playing smaller venues

shaolinsoul

i've found township funk is always a big success at little bars/parties/parties in little bars - everyone seems to love that tune. also big classic dancehall tunes like here i come always go down well.... some classic-period destiny's child and similar... some sweet 80s jams like lisa lisa and cult jam... inevitable that someone will come up and ask for kings of leon at some point though

Sorry, but who else things "township funk" is just over hyped pants?

80's stuff is very very good to bubble to, I should go see dam funk sometime.

shaolinsoul

will be putting up a sign which says "NO REQUESTS". not joking.

township funk is a simple and beautiful little tune. also historically important.

My No requests list for the dance as verbatim on the night.

NO - Autotune I cant sing for my life RAP
NO - TRANCE
NO - RUSKO
NO - Kenny Dope post 1998 coffetable house/ hairy chest macho miami shit
NO - Bullshit Tech-House
NO - Post 1994 d&b
NO - RUSKO GODDAMMIT!
NO - Richie hawtin toyboy minimalesque rubbish
NO - Wearing of shades in the dance ()
NO - Requesting of music that pertains to any permutation of the above while still wearing your shades in the dance.

thank you.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Sorry, but who else things "township funk" is just over hyped pants?"
Not me.

"I reckon you should stick on Bucketheads - The Bomb (Sounds Fall Into My Mind) at some point"
I think that version does cut off a little of the fat compared to this one

IdleRich

IdleRich
If for some weird reason I was dj-ing in a small venue isntead of the enormous ones where I normally play I would still probably play the same old nonsense and hope that people were into it (and if they're not fuck 'em) ie this kind of thing

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
If for some weird reason I was dj-ing in a small venue isntead of the enormous ones where I normally play I would still probably play the same old nonsense and hope that people were into it (and if they're not fuck 'em) ie this kind of thing

What a fkin racket ! ;) good though , i played the Dogstar in Brixton on thursday, mixed it up with singles & poppy dubstep, seemed to go down OK but the other folks were playing Desmond Dekker et al, yawn, how many times do you really need to hear all that stuff, i can't see see the point.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"What a fkin racket ! good though , i played the Dogstar in Brixton on thursday, mixed it up with singles & poppy dubstep, seemed to go down OK but the other folks were playing Desmond Dekker et al, yawn, how many times do you really need to hear all that stuff, i can't see see the point."
Well, I may have been drunk when I linked to that but I stand by it - I'd probably be drunk if I were dj-ing.
I know what you mean about just playing the same old songs, my friend calls it being a jukebox and I know what he means. Normally works though depressingly enough.

zhao

there are no accidents
You must feel like a really big man Shaolin....

feeling sizeable meself this morning :D my tight set worked super good, kept people dancing and yelping with joy until 7 AM. heavy on the deep afro psych beat funk disco jazz boogie, with some kwaito and western disco shit for contrast, and a touch of post-punk and rock to round things off. what did not work was the electro-pop (contrary to what i thought). only request was these 3 girls wanted, big surprise, amy winehouse. 3 different people approached about future gigs, and the bar booked me to play again on the spot :D

exhausted but happy...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
i did bring a few well known tunes just in case, and the only one i ended up playing, because i thought it might have been a good break for people to cool down a bit, was Love and Rockets So Alive - the dance floor emptied in seconds, and i felt really cheap and cheesy. perhaps the crowd in that part of berlin is a lot hipper and sophisticated than your average bar crowd, but people just really wanted the hard afro funk and kwaito... but will keep More Bounce in there for future emergency situations (pretty sure it will come up)

muser

My No requests list for the dance as verbatim on the night.

NO - Autotune I cant sing for my life RAP
NO - TRANCE
NO - RUSKO
NO - Kenny Dope post 1998 coffetable house/ hairy chest macho miami shit
NO - Bullshit Tech-House
NO - Post 1994 d&b
NO - RUSKO GODDAMMIT!
NO - Richie hawtin toyboy minimalesque rubbish
NO - Wearing of shades in the dance ()
NO - Requesting of music that pertains to any permutation of the above while still wearing your shades in the dance.

thank you.

ahah thats brilliant!

