the cops

scottdisco

rip this joint please
sadly as the current system is set in the UK intercept transcripts etc for court use, would be too costly in terms of manpower and hours. by too costly, i mean, impossible to render.

it is such a crying shame.

the USA is the envy of security services elsewhere in terms of the generous funding their security organisations and crime-fighting bodies get (of course at the lower-level this generalisation becomes more and more imprecise: i gather the stony broke nature of the Baltimore PD portrayed in The Wire is pretty true-to-life).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Part of the reason that they want longer detention without trial is because they often haven't the resources to interview people straight away or gather the necessary evidence in time. Seems a shame that we have to compromise our freedom 'cause the police haven't got enough money to do the job as quickly as it could be done but there you go.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
well i mean not just the USA, i don't have figures to hand elsewhere but of course the likes of Guojia Anquan Bu and India's Intelligence Bureau are - i would stab in the dark - pretty well funded.

VEVAK certainly is.

massrock

Of course I don't have figures but the inefficiency of govt. spending is staggering and I'm sure the intel services are lumbered with having to do all sorts of pointless stuff.

That's interesting though scott, sounds like you have an interest. Are you a spy? :slanted:

I mean you don't hear the resources argument much wrt wanting longer detention, I guess cos it would make them look ineffectual publicly.

vimothy

yurp
The new era of terrorism is very problematic with regards to traditional understandings of intelligence, and hence to traditional institutional frameworks for intelligence gathering and analysis. What I mean is, intelligence failures in the run up to 9/11, e.g., generally have their roots in a particular way of understanding the role of intelligence and the legal policies that enable it.

Have more to add later...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The obvious solution is to outsource police intelligence to the private sector.

Obviously.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
MI5 'starved of funds' in run-up to July 7 attacks

includes a short, useful list at the end
The conspiracy theories... and the truth

and I'm sure the intel services are lumbered with having to do all sorts of pointless stuff.

oh i bet.

That's interesting though scott, sounds like you have an interest. Are you a spy? :slanted:

no.

I mean you don't hear the resources argument much wrt wanting longer detention, I guess cos it would make them look ineffectual publicly.

from the pov of the British security services longer detention is not, and should not be, warranted; however, the buck stops with the police, who are the people that have to take action on the intelligence.

which brings us back nicely to the title of this thread :)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Don't know if this has been discussed or not, noteworthy nonetheless. What a waste of money.

Yeah, saw that on on the Beeb last night. "Wast of money is" is about right, ahem!

El Torygraph said:
A pilot scheme for airside workers, which marked the first attempt at making the £4.9 billion programme compulsory for British nationals has been abandoned.

You could buy almost two entire Large Hadron Colliders for that. :eek:

sufi

lala
i was off work for a week this month and around london and i swear i had a severe police encounter every single day
  • 2 big police checks at Hackney downs, stop & searches (only apparently of black people), altho this was after a kid got stabbed, the whole entrance to the station blocked up with metal detectors etc...
  • stopped once cos i was in a river, minding my own business
  • got home one evening to find my entire (quiet, suburban) street under roadblock, with a stealth white van up the road doing electornic checks then pulling anyone the computer disliked
i don't know if it's just my impression but is this level of activity normal or increased? it right shit me up anyway i can tell you

the hackney downs case was the most intimidating and irritating as i walked straight thru, bifta in hand, clearly because of being white....

sufi

lala
o yes and eyeballed badly by a cop with a semi-automatic one day in green park - i was smoking & he obv couldnt leave his post gaurding some st james doorway :eek::D

crackerjack

Given how many people were claiming RBS' windows were smashed by police agent provateurs, seems only fair they're permitted an absurd conspiracy all of their own. Though this one - involving not just one fake fully kitted-out 'cop', but also three coleagues and a dog - may be pushing it a little.

Is taking the public for mugs a criminal offence, same as wasting police time?

massrock

According to an officer investigating the 47-year-old's death he could have clashed with a protester "dressed in police uniform" before he collapsed at the G20 demonstrations on 1 April.
Well yeah, he could have been trampled by a herd of wilderbeest sweeping majestically across the City but it's also not very likely. And someone would probably have noticed that as well.

Maybe it was Police dressed as protesters dressed as Police getting all confused and freaking out with Substance D withdrawal?

Mind you, check this out from Julian Cope's experience of the day.

Of course, I was dressed extremely dodgily, with my hair up in a black wig and dressed in the kind of all-purpose rural chic that couldn’t have been further from my regular Rock God image (!). The police, however, were so fucking paranoid that they conducted a Stop & Search on me at the top of the escalators at 10.20; a full 40 minutes before the march had even started. Of course, I declined to give my name and address and, having no ID or cards on me, they detained me and wrote down a description. Unfortunately, when the main cop read on the report that I was wearing a stab vest, he came over personally and demanded to look at it. I just about managed to take the thing off without disturbing my wig, but the cop told me he believed the vest was part of a stolen consignment of police uniforms and gear, and that I’d taken off the labels to hide this fact. Kiddies, I’ve had this stab vest at least two years and wear it any time I’m in the city, but the cops just used this as an excuse to do a full body search and they soon confiscated my burka, a pair of women’s tights and all of my (expensive) police body armour. All of this occurred in full view of the general public and was clearly done just to make a show of me. When I still didn’t give my name, they sat me in a van to think about it for hours and the fucking protest went off with me detained. In the meantime, dammit, an exultant Merrick was texting me from Bishopsgate telling me the Climate Camp have taken over, while Gyrus had been penned in at the Bank of England. With hindsight, I’ll admit I looked extremely dodgy. But what got me most was how the police discovered all of my gear but still didn’t realize I was wearing a 99p black eBay wig! On the Stop & Search report I’m even described as having ‘Hair: black, short.’ I can’t show you my face on the self-portrait I took as I plan to use this disguise again in the future, but Holy McGrail referred to it as Scargill Chic and pointed out that there are clearly blonde tufts visible from underneath the rug. If McGrail could suss it from the crappy mobile phone photo (shown above), then so much for the West’s so-called War on Terror. What the fuck!

http://headheritage.co.uk/addressdrudion/119/2009