polyrhythms

zhao

there are no accidents
LOL @ jamaican music being dull

as outlandish as that statement sounds, and as much as i'm completely devoted to reggae, his point was that Cuban music or Haitian music for that matter, are at least equally (or maybe he thinks more) amazing. and the reasons for Jamaican music becoming more popular in Europe and America are numerous and not all have to do with artistic merit.

i know it's difficult to imagine, Gabriel, but if most immigrants to UK back in whenever did not come from Jamaica, Heatwave might be playing Voodoo music or Salsa.

get me?

gabriel

The Heatwave
yeah of course, musical dominance or popularity is clearly not directly linked to excellence or innovation or amazingness or whatever. and i know that cuban (i don't know much haitian) music is rhythmically and melodically and instrumentally very interesting ... but dull is just not a word i'd use to describe jamaican music, even in comparison with cuba.

and no it's definitely not difficult to imagine me playing rumba or salsa, i've loved them probably longer than jamaican music...

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah of course, musical dominance or popularity is clearly not directly linked to excellence or innovation or amazingness or whatever. and i know that cuban (i don't know much haitian) music is rhythmically and melodically and instrumentally very interesting ... but dull is just not a word i'd use to describe jamaican music, even in comparison with cuba.

and no it's definitely not difficult to imagine me playing rumba or salsa, i've loved them probably longer than jamaican music...

word. i hope one day soon to be able to maybe fly you over to b-town to shake some bass bins... if you're interested

gumdrops

perhps, but a haflway decent 1 or 2bar loop should not be extended to 6 minutes, then mixed with almost-identical tracks for 2hours (hello Marcus Nasty, and 98% of the rinse lineup)

funky is more syncopated than normal house but even then that syncopation is still locked into/pinned around rigid house templates which is why i find it a bit dissapointing, but then it might stop being house if that went (tho not necessarily a bad thing imo!). i think thats why i like party hard so much, cos the beat has 'funkier' programming.

D

droid

Plus Jamaican music has been incredibly innovative and influential - everything from hip-hop, jungle, the 'nuum, the studio as instrument, rapping, the version, the remix...

Theres also loads of Polyrhthym going on in reggae and dancehall - from Poco and Kumina to Banghra influences. You could call it many things, but describing it as 'dull' shows nothing more than an ignorance of the music.

zhao

there are no accidents
LETS TALK ABOUT BONGOS.

who used to hate them but now love them?

(raises hand)

i remember going to techno parties around 6 or 7 years ago and absolutely hating people who brought bongos and thought it sounded like shit and cluttered up the music. to be sure i still think what they did sounded like shit, and the music at these parties were NOT enhanced by their stupid hippie shit. but these episodes really turned me off anything to do with bongos for a long time.

was talking to a friend who felt the same way, but with her it was the dirty dreadlocked kids in the park...

psherburne

LETS TALK ABOUT BONGOS.

who used to hate them but now love them?

(raises hand)

Used to hate them, then love them, now kind of hate them again. I'm being facetious, kind of -- but the MOR, post-mnml "deep house" of the moment is absolutely awash in superfluous bongos, and it's really trying my patience.

Client Eastwood

Used to hate them, then love them, now kind of hate them again. I'm being facetious, kind of -- but the MOR, post-mnml "deep house" of the moment is absolutely awash in superfluous bongos, and it's really trying my patience.

'superfluous bongos' lol. Always remind me of nujazzoetry. Was there a latin bongo player called Mr Potato Hands or have I made that up . . . :confused:

edit after googling :

Carlos 'Potato' Valdes who worked with Mongo Santamaria is where im getting confused.

Last edited:

muser

dont know about bongos but love the darbuka this guy has got serious skills,,
I recently joined a African drumming group after playing to myself for fun for 6 odd years, would recommend it to anyone. You really can only properly hear all the interlocking rythms and how they all work together when your playing 'in' them with a group, from the outside it sounds totally different.

Last edited: