Alt-country

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
His connection with grunge I guess comes from all the guitar-y stuff like Weld, and from Pearl Jam being fans? Either way, his country stuff is superior for me.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
now that this thread is about neil young
has anyone heard Trans?
b0000deslx01lzzzzzzz.jpg

surprisingly good and weird
decidedly not alt-country, or country tinged at all

carlos

manos de piedra
much as i love Gram, when it comes to ex-Byrds i find myself listening to Gene Clark more often- his solo records and the Dillard & Clark material

"with tomorrow" from the "white light" LP is a great song:

Benny Bunter

'Gilded palace of sin' is the Gram record for me, but I love his solo albums too. 'Hearts on fire' with Emmylou is a fantastic duet performance. Much better than anything by the Byrds if you ask me...

Also partial to a bit of loretta lynn ('rated x' especially) and how about 'Jolene'?

But when it comes to country I think I like Hank Williams best of all, maybe even more than Johnny Cash. The most amazing yodel in his voice. The musicianship and singing on a lot of the classic country records is fantastic.

Peter Gunn: A mix of kick-ass country would be most welcome

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
bob wills and the texas playboys is good stuff if we are reaching back a bit

back to alt-country, i remember liking red red meat in this vein but i can't name a song or album; i just remember a certain bedraggled mood

and like, early silver jews

also francoiz breut's second record was really moody fantastic americana; of course it takes a french woman to get it right. it has been years since i listened to this but i can replay it in my head perfectly.

Client Eastwood

Some of my mates (who are mostly into into reggae, soul, uk stuff) slate me for this but i do like a bit of Bonnie Prince Billy. I heard a couple of tracks from ease down the road and went on to buy 3 or 4 of his other releases which all have the same vibe, late at night on my own type of listening.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
francoiz breut[/URL]'s second record was really moody fantastic americana; of course it takes a french woman to get it right. it has been years since i listened to this but i can replay it in my head perfectly.

Yes! I love her.

I presume you've seen this, If not, it should make your day...music from heaven.

I can't believe I knew about this concert at the time and didn't go.

Last edited: