Notting Hill 09

benjybars

village elder.
definitely not. on the sunday there was an announcement - 'we don't play dubstep, dubstep is a fraud'

were you at Channel One on sunday Ben? i was there most of the afternoon. good system. bare white rastas.

also spent a lot of time at the Flavour system further up the road.. played loads of funky.

heard a fair bit of funky coming from the floats aswell.

and i walked past ms dynamite.

and i thought i saw ghetts but actually it probably wasn't him.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
yeah i was there early-mid afternoon yesterday, missioned up to aba shanti at the end of the day. system was sounding glorious by the end of today as well. spent a bit of this afternoon at nasty love too, so so rowdy

Last edited:

dave

the day today tonight
They're doing a live to air from Notting Hill to radio in NZ, what I've heard sounds pretty rad, I'm quite jealous.

gumdrops

totally avoided carnival this year. had other things to do so just listened to pirates playing soca instead. was tempted to see what major lazer would be like but then just the thought of those two guys playing at carnival just irritated me so its prob better i didnt go. i like the dubstep-dismissing comment from the soundsystem mentioned above :D

I heard a lot of UK funky/funky house at Nasty One and Rampage, some great, some terrible. Colville Gardens were indeed very rowdy, but almost entirely in a good way. Are You Gonna Bang Doe? the anthem. Nice that they played some old Dizzee as well, almost the whole of Pow! etc, loads of Mavado obviously. Elsewhere, always a joy to dance to classic garage outside on a blue-sky summer's day.

Rampage, though, seems to have been completely killed by the police presence. A lot of excruciatingly boring wine bar funky house every time I passed, presumably so as to avoid exciting anyone.

luka

you cant not go to carnival when youre in town. ive been going since i was about 9 years old or something. its not just the music its the vision of what a city could be like. the cooking on the streets, the dancing, the chaos (not always in a good way) the police having to turn a blind eye to victimless crimes, the smells the noise....
its the only time i ever go west of marble arch.
i saw a 14 year old girl get her foot run over by a float once. it was harrowing.

dave

the day today tonight
what were they broadcasting? so much music to choose from
I've only heard a few bits.. Toddla T sounded like the hype, lots of MCing, variety galore, tunes didn't play for long, everything got pulled up... huge. I tried to tune in online when at work but their stream was overloaded, dangit.

continuum

smugpolice
Toddla T sounded like the hype

Little bit of Toddla T footage with Lady Chann:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
Colville Gardens were indeed very rowdy, but almost entirely in a good way
true this.

Hardly heard any Busy all carnival which i was quite surprised by. lots of movado, lots of Mr Vegas as well (think i heard tek weh yu self the most) and plenty of Vybz. cant really complain i spose!