Good tunes by "bad" artists

IdleRich

IdleRich
I have got Lamplighter but it aint all that. Run Shaker Life is the tune he did that people pay big money for but from what I remember that's not that good either. Kind of unusual I suppose.
Crazy Horses and Matchstick Men already mentioned.

crackerjack

Soneone was mentioning some good Ralph McTell tracks on that other board, Rich. There's also the psych LP by The Osmonds (Crazy Horses), Paul Nichols "Lamplighter" (you've got that ain't ya?), various Northern soul sides by David Essex and various other naff singers - and I'm sure loads more which I can't remember. Oh, and The Bee Gees. I haven't heard much of their earlier stuff but it's all soft-psych killers apparently.

Bee Gees can't possibly be counted as bad artists, unless we're talking likee Michael Jackson 'bad'. Most of SNF is brilliant (Tragedy or Staying Alive is like some Philly next shit), and I Can't See Nobody is one of the best records ever made, albeit only when sung by Nina Simone.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I have got Lamplighter but it aint all that. Run Shaker Life is the tune he did that people pay big money for but from what I remember that's not that good either. Kind of unusual I suppose.
Crazy Horses and Matchstick Men already mentioned.

I agree with you actually. It's one of those records that's got a buzz around it but is not that great. His vocals are fucking hanging IMO.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Bee Gees can't possibly be counted as bad artists, unless we're talking likee Michael Jackson 'bad'. Most of SNF is brilliant (Tragedy or Staying Alive is like some Philly next shit), and I Can't See Nobody is one of the best records ever made, albeit only when sung by Nina Simone.

I don't like Staying Alive due to over-exposure (the track) but I heard some of their earlier stuff recently and it's brilliant - most noticeably "Sir Geoffry Saves the World" and "Deeply Deeply Me".

nochexxx

harco pronting
scrapping the barrel a bit here but i always liked

boy's don't cry - wanna be a cowboy

interstingly the tunes i've chosen both have a junkie cowboy vibe.

slye

Allied Heights
Queens flash gordon soundtrack, some rather smashing drexciya style synth workouts on there

Yes! I actually just grabbed the reissue of this movie the other day... totally bizarre in an intriguing way. The soundtrack was a big one for me as a kid, the gateway into all sorts of synth stuff.

I reckon it's all about the two love themes (In The Space Capsule, In The Death Cell) and Escape From The Swamp (spot on with the Drexciya reference btw).

petergunn

plywood violin
Cat Stevens has a number of very good complete albums. Stating he has a lone good song is almost criminal

not to me... i don't like him...

more

lowdown- boz scaggs
that chubby checker psych LP
bob seger system LP (also his early 45's on Cameo-Parkway)

i really should have more of these, a good deal of my record collection is stuff like this... psych records by non-psych people and disco records by non-disco people... i'm not by my records and my brain's a little shot at the moment...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
not to me... i don't like him...

Seriously- listen to 'Teaser for the Firecat', 'Tea for the Tillerman' or 'Mona Bone Jakon' with fresh ears- fabulous (though often cheesy) albums.

He got massive love from a lot of JA reggae vocalists (prob. second to non after Curtis Mayfield), if that helps. ;)

Last edited:

bb_rebozo

.._......
totally agree . must have heard “ Massachusetts “ more than hundred times , unintentionally on the radio , at parties , etc . anytime this song appears i'd stop conversation or whatever i’m involved in , pay full attention to the magically 30 seconds right before the refrain trashes in . the slightly Brian Wilsonish chord changes and melody of “ How deep is your love ” shines bright , and so on , the list of brilliant Gibb songs is endless .

@ topic

Wishbone Ash – 714 (yacht ambient)

bb_rebozo

.._......
Seriously- listen to 'Teaser for the Firecat', Tea for the Tillerman' or 'Mona Bone Jakon' with fresh ears- fabulous (though often cheesy) albums.

He got massive love from a lot of JA reggae vocalists (prob. second to non after Curtis Mayfield), if that helps. ;)
might come to mind , that people shitcan Yusuf because of his second name .

the three mentioned albums are shiny tea party folk classics .