Iranian democracy

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Moussavi looks like he means it. Also, like Rowan Williams. So the Mullahs might have to arrest and/or kill him. Probably the smartest thing to do would be to put him under house arrest, as you wouldn't want to go creating a martyr.

Then again, can the Iranian government really contain this?

Maybe there will be a brutal crackdown, the Americans will wander in from Iraq, and there will be World War Four.

It seems like there was perhaps a miscalculation here somewhere... Did nobody think about what electoral fraud on this scale was likely to trigger?

Finally, let's all remember: In Iran, they may rig their elections. But at least they have elections. In the UK, on the other hand...

Last edited:

crackerjack

Maybe there will be a brutal crackdown, the Americans will wander in from Iraq, and there will be World War Four.

Ha ha :eek::eek:

Could be there's a "get 'em now while they've got no nukes" school gearing up a campaign :eek:

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
How can this end? There has to be a question now as to whether direct force would work - but the government cannot capitulate without risking more. Maybe they will scapegoat Ahmadi himself.

crackerjack

How can this end? There has to be a question now as to whether direct force would work - but the government cannot capitulate without risking more. Maybe they will scapegoat Ahmadi himself.

It's all still in the balance - at the moment, they'll be thinking if they can sweat out the next few days, then things will die down.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
So the strategy has to be: intimidate Moussavi, rough a few people up, and hope for dispersal...

An outstanding question concerns the role the new media is playing in this. Could this be the first Twitter revolution?

vimothy

yurp
Already on it, my man!

http://twitter.com/#search?q=#mousavi

Is also good.

Apparently the Basij killed a protester in Tehran last night.

tehran.jpg

four_five_one

Infinition
How many of the Iranian rural/urban poor have access to Twitter? They were supposedly Ahmadinejad's power base, it seems unlikely that the internet would've influenced them to vote otherwise this time.

Obviously, I've no idea if the election was corrupt or not. But in some ways it reminds me of the coup in Thailand (where I was living at the time) and what came after - specifically, the recent bourgeois revolution - the urban elites and middle classes forced out a democratically elected government, accusing them of corruption, electoral fraud and so on. These things were true to some extent, but the majority of the rural poor voted for them because they brought in universal health care, rural development funds, and generally were effective in reducing poverty. The middle class urban 'yellow shirts' depicted the rural poor as stupid and ignorant, claiming that they "didn't understand democracy".

I actually believed them at the time. Most of my friends were yellow shirts, the press supported them, the western media were sympathetic, and the other party - the PPP (formerly TRT) - were responsible for extra-judicial killings, massive fraud etc. What democrat wouldn't support the 'yellow revolution'? However, the PPP were elected democratically... The poor knew exactly what they were getting from the PPP, they knew that the opposition party, the Democrats, were an establishment party and would only impose neo-liberal policies on the country, which would benefit no one except the already rich and well-off. As has now become clear.

Isn't it possible that Iranians voted for Ahmadinejad because of his redistributive policies and against his opponent's commitment to a neo-liberal project?

Last edited: