Coffee

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Flat White is on Berwick St yep, walked past it the other day.

Ethiopian coffee defintely good, although you seem to have to have at least 4 people at the restaurant in order to order it (at least here). Shout-out for Eritrean honey wine too, even if this is the wrong thread.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Point 1 - England's various sports teams illustrate this is not a given.

Point 2 - oh, fuck off :p . Yes, let's do it!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I had that Soviet-era champagne and really liked it. Cheap and cheerful. Everyone else was like 'but this isn't real champagne!' , but that automatically disqualifies them form having an opinion I respect.

slowtrain

I was I was I wish a coffee connoisseur.

I should frequent more cafes. I do live in Wellington after all.

Quite a few shit places though, and it is difficult to find that marriage of cool atmosphere and nice coffee.

If a place has piccolo lattes and viennas on their board then I usually try them out.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Speaking of atmosphere and Vienna: a melange in Hawelka is without substitute.

1898531965_b642cee886_z.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
I had that coffee that's been picked out of the shit of a civet cat the other day - I guess it's a gimmick to justify the forty pound a jar price tag but it was very nice. An extremely mellow coffee although how much of that is down to the original bean and how much to the weasel's digestive system I wouldn't like to speculate.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I had that coffee that's been picked out of the shit of a civet cat the other day - I guess it's a gimmick to justify the forty pound a jar price tag but it was very nice. An extremely mellow coffee although how much of that is down to the original bean and how much to the weasel's digestive system I wouldn't like to speculate.

Not had the poo coffee but I've had coffee that's been puked up by Vietnamese weasels. It was pretty good, tasted slightly like a mocha though without any chocolate having been added.

I want to know what was going through the mind of the first person who tried making coffee from beans found in an animal's bodily waste...

Also, does it have to be the digestive system of a particular animal? Because if not, you could just swallow the beans yourself and save a fortune. Sell it for profit, even.

slowtrain

And surely a civet cat has some sort of chemical thing going on that enhances the flavour?

I'm just guessing here. Civet used in perfume etc etc.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
For all we know, beans that've been swallowed and shat out by me might produce the best coffee ever created.

Who's willing to take part in the test?

luka

tea, you dont just mean coffee mixed with sweetened condensed milk do you? thats what they sell in vietnam and broadway market.

slowtrain

I guess the more exotic the animal the better the coffee.

e.g., a platypus would make better coffee than a dog from the local pound.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
tea, you dont just mean coffee mixed with sweetened condensed milk do you? thats what they sell in vietnam and broadway market.

Nope, it was specifically described as coffee made from beans regurgitated by Vietnamese weasels. My girlfriend at the time bought a pack of it for me. I made it in a little stovetop moka pot which might not have been the optimal way to make it, but it was pretty nice.

But coffee with condensed milk sounds like it might be worth trying, I'll give it a shot next time I'm back in London over a weekend.

luka

they dont sell condensed milk in holland? its quite good, i like it, hot or iced, either is good.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
they dont sell condensed milk in holland? its quite good, i like it, hot or iced, either is good.

I'm sure they do, it's just not the kind of thing I'd normally think of buying. Is there any clever way of combining it with coffee or do you just heat it and stick it in?