Convince me why I should like The Beatles

martin

----
"You should like thee Beatles because they had a few really good songs and since most of you are English and European they were the first group to really overtake the evilAmerican dominant capatalistic paradigm of just making better more original and influential music than the fucken Poms."

Er...or you could just bypass all the bullshit on this thread by listening to something truly fucking amazing from the 1960s, like "Are You Experienced".

martin

----
You also must like the Beadles because John Lennon would do the PLASTIC ONO BAND record, which remains one of the greatest avant-rock records of all time. Alot better than the shite they rite about in the WIRE.

Actually, I'm with you on that LP - but I see this as despite, rather than because of, Lennon's presence.

STN

sou'wester
Actually, I'm with you on that LP - but I see this as despite, rather than because of, Lennon's presence.

That's not the one with 'Kiss Kiss' on it, is it? I borrowed that off a mate and was well excited about it and then I put it on and it sounded like the fucking Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

martin

----
That's not the one with 'Kiss Kiss' on it, is it? I borrowed that off a mate and was well excited about it and then I put it on and it sounded like the fucking Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

The one with "Why", "Why Not" and "Greenfield Morning I Pushed a Pram Across the City" (or similar title) on side 1. I really love that side, Side 2's OK but couldn't compete.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Er...or you could just bypass all the bullshit on this thread by listening to something truly fucking amazing from the 1960s, like "Are You Experienced".

Well I've got that already, goes without saying. :)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Listening to Mother and God last night at about 3am for some unholy reason...fuck they are amazing.

All together now:

God is a concept/By which we measure our pain...I'll say it again...

The descending piano bit where it segues into the "I don't believe...." is one of the most spine-tingling things I've ever heard

martin

----
Listening to Mother and God last night at about 3am for some unholy reason...fuck they are amazing.

All together now:

God is a concept/By which we measure our pain...I'll say it again...

OK, I think we're talking about completely different albums here...

zhao

there are no accidents
it's interesting that this kind of quality song writing is unrepeatable. why do you think that is? should be pretty simple if you think about it. those early songs are so naive and seems effortless. maybe the creative potential of this kind of simple pop rock song writing is exhausted, and so inextricably linked to a time period and a particular feeling or "zeitgeist", that all who have tried to subsequently recapture that kind of craft (oasis), in that style, have IMO failed miserably.

Last edited:

massrock

Think it must make a difference if you grew up with them, I did, but then I also 'moved on' quite quickly when I discovered other things that seemed more exciting and immediate, you want your own music, not your parents' music.

But you can't overestimate how essential The Beatles were. They'd done their thing so definitively it makes little sense to try and emulate it. I guess that's why it's unrepeatable and Oasis are so shit. The other obvious thing is that it becomes hard to appreciate the impact of something so influential after the fact unless you can get some sense of what it was like as it happened, or something.

First song on the first album, I Saw Her Standing There captures good clean teenage lust perfectly.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
No love for Happiness is a Warm Gun or Rain??

Rain is one of the most oddly psychedelic songs ever, I think. Something about the sheer density of it or something. That high wandering bassline like droplets of water falling in puddles off various shapes. Actually, that almost justifies Paul McCartney's later abject 'McCartneyness' right there. & the sheer harsh brittleness of everything that somehow seems benign & utterly cossetting & warm even though the guitar is like a fucking buzzsaw & Lennon's voice is just a wall of supersneer. It's like a Fortean event.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
& Ticket to Ride has to be the most soporific yet euphoric groove ever. It's amazing. It's the diametric opposite of shouting-on-a-mountaintop rawk yet it's totally utterly rock as well. Hamburg raw tin-can clatteriness but smooooth as butter. Lovely mix of sneer & glide.

STN

sou'wester
I'm really not a huge Beatles fan, but my five are, in order of likedness:

I Want You
Hello Goodbye
Baby You're a Rich Man
Taxman
Michelle

CHAOTROPIC

on account
it's interesting that this kind of quality song writing is unrepeatable. why do you think that is? should be pretty simple if you think about it. those early songs are so naive and seems effortless. maybe the creative potential of this kind of simple pop rock song writing is exhausted, and so inextricably linked to a time period and a particular feeling or "zeitgeist", that all who have tried to subsequently recapture that kind of craft (oasis), in that style, have IMO failed miserably.

Hey Ya? That got the gist, or something. At least a glimmer of a ghost of it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
To be honest I hardly ever listen to the Beatles but I grew up with their music so...

'Abbey Road' is my favourite album ('Rubber Soul' no.2), I love the second half 'mix'... 'Something' is just bootiful.