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
For Shaolin, muser and anyone else that really thinks that 94 (!) was the cut-off for good dnb - please, please have a listen to some of the wonders and delights in the Junglist Auteurs thread.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
For Shaolin, muser and anyone else that really thinks that 94 (!) was the cut-off for good dnb - please, please have a listen to some of the wonders and delights in the Junglist Auteurs thread.

yeah that's absolute madness...I was going to say something but I figured what's the point...surely some point from '96 to '98 (depending on your tastes) is what you're looking for there...

also on a related note; I, like Andy, am no DJ, but I was wondering, wouldn't a lot of classic breakbeat ardkore tunes go down fairly well at these smaller venue nights? especially slower ones with heavy piano & more prominent vocal lines, as well as the housier stuff (that is, with a 4x4 kick underpinning everything)...I'm think stuff like Desired State - "Dance the Dream", 2-X-Treme - "Breakhoven", Manix - "Feel Real Good" of course, anything off the Open Skies 12", early Orca productions...even the original version of "Finest Illusion" with those sublime SOS Band vox...

actually thinking about perhaps DJs do perhaps play a fair bit of this stuff in the UK? cos no one plays it here (well, maybe Dev/Null from blogtotheoldskool)...

shaolinsoul

yeah that's absolute madness...I was going to say something but I figured what's the point...surely some point from '96 to '98 (depending on your tastes) is what you're looking for there...

also on a related note; I, like Andy, am no DJ, but I was wondering, wouldn't a lot of classic breakbeat ardkore tunes go down fairly well at these smaller venue nights? especially slower ones with heavy piano & more prominent vocal lines, as well as the housier stuff (that is, with a 4x4 kick underpinning everything)...I'm think stuff like Desired State - "Dance the Dream", 2-X-Treme - "Breakhoven", Manix - "Feel Real Good" of course, anything off the Open Skies 12", early Orca productions...even the original version of "Finest Illusion" with those sublime SOS Band vox...

actually thinking about perhaps DJs do perhaps play a fair bit of this stuff in the UK? cos no one plays it here (well, maybe Dev/Null from blogtotheoldskool)...

Yeah I play a lot of early hardcore and just mix it with techno in a set, I seem to find out everytime that a lot of the ruffneck early jungle tekno stuff, where the beats were on the 4 with a manic break and some 909 hat pattern on top just runs the dancefloor everytime, I think this was the style around 93.

Particularly the Basement Records and Wax Doctor/Jack Smooth engineered stuff which I love to death. Theres just this energy and vibe about jungle tekno, I love it, and Wax Doctor for sampling all my favorite detroit techno tunes!

padraig (u.s.)

Yeah I play a lot of early hardcore and just mix it with techno in a set, I seem to find out everytime that a lot of the ruffneck early jungle tekno stuff, where the beats were on the 4 with a manic break and some 909 hat pattern on top just runs the dancefloor everytime, I think this was the style around 93.

Particularly the Basement Records and Wax Doctor/Jack Smooth engineered stuff which I love to death. Theres just this energy and vibe about jungle tekno, I love it, and Wax Doctor for sampling all my favorite detroit techno tunes!

man have you seen the Junglist Auteur thread then? cause you should really go over there & vote for Basement Records then - no one has yet...

I love all that stuff as well - Kev Bird, DJ Mayhem & so on. jungle tekno is one of those sounds which it seems came & went very quickly but is quite revered. which is good cause it never gotten overexposed to death like, say, amen rinseouts, but unfortunately it seems like there's not a whole lot of it...the other label I always associate with jungle tekno is Rabbit City (esp. those great Force Mass Motion records) tho that's more tekno where Basement was more jungle. Also Anthill Mob, pretty much anything by Tango (or Tango & Ratty or Tango & Fallout), a lot early of Cloud 9 (Nookie) especially as you'd expect the Back to Detroit EP, Top Buzz of course...love it all...

actually tho, & again I'm no DJ, I was thinking more of the breakbeat house-ish stuff a la Orca for playing in these sets but hey, what do I know...anyway it's quite a fine line between breakbeat house & junge tekno anyway...bpms, darkness/uplifting balance, how hoover-ish the synths sound & stuff...& so on...

padraig (u.s.)

a couple of my favorite lesser-known (I think?) jungle tekno tunes...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

alright this one maybe isn't lesser-known but I couldn't resist...

& neither is this one...but come on...the bit where the "Injected With a Poison" (a total classic in it's own right) sample comes in never fails to put a big dumb grin on my face...