and tasty, cheap Thai food and a good outside bit for summer.
In fact, we go there every week, it seems to be the best round there, all the others have either karoake or shitty live bands or pub quizzes (in fact, not just any quiz but music quizzes which means that every time you speak about a hundred people tell you to shut up) on a Thursday.

mms

sometimes
Yeah, went there yesterday after playing football. A lot of the teams from my league go there as well so I guess that makes it a football pub. You're right about the juke box, way too loud, I can't stand music in pubs that is too loud to talk. Still, classic pork scratchings and tasty, cheap Thai food and a good outside bit for summer.
In fact, we go there every week, it seems to be the best round there, all the others have either karoake or shitty live bands or pub quizzes (in fact, not just any quiz but music quizzes which means that every time you speak about a hundred people tell you to shut up) on a Thursday.

i go to one called the noble, mainly cos it's the closest and it's quite quiet nowdays, you're right about the outside in the summer bit though, it's good for that.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
The Lexington, Angel

nice pub like (FAP link), and i went for the Rough Trade quiz last night which was a laff, and renowned for a good range of bourbons, but blow me, some of them are priced up to fifty pound a measure.

they must sell some now and again at the top end otherwise why bother with those prices?

luka

whats wrong with pubs selling thai food. thai food goes good with booze.
not that i've ever eaten thai food at a pub but still, nothing wrong with the concept. beats microwave lasagne.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i agree.

not London, but i had a decent massaman ruby at the Bartons Arms in north Birmingham once.

went very well with a pint of Cambridgeshire ale.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Can anyone recommend a nice pub (not too busy, room to sit ideally) within walking distance of Aldwych? may be one on this thread already, but have looked through and couldn't find it at a glance. Cheers!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ye Olde Cock is quite roomy, but I tend to find the lovely 17th (?) century exterior belies a rather 'generic old-ish trad London pub'-type interior. Unfavourable reviews of beer and service on beerintheevening.com - was there myself a few weeks ago, it was OK I guess (Scott, can you comment on this one?).

Great beers at the George, gets busy though so probably not somewhere you'd be guaranteed a seat - depending on when you're going, of course.

That's the thing though, innit - the good pubs get busy because lots of people go to them! Though you do sometimes find a great, quiet pub, which is brilliant, and conversely there's something uncommonly depressing about a real shithole that always seems to be packed (hur hur hur).

Oh, just remembered - you can usually find a seat at the Old Cheshire Cheese (Fleet Street) simply because it's MASSIVE (and partly underground!). Good mega-cheap Sam Smith's bitter, although they have an annoying habit of chilling it too much; great bottles too, though they're quite pricey. I've eaten there a couple of times, food seems dependable.

craner

Beast of Burden
whats wrong with pubs selling thai food. thai food goes good with booze.

Of course it does, in Thai restaurants. Not in pubs. Fish and chips or a steak and kidney pie or a Sunday Roast.

The Cheshire Cheese is one of the most uncomfortable pubs I've drank in -- and try finding your seat after going for a piss having downed a few. In fact, try finding the loo. I'm sort of fond of it -- a big old Inns of Court relic, it would be tragic to change it.

Isn't Ye Olde Cock a sad ex-journalist's relic, now? A bit like the Pillars of Hercules in Soho -- that old literary racontuer's choice, then Foyles local, now a dark empty shell, not even attractive or atmospheric enough to retain its its old echoes.

Remember that old naval pub I took you to in Kensington, Scott? The Tea Clipper?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Can anyone recommend a nice pub (not too busy, room to sit ideally) within walking distance of Aldwych? may be one on this thread already, but have looked through and couldn't find it at a glance. Cheers!
The Edgar Wallace has a lot of nice beer, although based on our one trip there it's not neccessarily somewhere to go if you like sitting down.

Don't really get the hate for the Faltering Fullback - the outside upstairs bit is quite good, the low lighting is a nice change from modern pubs that feel like an interrogation room and the music never seems to be that loud when we go in there. I wouldn't travel miles to go there but I wouldn't complain much if it was my local.

massrock

Been into the re-opened Southampton Arms by Gospel Oak a couple of times.

Veery nice. Only doing ales and ciders from small independent breweries on hand pumps. Music on vinyl, there's a deck behind the bar. Open fire. Basic, just the good stuff. Seems to be quite popular already, I hope they do well.

PM me if you fancy a pint.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That sounds awesome, massrock! It'd be a bit of a trek for me but perhaps it's time the Dissensus London posse broke out of the usual Hackney/Stokey/Dalston ghetto...

luka

i love the north london line. its my favourite. i once saw ghetto catching that train north bound from stratford.