currently listening to...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(i know that's a US beat but who cares)

giggs makes me laugh a lot still

Simon78

Anyone else still listening to this?

The Fix Dot'm & Youngsta cd - A Fix of Meth is quality and well worth a purchase
http://www.ukrecordshop.com/item/fix-dot-m-youngsta-a-fix-of-meth.html

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have been listening to loads of S.I stuff today. I still can't find their cd's for sale anywhere.

mos dan

fact music
this is what happens when you have giggz setting the high water-mark for making a fucking effort with your flow

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

WAKE UP AND RAP YOU STONED DICKHEAD

Simon78

Yeah, that's weak Dan.

I like this instrumental at the minute. There seem to be a few vocals about over it.

Mission Riddim:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Simon78

Just thought I would post some links to the free downloads that have been put up on Twitter/Facebook recently:

Killa Ki - The Lost Tapes
http://www.zshare.net/download/70680712ac81f989/

Youngs Teflon - Call of Duty
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ekncj8

Young Mad B - The Malbum Vol1
http://www.mediamassacre.net/?cat=5

Fem Fel - 345 vol1
http://bit.ly/6CBJdF

I think Wooly @ Heart has been given out for free on Facebook or Twitter now as well but can't find the link at the moment?

The best Road Rap CD I have bought recently is Danger Da Realist - Nutten To Prove I Am Da Realist but I have only seen it for sale at the SN1 shop in Peckham and they haven't got a website so you will have to ring them if you want it.

Other than that Fix Dot'M & Youngsta - A Fix of Meth is essential, as is all of Youngsta's stuff really. I like KK Mode by Killa Ki as well but he is a bit of a Marmite MC I suppose. Who Said Dat by Giggs & Tiny Boost is really good and I liked Soka Beats - Futuristic Wave Vol2 as well.

Oh yeah, Young Mad B was described to me as being Peckham's T-Pain when I was in SN1. I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough after hearing that to be honest.

Really surprised you didn't mention Grown Man Thing by Youngs Teflon, to be honest. Think that's my favourite tape of the last six months. Neck and neck with Fix Of Meth at least.

/

Fix Dot'm is the best out though.

Really feeling Cash as well. Too hard for a younger still.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
bought the NME yesterday and the Giggs feature pitches Giggs as 'wiping the slate clean from grime's failed promises'.

if grime's promise was to make a new MC-focused hybrid with it's own original vocabulary and production trademarks, it managed it. if it was to provide a new form of UK pop, in 2009 it did that too.

i appreciate the perception of grime's 'failure' was cemented previously to that. eitherway, how the hell does UK rappers going back to US rap beats and flow represent a forward step?

Simon78

bought the NME yesterday and the Giggs feature pitches Giggs as 'wiping the slate clean from grime's failed promises'.

if grime's promise was to make a new MC-focused hybrid with it's own original vocabulary and production trademarks, it managed it. if it was to provide a new form of UK pop, in 2009 it did that too.

i appreciate the perception of grime's 'failure' was cemented previously to that. eitherway, how the hell does UK rappers going back to US rap beats and flow represent a forward step?

Its just a journalist with a word count to hit and in need of some sort of angle isn't it?

Its only the NME anyway so who cares what they think? Its Friday, time to get wavey! :D

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Oh and they do use American beats but a lot of them are by UK producers. Similar sound I suppose.

http://www.myspace.com/djraker

mos dan

fact music

well put! what's this about the nme being dangerously full of good music? joy orb, marcus and darkstar in there too? bizarre

tom lea

darkstar were in there before, marcus wrote a really good piece for them. scott, not nasty.

the nme's just shit, i dont care what it is they're covering, it's all done in the same stupid way. fuck them and their future 50.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i dunno tom, i've not checked it in a few years and it surprised me how much the tone had changed, less bitter and them-n-us towards urban/dance. less narrowminded and more informative writing. it's still an indie mag but it has it's ears open a bit more.

You lot need to go and buy/download The Black Page. Can't beat a good CD full of minor chords and heavy bass.

In that respect, and to echo mistersloane upthread (i think it was you anyway, can't be bothered checking) that's something this music provides that's missing in grime- the dark as fuck sorrowful beats. As much as I'll always champion grime, there's a mournfulness missing in the sound these days.

"Road Rap" (still hate that term) really does deliver in that respect, it's a dark sad sound.

But yeah, get the Black Page. God this is hard.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
eitherway, how the hell does UK rappers going back to US rap beats and flow represent a forward step?
But if you look how US garage/house evolved into something different there in London, it's very possible that road rap will do the same!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Really feeling Cash as well. Too hard for a younger still.

What a woozy beat - gonna look into this mixtape...:)

"...swagger like spacemen..." - nice

As to the mournfulness, this stuff reminds me of french hip hop in that way. Which is a good thing. Epic.

What's The Black Page (apologies if it's explained upthread) - is that the act or the mixtape?

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
darkstar were in there before, marcus wrote a really good piece for them. scott, not nasty.

you're imagining things, i didn't.

i did do a piece about 'uk bass music' about a year ago which mentioned them though alongside loads of other stuff ; might have been the first and last time anyone said uk funky or wonky in the nme lol. They asked me to do something regularly but not really into that sort of cheerleading stuff.

the thing that does my head in with nme is that they've bought the rights to false oppositions and straw men big time. It's always a dead giveaway when you compare x to y =(false opposition) that x is a fukin bore, standard.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
road rap seems to to be a reaction to grime in my eyes. its as if the artists involved wish grime never happened or didn't understand how it continued as the only voice against the fascism that has been bubbling under the surface over the last decade and thankfully never fully sprouted. now the threat has dissipated they feel they are free to continue with their pure uk version of american hip hop.