current trends that will age horribly

slye

Allied Heights
the whole unfunny post-Office pseudo-documentary thing showing up everywhere

the whole Judd Apatow comedy troupe, the Will Ferrell experience (am i way off base, or are these guys just not as funny as they think they are)

people saying stuff like "I listen to everything except _____ and _____" where _____ is either country, rap, metal, classical, etc. (although admittedly this has been going on for years)

ironically enjoying things

the surreal self-belief of american idol contestants and that cod I'm oh so soulful style of singing

Kanye West (as the Arrested Development of this decade)

indie kids

Juno

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
the whole Judd Apatow comedy troupe, the Will Ferrell experience (am i way off base, or are these guys just not as funny as they think they are)

Almost none of those 'frat pack' comedy movies are funny, if that's what you're referring to, with the exception of Anchorman and possibly Wedding Crashers. It's a shame because some of the people involved like Vince Vaughan clearly have personality and could be funny in a different context. The (lazy as all hell) Starsky and Hutch remake felt like a real low point of this whole trend to me.

Edit: Actually, is it 'frat back' or 'brat pack' they call themselves? Or both? Like the rat pack but not nearly as good, anyway.
Edit edit: I thankfully forgot the real worst of those movies, Zoolander. Oh God I hate myself just for watching it.

Last edited:

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Almost none of those 'frat pack' comedy movies are funny, if that's what you're referring to, with the exception of Anchorman and possibly Wedding Crashers. It's a shame because some of the people involved like Vince Vaughan clearly have personality and could be funny in a different context. The (lazy as all hell) Starsky and Hutch remake felt like a real low point of this whole trend to me.

Edit: Actually, is it 'frat back' or 'brat pack' they call themselves? Or both? Like the rat pack but not nearly as good, anyway.
Edit edit: I thankfully forgot the real worst of those movies, Zoolander. Oh God I hate myself just for watching it.

Anchorman and Old School are decent, the rest....... not so much.

I hope the big stupid prescription specs trend fucks off (especially when they have NO BLOODY LENSES), even if it is almost exclusively restricted to American Apparel/Urban Outfitters employees.

slye

Allied Heights
I think Brat Pack is the 80's high school movie crew in movies such as The Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty In Pink etc. The John Hughes contingent.

And the Frat Pack was all the Old School permutation guys (Ferrell, Vaughn, the brothers Wilson, etc.) I could be way off on this though.

zhao

there are no accidents
I hope the big stupid prescription specs trend fucks off

yes, prescription glasses are so lame, unnecessary, and make anyone who wears them look like giant assholes. (just kidding i know what you mean)

been listening to a bit of comedy lately, due to music overdose sometimes when working, and i have to say the legendary 70s stuff is just heads taller than contemporary comedians: Rich Pryor, Peter Cook, etc. are people becoming less funny? is the "genre" in decline? or is it just me?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I reckon Nintendo & Commodore 64 percussion and arpeggiating stuff will ... maybe not age horribly, but clearly date certain kinds of music.

(wonky)

bassnation

the abyss
its a new thing in dance music though which has always put bass and drums before mid

i've got tonnes of hardcore that inverts that relationship. the oscillator sound cuts right through bass. thats initially what attracted me to rave, having come from hardcore punk (people like extreme noise terror, napalm death, doom etc) was the power thing so evident in rave music. it was much later that the reggae bass component sucked me in.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
the whole unfunny post-Office pseudo-documentary thing showing up everywhere

The only other show bar the American version of the Office I can think of that does this is Trailer Park Boys and that came before the Office and is a work of staggering brilliance.