John Eden and Paul Meme present Lyric Maker (from England and Jamaica): an eighties d

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
john eden said:
I think has the edge on Tippa, no matter what Paul says. :)
Nothing can beat the sheer propulsive energy of Lyric Maker...

... and even if it's not the best record, it's the signature record of the mix, the one that brings all the themes together.

bassnation

the abyss
john eden said:
I'm with droid on this one - papa levi is the best and I think has the edge on Tippa, no matter what Paul says. :)

this reminds me of that seminal 92 channel 4 the word episode where they had a fast chat competition between tippa irie, papa levi and daddy freddy! daddy freddys delivery is probably the funniest chatting i've ever heard. how quickly can a man speak? he must hold the world record or something.

john eden

male pale and stale
bassnation said:
this reminds me of that seminal 92 channel 4 the word episode where they had a fast chat competition between tippa irie, papa levi and daddy freddy! daddy freddys delivery is probably the funniest chatting i've ever heard. how quickly can a man speak? he must hold the world record or something.

Dude, he is TOTALLY in the Guinness Book of records for it! :D

What's that mad tune called? (googles feverishly) oh yeah "Baba Loo Baba La Baba Loo Baba Laba (Them No Bad Like Me)". wicked - even has an acapella with mad beatboxing on it...

bassnation

the abyss
john eden said:
Dude, he is TOTALLY in the Guinness Book of records for it! :D

What's that mad tune called? (googles feverishly) oh yeah "Baba Loo Baba La Baba Loo Baba Laba (Them No Bad Like Me)". wicked - even has an acapella with mad beatboxing on it...

lol!

i have to admit, i was disapointed in his collaborations with the bug because hes not chatting at 200mph. this is what we need with dancehall - increased velocity. all of the chatting / rapping these days whether its dancehall or grime seems to be at a slow pace. more speed, more power!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i've got a live dancehall dvd recorded around 1986.
daddy freddy is in it- drops some fast chat, crowd go mad, haul up!

wicked.

john eden

male pale and stale
matt b said:
i've got a live dancehall dvd recorded around 1986.
daddy freddy is in it- drops some fast chat, crowd go mad, haul up!

wicked.

sounds great - what's the soundsystem he was on, or was it a stageshow thing?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
john eden said:
sounds great - what's the soundsystem he was on, or was it a stageshow thing?

http://www.lavathrow.com/
scroll down to the 'blackstar meets youthman productions' one- live inna dance.
i've only watched a couple- daddy freddy, tenor saw, an 11 year old yami bolo and wicked fashions are the highlights so far.

oh yeah, he's on the youthman sound

john eden

male pale and stale
jk_gabba said:
respect is due.. great mix..

"transvestites say respect is due to DANNY LA RUE!!!" :D

Thanks!

The lavathrow dvds seem pretty cool, matt but my DVD player is obstinate about DVDRs and other low budget stuff. I have a Wordsound film I can't watch, for example... :(

matt b

Indexing all opinion
john eden said:
The lavathrow dvds seem pretty cool, matt but my DVD player is obstinate about DVDRs and other low budget stuff. I have a Wordsound film I can't watch, for example... :(

i was concerned after the hullabaloo over at B&F, but the ones i've watched work fine (although getting 10 at once is a little overwhelming). play ok when ripped too.

jenks

thread death
just want to say thanks - this has been the soundtrack of my whole weekend ( i also like the way that when i put it into itunes it automatically put in the title etc!)
cheers particularly that stuff about gregory isaacs!

mms

sometimes
that last track is the absolute bollocks, reminded me of autobahn or similar, certainly kraftwerk.
zoned out very much on the tube to this, thanks!

xero

was minusone
this mix is ace, been listening to it repeatedly - it's bypassed my usually miniscule attention-span and become the soundtrack to the last week or so bringing back some choice memories (like when I first moved to london & drum pan sound was booming out all over dalston) and many fresh discoveries - cheers :D

gabriel

The Heatwave
bassnation said:
i was disapointed in his collaborations with the bug because hes not chatting at 200mph. this is what we need with dancehall - increased velocity. all of the chatting / rapping these days whether its dancehall or grime seems to be at a slow pace. more speed, more power!

agreed. some fast stuff still slips through though: check recent 7s from reagan ('i got it' on indian summer riddim) and assassin ('as a man' on sleepy dog riddim). loving it.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
mms said:
that last track is the absolute bollocks, reminded me of autobahn or similar, certainly kraftwerk.
zoned out very much on the tube to this, thanks!
"Foot on the floor KICK down the accelerator...."

Did anyone buy a second hand car from the Fashion massive's various lock-ups on Stamford Hill back in the eighties? I'm sure many people did!

D

droid

Really glad you liked 'em Droid!

Your posts on this thread are really educational and helpful, much appreciated by me and John, will work your info into the tracklisting...

:eek: Cheers Paul. Always happy to contribute

Yeah, papa levi in full effect, just builds and builds... particularly tasty timestretched siren in there too.

Ah.. I thought it was the kettle boiling! ;)

When's your mix gonna go up, I wanna hear these!

Oh so thats how it is eh? Raise the bar and then try and get people to jump! :)

Seriously though, I doubt ill be able to do anything new in the near future, as ive a backlog of mixes to get through - but Ive got some server space free, and I do have a few mixes stashed away somewhere, so Ill root through the mountain of scratched CD's and see if I can find a few things to pop up...

Ill stick a link up here when I get it sorted.

'Babalo babalay babalo babalo babalapa- memunuminumeh' - A gibberish classic!

First time I heard it was when Marvellous Cain sampled it for 'Dubplate style' on Sub-base, and even though the original is brilliant, I think the re-voiced jungle version on the excellent Marvellous Cain LP: Gun Talk is the best version. Ive certainly played it out on more than one occassion...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
droid said:
Oh so thats how it is eh? Raise the bar and then try and get people to jump! :)

Too right! I want a stack of really good reggae mixes, born out of a vibrant international scene of reggae lovers, which creates a platform for new scenes to develop...

I do have a few mixes stashed away somewhere
Rubs hands with glee...

droid said:
First time I heard it was when Marvellous Cain sampled it for 'Dubplate style' on Sub-base, and even though the original is brilliant, I think the re-voiced jungle version on the excellent Marvellous Cain LP: Gun Talk is the best version. Ive certainly played it out on more than one occassion...
See, this is the ardkore continuum, or as I prefer to call it current, in full effect...