nostalgia in uk street music

matt b

Indexing all opinion
picture.php

(after John Eden)

It's an approach that hasn't done dancehall any harm.

True indeed, not to mention foundation hip hop. Junglists often used samples incisively too.
It's an uncomplicated thing really, for me. If the timing and the tune are right then it works. Oneman stands up as a good current example, Dusk & Blackdown warm up their radio shows nicely and Skepta drawing for Esmiko added something to his Rinse CD imo.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
old tunes but in new contexts generating different reactions from people who haven't heard it all before. its a good thing, and i dont think nostalgia has much to do with it, especially when you're talking about tunes from 1998 being played to young dubstep crowds

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Never liked 21 seconds and still don't really. 'Haters' tho.

My number one at-the-time UKG purchase is 'OI!'

tom lea

having said that, it was a bit weird seeing brackles drop So Solid at the only night slugs rave i went and seeing everyone go nuts for it. i just thought, don't lie - you all hated So Solid when they were on top of the pops.

might be being too cynical tho?

i dunno, i thought everyone loved so solid back in the day. them, oxide and neutrino, heartless pretty much defined my mid-teens, that's what everyone at my school listened to (that and southern hiphop). surely applies to a lot of ppl.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Coming from the angle of someone who is a bit...ahem...older than some, I think that mr UFO's last mix (the Hessle/Fabric one) provides one solution to this (most reggae dances being the other...), given that it has SO many signifiers of UK dance musics both past and present, presented in an interesting way, at pace.

This approach seems to me to be a way around this, using a sort of JA approach to sound/signifyers etc- not being afraid of the past whilst avoiding dropping into retro fetishism.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
thanks matt, glad you liked it. interesting take on it seeing as there aren't really many overt JA references, i hadn't thought of it like that

hucks

Your Message Here
See also http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=9655

Just kiddin;)

One of the interesting things about the junglist auteurs thread here is how many of the contributors got into the music recently (entirely for reasons of age - they are not old fuckers like me). Jungle, and by extension, a lot of UK street music, is now old enough for an entirely new generation to get nostalgic about it.

I'm by no means an original junglist - I only got into it towards the end of 94, and I was totally the right age to be into it earlier. But it's interesting how some artists are more important now than they were then, and vice versa. This must happen to all genres/ forms, but it's interesting seeing happen to something I loved growing up.

shaolinsoul

Coming from the angle of someone who is a bit...ahem...older than some, I think that mr UFO's last mix (the Hessle/Fabric one) provides one solution to this (most reggae dances being the other...), given that it has SO many signifiers of UK dance musics both past and present, presented in an interesting way, at pace.

This approach seems to me to be a way around this, using a sort of JA approach to sound/signifyers etc- not being afraid of the past whilst avoiding dropping into retro fetishism.

that was a great mix by the way, just wondering which version of "bongcat" was dropped? doubt it was an x-cloose dub as I only have the original.

shaolinsoul

Maybe, but regardless - how much weight does that hold if half of the crowd were 12 at the time? There's definitely an increase in requests for "old UK Garage like So Solid" in certain circles, for whatever reason.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that today's 18 year olds will have never heard a lot of these tracks played out loud in a club.

That is so exciting to me. Relevancy is always the common thread between the styles of now and the past. Its always about elevating the dance in my opinon, tho it can be overdone. Dj's like Surgeon get it smack right, dropping old obscure detroit classics like "Polartronics - the deep" , "KB project - symphony" or even "Anthony shakir-happy to be here" at the right time for maximum response. Nobody wants to hear "The bells" for the billionth time Anyways.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Is Hint's point not that a theoretical 18 year old raver hasn't heard The Bells a 'billion times' and may possibly have never heard it at all, or at least never in a club. So a sizable number of people are not evaluating it as a totally overplayed classic, but on the same level as all the 'new' tunes in a set.

Edit: Slightly off the UK Street music here...

BareBones

wheezy
i missed him as i think i was watching egyptian lover at the time, but if anyone saw martyn's set at bloc back in march, can they confirm what a mate of mine said - that he dropped simply red in the middle of his set?? this would truly be pushing the envelope of nostalgia/relevancy/taste.

wascal

Wild Horses
i missed him as i think i was watching egyptian lover at the time, but if anyone saw martyn's set at bloc back in march, can they confirm what a mate of mine said - that he dropped simply red in the middle of his set?? this would truly be pushing the envelope of nostalgia/relevancy/taste.

It turns out the bar staff managed to drop Simply Red by accident right over his set :rolleyes:

More info: http://3024world.blogspot.com/2009/03/numbers-bloc-weekend.html