Code-switching

dominic

Beast of Burden
DavidD said:
i think the complexities of appropriation etc. are a bit more entangled than simply "i talk white or i'm being dishonest and appropriating." I mean look at music as a parallel - if white people didn't engage with black music, what kind of music would we be listening to right now! And people do say this to me all the time re: my music taste...listening to 3-6 mafia or Aaliyah or something ('do you think you're black?')

Similarly, I'd say black culture (and i'm using this as an example, clearly many, many cultures have contributed to the language of American - wasn't the word "OK" a native american one originally? I'm not sure which particular American Indian nation it was, but i'm pretty sure i recall reading that somewhere) has had a massive effect on language in the united states, and words that generations ago might have been pretty "edgy" to white mainstream due to their association w/ black culture become co-opted over time and its just a part of the intangibility of culture. And in some ways, I think that the influence of black language on american language as a whole is a positive thing.

I think we're largely in agreement, but just to clarify . . . . First, I distinguished b/w appropriating (1) this or that slang term and what I called (2) wholesale appropriation of rhythms and speech patterns, or mimicking. So, yes, I'm all for appropriating slang terms because, often, slang is either (1) the best way to make a point, i.e., more "economically efficient" than standard language; (2) more responsive or revelatory of new realities than existing language; or (3) more adequate to realities of the so-called margins of society, whether the margin is an ethnic community or a sector of nightlife or what have you. But in referring to "wholesale appropriation/mimickry," I had in mind what slang calls whiggery (the white middle-class graffiti artist strawman) or else what is in essence a variation on minstrelsy (white kids talking jive with each other) -- but again, perhaps i'm inventing/invoking stereotypes

Second, there's a difference b/w getting into black music and talking street jive. And the difference is that speech is much more the speaker's own self expression -- what we say and how we say it, i.e., our relationship to language, is directly constitutive of the "self" -- whereas the music we play or listen to, the baggy pants and JA floppy hats we wear, the books on hip hop and rasta culture we may read, these latter things belong more to the objects that we place around ourselves, in marking off our space and movements . . . . Okay, maybe I'm not making a valid distinction. Perhaps the speech as inside vs. music/clothes/books as outside scheme is not in the least convincing . . . . That is, all of these things are closely tied to identity, but I think how a person chooses to speak is most closely related to his identity; then perhaps mode of dressing; followed by what he listens to and reads

Also, all these things that I claim are constitutive of identity are more in the nature of "easy choice" than "disciplined action." The music we make, the essays we write, the paintings we paint, the jobs we do, in short, the things we accomplish through practice and effort, though these determine how we "appear" and are "known" by the wider world, these are in fact less constitutive of personal identity than the easy choices relating to how we speak & dress and what we consume in terms of clothing, reading material, and records/cds . . . .

Okay, I've clearly lost the thread . . . .

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
getting back to appropriating black music versus appropriating hip hop street speech

no matter how much I may prize black music -- and i prize it highly -- and i "understand" black music on the dancefloor or just relaxing in my apartment much more than i ever have other kinds of music -- i don't lose sight of the fact that others (blacks) have first claim on the music, i.e., that the music is rooted in their culture and that its best producers & artists are generally black

but i think that once a person starts to speak a certain way -- once he does more than use the odd slang term, but starts to speak in full-throttle "code" (perhaps you could elaborate more on what you mean by "code"?????) -- then he is either (1) forgetting himself, i.e., thinks he is ruffer & tuffer than he actually is, or he is (2) playing silly games, cheapening life & social exchange, mimicking

hmmmm -- i sound really moralistic! (or worse, afraid of a kind of miscegenation)

but i'm trying to making sense of my "gut" reaction to white middle-class types talking hip hop jive

that is, i don't find persuasive any of the arguments that i've made thus far -- but i stand by my gut reaction

ziggurat

Actually, I think code switching is when you alternate between two languages (or dialects, etc.) in the course of the same interaction with a single person. For instance, me and my brothers are bilingual, and when we were smaller we often used to mix two languages in a single sentence. My mother (a linguistics professor) called this code-switching.

afrobongo

Third Worldist
ziggurat said:
Actually, I think code switching is when you alternate between two languages (or dialects, etc.) in the course of the same interaction with a single person. For instance, me and my brothers are bilingual, and when we were smaller we often used to mix two languages in a single sentence. My mother (a linguistics professor) called this code-switching.

I did this too...

And I do code-switch a lot.

And I actually can't (not that i even want to) speak African French Slangs around people that don't.

zhao

there are no accidents
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

luka

i dont have a true accent. i been around too many diifferent people. thinking about it is a bit destabilising sometimes but i dont care.