Drumming with electronics

DannyL

Wild Horses
Most of the Boredoms stuff isn't available on vinyl (sadly for CD playa-less Rich). Did you ever hear Seadrum Rich? Its fucking awesome. The closest thing they've done to their live live set.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nope. I did used to have some Boredoms stuff way back when I had a cd player. Now I think the only one I've got is the Super Roots 7 twelve (the one that's based on Where Were You by the Mekons) - which is an absolute monster.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm wondering about other industrial type stuff for some reason. There must be some drum mania in this genre surely? I used to have a CD by a TOPY spin off band called Crash Worship which was pretty great, but not the exact groove you are after I suspect.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know that one too - seemed a biti jazzy in the wrong kind of way for my liking. Might give it another go, my friend has it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Rich - have you seen this? 'Tis a moog blog."
No, but I have now thanks.

"How about the Brian Jones Jajouka LP? Obviously no synths, but loads of extreme flanging/phasing on wild ritual percussion."
This is something I've been meaning to check out for a while actually. Cheers for reminding me.

This is a good (modern) example of the sound I mean. There are better tracks on the ep but they all have this great mixture of rough psychey electronics over live and raw drums. Such a compelling combination for me.

Seems like it ought to be easy to do well but although everyone likes the good ones there are surprisingly few examples. I think that the best ones (particularly that Michael Bundt thing) still sound like they came from outer-space even though they're old hat now.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Saw a copy (actually two copies, I think) of the Brian Jones LP in Out on the Floor in Camden last week. Pricey though - one was £60. I *may* still have a tape of this album someone - I did have it and used to play it a lot. in fact they are playing as part of the Meltdown Festival on the 22nd, I believe - Dissensus outing?

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Do you know Chrome, Rich? I brought "Half Machine Lip Moves" last night, I think you'd like if you don't know it. Has synths, distortion and frantic drumming.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've got that Blood On The Moon album (that's the band right?) - reminds me a lot of DAF. Pretty full on I seem to remember.