Minimal synth stuff

massrock

I dunno, just some suggestions. This first group are a current concern.

Medio Mutante - Corre Corre

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gorilla Aktiv - Spiegelbild

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Duotronic Synterror - 190 Stunden

Units - Digital Simulation

Reducers - Airways

DAF - Goldenes Sielzeug

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FyuYQ7bOyGo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FyuYQ7bOyGo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Conrad Schnitzler - Auf Dem Schwarzen Kanal

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6Q31Vy0_NE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6Q31Vy0_NE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Actually mmonus on youtube seems to have tons of shit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like that Reducers tune.

Fad Gadget, anyone?

'Ricky's Hand' reminds me of 'Warm Leatherette' a bit, although with a hint of meldody to it. Only a hint, mind:

Other good stuff...

massrock

Yeah good stuff. I get the feeling Rich is after super minimal and super cold (and super obscure) but I don't feel the need to take such a hard line necessarily. As polystyle said there's good things from the poppier side too.

Also I'm sure I know loads more good things in this area but sometimes the names escape me. Thank goodness it doesn't matter. :)

mms

sometimes
this song has everything and is quite well known after soul jazz and Stuart rereleased it
it's fucking amazing

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
^^Wow, the cheery horns halfway through are certainly unexpected!

Doesn't get much colder than this:

Pretty minimal, too. Great lyrics/samples. Slick, dystopian, cynical. :D

polystyle

The Implog track is pretty out.
Holland Tunnel is in downtown NYC, goes under the Hudson River to New Jersey.
Donny has a couple more tracks floating around ...
That was a pivotal track on New York Noise 3 and Donny's a great guy.

Seconding Mathematics Modernes -one of their songs was always being played in the clubs,
ditto Grauzone,
Szajner had a few earlier releases that had some interesting things happening,
obv. Conrad S' has some great stuff, hearing that color series was sweet

How about early John Foxx ? Metamatic
Ultravox! Systems Of Romance.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Loads of stuff to assimilate there (some I know, some I don't). Thanks everyone.

"add n to x?"
I've dj-d with Barry from Add n to x a few times though neither of us were playing this kind of stuff. I got the Spider and The Flies album recently with him and some of the Horrors but I'm not feeling it that much on a first couple of listens - will give it another spin though.

tartablanca

capped
A few random picks.

Oneohtrix Point Never - Betrayed in the Octagon (Feel a bit iffy sharing new music but this is long sold out & unavailable so it should be ok.)

http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/ has tons of stuff.

http://www.mimaroglumusicsales.com/ always has interesting stuff for sale.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
More fairly obvious stuff, and I expect Rich has it already, but a good excuse to post a top tune:

Cool live version:

IMO this is the equal of pretty much anything I've heard by TG from around the same time. And for some reason I'm reminded of the thread ages ago about how Bauhaus 'invented dubstep'...

This is a UK favourite of mine:

Human League obscurity:

(Their CD "Golden Age Of The Future" is worth checking out for early demos / Roland modular synth action.)

Physics/morality one for Mr Tea:

Fetish:

Gothic:

Nothing to do with Drexciya:

More UK:

and more:

franz

vehement second for Jeff and Jane Hudson. they are great... Cat Scan, PCP, the weird Ipanema cover... at least a handful of classic tracks to their name.

the flexi-pop comps are worth toiling through, even if a fair portion of the stuff does just flat out suck. don't have them at hand, but for example, there is a wicked little bouncey french tune on number 10 by a band called Performance called Pilotes... and obviously: so many different bands featured on these comps...

haven't caught any mentions of Ende Shneafliet yet... def. also worth a look.

oh and on a Suicide tip, Martin Rev's 1980 solo album is worth checking out for Mari and Baby o Baby alone... turns up feller can be a pretty creepy vocalist himself... as great as Suicide was, i do feel like there was still more potential there... i guess i'll definitely settle for tracks like these and the untouchable Shadazz... i'm sure i can dig up more stuff, just not at home right now.

polystyle

Jeff and Jane Hudson -not so very known, even in their time !
- good to see them get mention.
Contemporaries of Implog in a few ways.

All that Human League as Tea posted "Boiled" , "Dance Vision" , etc.

Marty Rev -always ...

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, I'm having problems listening to all this 'cause my internet isn't working at home but I checked that Eurythmics track and it's ace. I will work my way through all the bits I don't know eventually so keep 'em coming.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I went round my friend's house the other day and he played me this thing I'd never heard before which has a nice John Carpenter type feel (after sounding a bit like Blue Monday at the start).

Which reminds me of

which sounds a lot like Blue Monday all the way through (and came out a couple of years before it).

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
This MP3-mix/podcast is excellent -
http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2009/12/stones-throw-podcast-53-minimal-wave

"Stones Throw is dropping the anthology The Minimal Wave Tapes in January - a collection of underground DIY electronic music from North America and Europe in the late 1970s and 80s. The founder of the Minimal Wave record label Veronica Vasicka put together this 40-minute mix which includes a couple tracks by artists who are on the anthology, several who are not, and some tracks she's just really into right now."

---
Impending release on CD
http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2009/12/the-minimal-wave-tapes

"The Minimal Wave Tapes is the first official anthology (on CD, LP and digital) of Minimal Wave music from this label. Most of the songs were originally released on limited edition cassettes or vinyl by the artists themselves, and only a handful of people knew about them. They’ve been remastered from their analog source tapes and compiled here by Minimal Wave's Veronica Vasicka and Stones Throw's Peanut Butter Wolf."