dj + "real" instruments

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Finally got round to watching the video. It's cool!

Couple of questions for Zhao or anyone else on a similar tip:
How pre-planned is your set? Specifically, do the instrumentalists know what's coming in a given tune or is it spontaneous? Also, how do you pick tunes - are you specifically on the lookout for stuff that leaves you space to work other stuff into?

zhao

there are no accidents
Couple of questions for Zhao or anyone else on a similar tip:
How pre-planned is your set? Specifically, do the instrumentalists know what's coming in a given tune or is it spontaneous? Also, how do you pick tunes - are you specifically on the lookout for stuff that leaves you space to work other stuff into?

not very planned this one. we talked about it and roughly had some ideas of a breakdown somewhere, some more or less "solos" for each, etc... mostly spontaneous.

for sure selecting tunes with space. percussion can almost go with anything not too cluttered, but general pitches and moods good for trumpet was important...

zhao

there are no accidents
hey gig that early is not such an easy mode.
Playing music that early at all is not an easy mode imo ...

ja... speaking of difficult time slots originally they put us at 6AM sunday morning. which would have been a completely different set... but could have been nice in its own way, playing to tired bodies and frayed minds to the sunrise. you or anyone ever do dawn sets?

Fyi Zhao you can guess what Haitian cybervoudou unit caught T Kondo's interest when it first appeared in '89 /'90 Tokyo FM ?

haha nice! Kondo seems to know no limits from improv to hiphop. man after me own heart. did you catch him in fusion one mashup on Late Night Request Line?

Tempos. Yeah, play with them and mix it up a bit (tho' you prolly did , just didn't hear so much in the clip ) and mixing speeds of what's on the deck and what players are doing could be interesting experiments to explore ... players prolly want a constant tempo ,understandable.

those guys are so skilled they can keep up with and turn anything i lay down into something good... the even tempo is more me thinking inside traditional dj box... good idea to step out of that sometimes... i have to get better with ableton performance.

Like what Mr. Sloane said about his group -playing on someone's elses bt's one thing, playing on top of your own bts can get into another mode.
Playing bts to your first bt, another player making a bt and you following it, etc.
In Death Comet Crew we were - and still are blessed with have our Dj High Priest,
who became our 'drummer' once we heard him cutting and scratching.
WIth two drummers in group, things open up even more ...

yeah there were only a few of my remixes in that set, and none ended up on the video. there was a Haitian monster... so Death Comet has a traditional drummer with High Priest adding beats? does he record with you or only for live gigs? i want to catch you in action sometime soon...

Also - got to hear the night live evil style ,
then we speak more !

hopefully soon! hopefully in NYC!!!

Krasner

As I think about this, I've realized that I make a distinction between a DJ set with additional live instrumentation and a live performance that includes a DJ.

I think this is a great distinction to make. DJ/Rupture and Andy Moore are a fantastic example of doing the former well. There a real dialouge between Moore's guitar playing and Rupture's track selection. This video isn't the best but shows what they do:

zhao

there are no accidents
I think this is a great distinction to make. DJ/Rupture and Andy Moore are a fantastic example of doing the former well. There a real dialouge between Moore's guitar playing and Rupture's track selection. This video isn't the best but shows what they do:

yeah i wanna check them out live soon. their CD kind of went unnoticed didn't it? i think it's really great and original. nothing else like it out there. and most importantly the post punk chugging really works with the dubstep.

surprised no one posted this yet :p

i think the possibilities are really endless depending on 2 things

-the abilities of the "real instrument" players , their willingness to not get stuck on one jam, or to do the opposite and let a groove ride depending on the feel . their ability to switch 'genres' , tempos, poly rhythm patterns without flinching. i think they'd need some jazz chops to really make it work

and- the selection and mixing abilities of the dj . some djs dont have the arsenal of music at their disposal to really be able to freak out alongside some openminded musicians, they might like to but its just not in their crates , literal or serato.. and of course if the skills arent there then its gonna be impossible to flex on a mix from genre to genre

quick anecdote. me and a fellow drummer friend have been jamming for years mostly on drumset and auxiliary drums, recently we started messing around with keys on old casio keyboards an wahtnot . but one time a friend of mine who djs, mostly jungle, but had a few other things in his crate, came over with the intent to combine our forces. this is a kid who i know we have musical tastes in common with , but for some reason he had no flow with us , kinda just dropped beats on top of what we were playing without regard to what we were playing, did a few loud scratch things but didnt really try to have any kind of musical conversation with us

i guess thats what you need. people who are able to have a musical conversation, without interrupting eachother, an open flow of ideas . you have to be able to sit back for a second and listen to the other people, listen to what theyre doing and how it relates to what you're doing and then put your 2 cents in

also, holy first post batman

zhao

there are no accidents
did anyone feel that Cooly G with bongos and kongas set? Fact or XLR8R or something. i thought it was wicked. need to ask her for part 2 as i missed the tweet.

zhao

there are no accidents
i guess thats what you need. people who are able to have a musical conversation, without interrupting eachother, an open flow of ideas . you have to be able to sit back for a second and listen to the other people, listen to what theyre doing and how it relates to what you're doing and then put your 2 cents in

all true. had 2 powerful drummers to play with in Prague... they were almost a bit too forceful, had to really carefully select for them... there was a sick Arabic segment in which they just went the fuck OFF. flying.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah that's wicked, bongo stuff is great on that

was kind of out of left field that one, no? i don't think anyone anticipated it. and from talking to her it seems she has much grander plans involving her own vocals and "real" instruments. i'm pretty excited at the prospect, to me she was always a bit more than just a dance music producer. (not that that itself is anything to scoff at!)

zhao

there are no accidents
2 years after the first video, here is the second one, evening set rather than afternoon this time, from 7 to 10pm.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ksm6sm1ghBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

when we started, Matchume just flew in from Portugal 2 hours before, and Congo from France the night before, and I had just played at Berghain the night before... so all 3 of us were running on zero to very little sleep. which might be reason that we forgot to bring a thing to record off the board, so that's why the camera stayed on the stage and didn't move around this time, because it was attached to the sound board. also, the Camera man wanted to dance for the last hour, and put the camera down... which was too bad as that was the most hype hour: 3000 jumping and screaming. oh well it is what it is i am still happy with the way this video turned out :)

Last edited: