It's The Ashes!

crackerjack

i can't believe we can go from almost 200-0 to perhaps get a lower total than in cardiff. need some tail-wagging... again. Bopara is too high, no doubt about it. Who's a good numbr 3? Key? Bell? I don't know shit about county cricket.

edit: ha, Warney just echoing my post - you can have that one for nish, Shane

Last edited:

Lichen

there should be a special word to describe the particular blend of anger and disappointment brought on by an england collapse

crackerjack

i think we need some awards for people steadily winding ponting throughout the series

10pts already to the physio with the moobs and now 5 for Rudi K

crackerjack

Bumble's just shown a sequence of deliveries in which the batsman is bowled playing no shot. "The moral is, aim at the stumps."

Who needs Simon Hughes?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I remember when I was playing for my school and one of their batsmen was bowled first ball without playing a shot, their pe teacher/umpire lost his cool and impartiality and shouted at him "what's the point of carrying a bloody great lump of wood out here if you're not even going to swing it?".

crackerjack

the only way this makes sense to me is if Strauss is banking on Sunday weather being similar to Friday. Otherwise, who not enforce the follow on?
The pitch is good and won't break up. England have a record of struggling to break teams down. As it is, we won't declare until at least 500 in front, which will waste time unnecessarily. Cautious decision, don't get it.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I think it's the right decision. It doesn't seem to be swinging today. We should be able to bat on and quite easily get an enormous lead on a docile pitch.

The alternative is letting Australia set us a nasty fourth innings run chase. A scary prospect.

S

simon silverdollar

so, was Mitchell Johnson ever really good, or was he just way over hyped?

everyone was talking about his in-swinger before the series started, but i haven't seen any of it.