i-D Live @ Cargo

Plasticman

Fiddy said:
Lady Sovereign (who had discharged herself especcially from hospital that morn to do an exclusive 'adidas Hoodie'

I got out of hospital with appendicitis on Wednesday, unfortunately for me I was not discharged so that I could do something as exciting as that!

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Glad I made this - I couldn't drag anyone down so I wasn't sure about heading down on my ownio, but did anyway (and in anycase ran into bat).....highlights for me were titch and j2k who really got things moving and later jammer and riko who turned the whole dancefloor into a moshpit...lowpoints - that other dj (ross allen?)...ok so I don't mind the odd jungle track but his sets were the archetypal shoreditch yawn...logan should've been the house deejay for the night. Also Roll Deep never seem organised when they take the stage

mpc

wasteman
i arrived for last 5 minutes of lady sovereign who was better than expected.

didn't really hear much good new stuff.

the small guy from essentials was really good, as was the young guy with roll deep.

i had a few words with ears who was telling me about his stryder clash on forthcoming lord of the mics.

i was gonna go over to jme and recommend jonathan mondrack in the free bossman case, but he was busy with the laydeez.

logan was very friendly.

big up etc. to adam and sophie.

S

simon silverdollar

mpc said:
i the young guy with roll deep.

was that the mighty TOMMY GUNS?
god he's so good.

"TOO MANY MCS OUT THERE THAT ARE RUNNIN AROUND CHATTIN ABOUT HOW THEY WANNA MAKE PAY-PAH
BUT THEY DON'T MAKE PAY-PAH
THEY JUST SAY IT THEIR LYRICS
THAT'S WHY I DON'T RATE YER'.

mpc

wasteman
no,tommy guns wasn't there unfortunately.

this guy was a kid with glasses. looked like the kind of kid you'd see at homework club every weekday evening.

good mcing though.

mpc

wasteman
no, manga wasn't there either unfortunately.

anyone know who the guy was? i think he was quite young, but i'm not so sure now.

S

simon silverdollar

so roll deep have TWO bookish looking young fellows in their ranks?

more MCs should wear glasses. it's a good look.

gabriel

The Heatwave
the girl that was on before roll deep (white puffa jacket, accompanied by a male mc doing backing vocal type thigns) was apparently called unorthodox i think, or perhaps that's the name for the two of them. didn't notice them in fiddy's quick rundown, were they not meant to be there maybe? anyway she was fiercely good as someone else said...

i thought roll deep were wicked but hadn't seen them before so maybe they're normally better than that? sovereign lacked stage presence and was a bit disappointing overall, blah blah not very impressive, and she didn't do the menta remix version of random which is clearly the heaviest (also why didn't riko step up to do his verse on that??)

jammer was stupidly indeed hype, pure energy. and klashnekoff was loads heavier than i thought he'd be, biting dancehall is always a good look and i liked all that stuff he said about how it's not a bling ting and not a gun ting (even if immediately afterwards he asked everyone to raise the 'klashnekoffs' aka gun fingers... lol)

also what were those visuals behind the stage about? (a) they were pretty rubbish and (b) just seemed to draw my attention away from the performers a lot of the time. silly i thought.

really really good night all round though ,niceness.

Last edited:

Fiddy

the girl was No Lay (track on Run The Road), she belongs to Unorthodox and track was called Unorthodox Daughter. She was one of the surprise PA's, nice to have few surprises.

Sov wasn't herself last night but considering she'd discharged herself from hospital that day and still come to perform demands ratings. Those were only instrumentals she had with her hence no remix version.

Personally liked the visuals and was glad we had them. Destination Out lent them to us, mash up of DVD footage and that.

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
Travelled down from Birmingham for this, a great night, really liked the format ( 2 tracks each, loads of MCs) and even if cargo is a bit pricey the soundsystem and atmosphere where great, ..

bun-u said:
other dj (ross allen?)...ok so I don't mind the odd jungle track but his sets were the archetypal shoreditch yawn...logan should've been the house deejay for the night. Also Roll Deep never seem organised when they take the stage

Agreed, the djing between the MCs seemed to be real dull id crowd pleasing stuff, madonna, soul2soul, etc, and i missed Logans set at the end. But i loved Roll Deeps disorganisation, it didn't seem to affect there performance just made it more surprising to see who'd come on next ..