The cutting edge of retro

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Todd's Adventures in Slime World on the Atari Lynx.

man! game.

kudos Matt :)

Oh, that reminds me of another good one: TV 'game' shows that invariably involved people being immersed in some kind of 'gunge'.

Which brings us neatly onto Fun House, and Pat Sharp. And more importantly, Par Sharp's mullet:

SNF2142DN_380_657645a.jpg

Also, Magic Eye pictures, it we haven't had them already.

massrock

Some small matters of pedantry.

Gunge is not 90s! Tiswas ended in 1982!

Neither are football stickers, Panini was big in the 60s and 70s.

Also Nintendo are at peak of their empire right now.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
No gunge involved but retro game shows were on a level. I wanted this game show to be my house:

Crystal_maze.jpg

Map_zone_1_379x229.jpg

massrock

Hsa anyone actually seen much evidence of these things as retro trends? Apart from this very thread that is. I suppose that counts.

I think some people reckon 'grunge' could be stirring from the couch.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Hsa anyone actually seen much evidence of these things as retro trends? Apart from this very thread that is. I suppose that counts.

I think some people reckon 'grunge' could be stirring from the couch.

O yes, I was in Brooklyn last week and it was a dayglo Vanilla Ice fest out there.

Also, a lot of grungey plaid shirts, on people and in stores. I don't have one but I do have plaid jackets.

Edit: Actually, the winning outfit I saw was on an Asian dude (or maybe he was Mexican and Asian sometimes it's hard to tell). He had really, really long hair in a ponytail that was held together with successive rubber bands all the way down at 2 inch increments, so it looked sort of like a rat tail. A baseball cap that was made of some crepe-y bright green (maybe red?) material was on his head but sort of just teetering on top of it. He had a really long tank top that came down quite far on the neck and sides, and then really ugly orange denim shorts that came down to mid-calf length. And of course really big sneakers of some kind. And really, really ugly, oldman cokebottle child molester glasses. I really couldn't tell you if it was on purpose cool or not.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I suppose maybe it was fallout from acid house/rave, but even in very mainstream consumer culture there seems to have been a sort of resurgence (in the early-mid '90s, I mean) of what might very loosely be termed 'psychedelia', but with the dark undercurrents of 'freakout' that were the hallmark of '60s psychedelia somehow excised.

So there were day-glo Bermuda shorts in the late '80s, giving way to Global Hypercolor in the early '90s, coupled with Magic Eye images, early 3D computer graphics and an obsession with fractals as a decorative form (inspired by Gleick's Chaos and the subsequent public interest in 'chaos mathematics' - cf. Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park). A "'nuum', if you will.

fractal-art-alfred-laing-spiral-fantasy.jpg

Funny to see how elements of this are being revived, in the form of 'nu-rave', by people who are in the main too young to remember these times, if they were even born at all.

Also, there is a huge overlap between things mentioned in this thread and in the 'opposite of goth' thread. Perhaps the early '90s was the last good time to be a real goth, before such heresies as 'cybergoth', nu-metal and emo travestied the scene...

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Gunge is not 90s! Tiswas ended in 1982!

I want to see a photo of Pat Sharp or Noel Edmunds wearing a t-shirt that say GUNGE IS DEAD.

Anyway, gunge was totally early-mid '90s. Fun House, Noel's House Party and Get Your Own Back were all '90s shows.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Also Nintendo are at peak of their empire right now.

Jesus, I had a feeling you would be right, but I didn't realize the magnitude of it! The current Top 5 Best Selling Console Games of all time (according to Wikipedia) are all either Wii or DS games with NINTENDOGS being #2.

Nintendogs is the #2 best selling video game of ALL TIME.

massrock

Anyway, gunge was totally early-mid '90s. Fun House, Noel's House Party and Get Your Own Back were all '90s shows.
I put it to you that this was already ironic 80s retro. Particularly ironic in the case of Edmonds as in the actual 70s and 80s he was in direct ideological opposition to the Tarrant / Philbin 'gungist' camp. It was Spit the dog versus Posh Paws.

Retro retro doesn't count, it phase cancels itself.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I put it to you that this was already ironic 80s retro. Particularly ironic in the case of Edmonds as in the actual 70s and 80s he was in direct ideological opposition to the Tarrant / Philbin 'gungist' camp. It was Spit the dog versus Posh Paws.

Retro retro doesn't count, it phase cancels itself.

I thought irony was only invented in about 1997?

Anyway, the early '90s was a very earnest time, practically irony-free I'd have said.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
800px-Zig_%26_Zag_RT%C3%89_One_27_October_2008.jpg

Mr_Blobby.jpg

and all manner of synthetic twats.

Also, Round the Twist, which I've definitely heard kids talking about recently (and can anyone confirm/deny the existence of an episode where one kid gets a "whirling derfish" stuck in his penis while swimming?)

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Oh, apparently: "Bronson swallows a rare whirling derfish, causing his willy to spin like a propellor turning him into a human outboard motor known as "The Port Niranda Porpoise"."

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
The most memorable Round The Twist episodes were the one that had something to do with a fox and oranges, and another that involved some sort of replicating fungus. Much childhood lulz were had at the boy who hopped on his bike only for it to turn to mush like rotten pumpkin.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The most memorable Round The Twist episodes were the one that had something to do with a fox and oranges, and another that involved some sort of replicating fungus. Much childhood lulz were had at the boy who hopped on his bike only for it to turn to mush like rotten pumpkin.

Shit, I meant to mention this show, it was amazing. Especially the mimicking mushroom episode. Also the visible green stink lines emanating from Bronson's trainers.

Edit: also forgot to mention Mr. Blobby. He links in to both novelty hit singles and Noel Edmunds.

He probably links into Noel Edmunds physically, as well.

Last edited: