Cock Sparrer

DannyL

Wild Horses
Cock Sparrer had a track on a compilation CD I ended up with a while back, "Waiting for the last train to Dagenham". It was about having a "few beers up West" (actual lyrics) and going home again. Weird stuff. Odd analogy but it brings out the same feelings in me as watching Gavin & Stacey - it's too close to bits of my life (now gone, that I wasn't fond of) for me to be able to enjoy for entertainment purposes.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I want to be swept into a malestorm of psychedelic toytown ecstasy, not taken down the dogs.

Having said that, I did enjoy England Belongs to Me, and Argy Bargy (I think?) when I had 'em on a tape years ago.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Does anyone wanna talk about Hagar the Womb?

I do! tho tbh I just kind of picked them out of a mental hat of fairly obscure (well as obscure as anything can be nowadays with "The Day the Country Died" & peacepunk nostalgia in full swing...) peacepunk bands...tho Hagar is also interesting cos, very much against zeitgeist, they weren't afraid to be silly/playful...I actually find this to be more interesting than their music tho "Idolization" is the jam...

*EDIT* here we are...egads that HAIR...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

padraig (u.s.)

what do man think? is there need for a peacepunk thread? especially interested as I reckon some of you guys are *cough* of the age to have actually been around for it...whereas I just spent my teenage yrs as a massive peacepunk fanatic...oh hell thread hijack...

D.I.R.T., The Mob, Rudi P, Omega Tribe, ALTERNATIVE, Toxic Waste, Anthrax, Honey Bane, Poison Girls, Rubella Ballet, Flowers in the Dustbin, Lost Cherrees, ZOUNDS, Chumbas, Icons of Filth...ANTI-SECT...

peacepunk was neither "peace" nor "punk"...discuss...

martin

----
Nah, just derail this thread - save online resources.

I mostly listened to A-punk (not sure I ever thought the 'peace' bit was viable) in the late 80s and early 90s, prob ages 12 to 19. To me, Conflict summed it up - they were the ones banned from the UK at one stage, synonymous with Class War / the ALF / every anarchist scare story you'd get in the UK tabloids during the 80s. One of the few bands of the lot that really sounded like they were going to kick it over - sadly, they seemed to spiral downhill after 1987 and have never been the same again since.

DIRT were ace, yelpy vocals and scratchy guitars, but allegedly complete twats as people - taking money from benefit funds and their drummer was linked to the British Movement, or such. Icons of Filth! God, think I still have their LP somewhere...really nice, dirty guitar sound, and completely OTT lyrics. I don't think any other group made radioactive grim reapers and cracked skulls on crucifixes quite as popular...

"Hex" by Poison Girls was great, though some of their later stuff is atrocious. Does anyone remember Potential Threat? Female-fronted thrash band who were fanatically pro-ALF - I think "The Hunt Is On" landed them in hot water with Special Branch, after pretty much exhorting listeners to smash up laboratories and attack scientists.

And the 1st and 5th Apostles EPs are indispensable - nice foldout sleeves with info on fiddling your electricity meter, breaking into disused flats, constructing DIY bombs - oh, and a list of women who'd seriously upset the singer. Probably the only anarcho band to knock out tunes that sounded like Hackney basement renditions of Morricone soundtracks, and with smart, savage lyrics. Didn't go down well with the 'pacifist' elements.

Honey Bane's first EP was pretty cool too. Also liked Lack of Knowledge, who were a total Joy Division ripoff, but at least they did it well.

Peace? Well, political perspectives aside, I think if you'd told a few fair of them, to their faces, that their bands sucked, you'd have seen their violent sides come out...

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Poison Girls had some great songs, and some rather daft ones. The Zounds album is not bad, though not as great as some people reckon IMO. Conflict goes without saying almost, though I wouldn't listen to them all day if you know what I mean. Does anyone remember the name of their song which has samples of news coverage of riot through it?

STN

sou'wester
Was it the ungovernable force?

Is it time for me to ask if anyone's heard of Reality Control?

martin

----
Incidentally, I once met the drummer in State Hate at someone's party in Dulwich, so that's the most obscure musician I've ever met.

martin

----
Does anyone know if Don McCullin ever got paid for the umpteen records released between '79 and '85 that used his harrowing photos in some shape or form?

STN

sou'wester
I once met a guy who'd been in Brutal Attack. I didn't like him, as you might imagine.

padraig (u.s.)

...not sure I ever thought the 'peace' bit was viable...

that's just shorthand we used growing up to distinguish it from all the other A-punk which had cropped up by that time (late-90s/early 00s) - of the crust/d-beat variety...the Antisect (who produced by Colin from Flux I think)/Discharge/Doom lineage as it were...

...To me, Conflict summed it up - they were the ones banned from the UK at one stage, synonymous with Class War / the ALF / every anarchist scare story you'd get in the UK tabloids during the 80s. One of the few bands of the lot that really sounded like they were going to kick it over - sadly, they seemed to spiral downhill after 1987 and have never been the same again since.

yeh I remember being awed as a young teen by the sheer force Crass & later Conflict had seemed to exert - I mean not mainstream but these were unashamedly anarchist punk bands that (ironically of course) got into the bloody pop charts, into the news...not just that but Crass were like the Belleville Three of punk to me...with Conflict as Carl Craig or something...

D.I.R.T. (Death Is Reality Today -> uh, Drunks In Rusty Transits) yeh I had the 2xLP discography for a long time...great great band...they survived well into the 90s had a great split 7" w/Mankind? on either PE or Tribal War...OBJECT REFUSE REJECT ABUSE...doesn't surprise to hear they were right twats tho...

I never actually liked the Poison Girls...I mean the idea of a 50 yr mom fronting an anarchopunk band is totally great...but the music not so much...

padraig (u.s.)

if I'm honest my favorite is really The Mob by a long shot..."Witch Hunt" & of course "No Doves Fly Here" is a total bummer anthem...

love Zounds as well...sorry Andy...really interesting that Zounds (& the Mob too I think?) came from that free festival scene as opposed to punk backgrounds...actually never got into The Apostles tho I've read some stuff that the guy's written...really good essay on the inevitable failures of anarchopunk...

also RUDIMENTARY PENI...oh man seeing Dystopia cover "Cosmetic Plague" live is still one of my most thrilling musical experiences...

was really into Alternative, Scotland's finest...great band...In Nomine Patri is suuuuuch a great record...the LP's good too but not on the same level...

& Toxic Waste, from Belfast...totally amazing LP on Mortarhate...& some them I believe later went on to be in Bleeding Rectum, also Pink Turds In Space...speaking of which SEDITION (aka Disaffect, Scatha, etc.)...totally amazing latter-day anarcho D-beat/crust/thrash...

petergunn

plywood violin
RUDIMENTARY PENI
Nothing to...say.....just...fucking......yes.

totally awesome....

to me, it's a tossup between Blitz and Cock Sparrer as the two best Oi bands ever... both totally different styles...

Argy Bargy
England Belongs to Me
Take Em All (my fav!)
what's it like to be old
we're coming back (always felt someone could do a great slow soul cover of this, seriously... )

blitz:

razors in the night
fuck you
warriors
someone's gonna die tonight

the REAL question is, what is more ridiculous/silly: Cock Sparrer's pub rock/fake Stones/generic rock tracks, or Blitz's bad electro/pop New Order rip off tracks???????

Last edited:

martin

----
Never really got into Blitz, cos one of them had a moustache. "Someone's Gonna Die" is OK but "New Age" is awful...

STN

sou'wester
I like the version of Warriors where it say 'wah-ri-ahs' in a funny theatrical voice at the chorus.

Leo

has anyone yet mentioned discharge? sitting on this side of the atlantic, i recall their sound really blowing a lot of similar bands away. also remember sort of liking offshoot band broken bones.