chill out

massrock

Speaking of Rising High, Bedouin Ascent should get a mention. It's quite straight ahead compared to his later stuff but I really like the Reconnect The Thread 12".

henry s

Street Fighting Man
well, if we're still talking about Rising High, let's also talk about Dreamfish, the Pete Namlook/Mixmaster Morris collaboration...

one of the great original chillout records was Terry Riley's A Rainbow In Curved Air...also, Steve Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick and Virgina Astley's From Gardens Where We Feel Secure...

The Necks also deserve to be mentioned in chillout discussions...Aether, Drive-By, Hanging Gardens, I could listen to these all day...

craner

Beast of Burden
I hate all this stuff, but KLF's Chill Out is certainly beautiful - but inexpicably. It ought to be awful, and, by now, unlistenable, and yet it remains heartstopping. I mean, 'Albatross' and 'In the Ghetto' and those swirling pop-corn synths and everything else loosely stitched together...it's almost accidentally lovely, and it really shouldn't be. I suppose, though, with your heart doing loops, it is a little bit more than 'chill out'.

craner

Beast of Burden
I suppose you could make a case for the spooky stature of The Orb's 'A Huge Evergrowing Pulsating Brain That Rules From the Centre of the Ultraworld' (in which Minnie Riperton is crushed to death by some solemn slabs of rough synth...) The stark poignancy, the dusk-beauty, of this pissed away by that fucking title. I hated The Orb for this. I really, really hated them for it.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I suppose you could make a case for spooky stature of The Orb's 'A Huge Evergrowing Pulsating Brain That Rules From the Centre of the Ultraworld' (in which Minnie Riperton is crushed to death by solemn slabs of rough synth...)

Yes, the intro to that always had a very unsettling quality to me, the way the Ripperton melody is totally torn away from its original context and just left hanging. Especially when you get to those descending wordless screams....
Mind you, I think the version I know best of the tune is an Orbital remix, maybe it comes over differently on others.

craner

Beast of Burden
There is a very small pool of ambient techno that is at all acceptable, and Aphex Twin made most of it.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
went through a big Boards of Canada phase some years ago, but then junked them TBH.

i have never knowingly heard Pete Namlook.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
There is a very small pool of ambient techno that is at all acceptable, and Aphex Twin made most of it.

nah bollocks.

it depends if you mean ambient techno or Ambient Techno. cos for the latter that statement isn't (too) far off.

but there is plenty of fantastic techno which is also ambient, or vice versa;

various Basic Channel (& Chain Reaction), Gas, Detroit Escalator Co....

empty mirror

remember the jackalope

been listening to a lot of the selected ambient works (85 - ??) lately
really like the cat-scratched analog bedroom music sound he was crafting early on

analog ambient is where it's at

went through a big Boards of Canada phase some years ago, but then junked them TBH.
i can listen to any of the skam stuff any time of day and i never tire of it
still love music has a right to children and to a lesser extent that "a beautiful place" and "Trans Canada Hwy"
i'm not mad at campfire headphase, but it is hard to feel any way about it

mostly though when i am in a BoC mood i will likely put on christ.

i like that ambiant otaku album rec'd earlier in the thread

michael

Bring out the vacuum
It's quite weird reading this thread and being quite into a lot of the stuff being recommended here at the time it came out... cos, yeah, mostly it all seems quite awful now.

The only thing mentioned here beyond the initial post that I still like is 'Skylab #1'. Like 'Chill Out', it seems almost accidentally great. Certainly Skylab's subsequent releases (likewise any of its members - fucking Howie B!? Tosh & Kudo, much as I like some Major Force...) suggest it was some weird combo of circumstances that made it happen.

massrock

One more for the OP.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>