oasis split thank fuck for that

straight

wings cru
i dont think its anything to shout about discovering krautrock at 40 when youve spent the decade and a half touring stadiums. Were we supposed to be impressed that he now has a first year english students taste in music?

If Liam can find a willing collaborator I imagine he'll do okay. How hard would it be to get Robert Pollard from Guided by Voices to write songs for him? I imagine Alan McGee must be astute enough to know such a collaboration could win financial rewards and critical respect for all involved.

The youtube vid of Noel's 10 loves and hates posted earlier is class, not the first time I've found myself laughing with him when he's in motormouth mode. But no matter how his musical tastes have developed over the last few decades, you can't escape the fact that he has a poor singing voice, little on-stage charisma and it's been a very long time since a decent song which he wrote has been released.

hint

party record with a siren
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There you go. Liam's mindblowing future plans - sunglasses for his "up-front, straight talking" clothing range.

gumdrops

i liked that quietus article but dont see noel doing anything that radical. that extende 'dance' remix he cites at the end is just yet ANOTHER tomorrow never knows revisit.

still, noel g did work with goldie. maybe he is more adventurous than hes given credit for, though i dont see why anyone has to give him plaudits for thinking about using an old NWA drum loop. that wouldnt exactly have been that special or novel in 1999.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
still, noel g did work with goldie. maybe he is more adventurous than hes given credit for, though i dont see why anyone has to give him plaudits for thinking about using an old NWA drum loop. that wouldnt exactly have been that special or novel in 1999.

Yeah, uh, Stone Roses using that bog standard break on the track 'Fools Gold' in 89, My Bloody Valentine programming something vaguely hip-hop on 'Soon' in 90... Indie bods claiming any kind of influence from hip-hop nowadays and making out like they're being inventive just seems like they're taking the piss.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
http://thequietus.com/articles/02621-oasis-split-what-next-for-noel-gallager

Good points brought up for Noel, who's admittedly the only guy with any sort of hope...

I mean, that random Neu! Cover coming out of nowhere certainly wasn't coming from LIAM now was it?

Their version of that Italo house Cartouche 'Feel the Groove' is good, and makes me sad that they didn't pursue that further, it feels like they cordoned off that area and now it's too late to ever walk down it. Shame, that would have been really, really interesting.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I thought that comment about Oasis covering Neu! was a pisstake. Reality, eh *shakes head in disbelief*?

Obviously a result of talking to someone in Primal Scream, no?

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, uh, Stone Roses using that bog standard break on the track 'Fools Gold' in 89, My Bloody Valentine programming something vaguely hip-hop on 'Soon' in 90... Indie bods claiming any kind of influence from hip-hop nowadays and making out like they're being inventive just seems like they're taking the piss.
They're being more inventive, at least, though.

It vaguely annoys me about dissensus that people whinge about indie bands being 'white bread' and only influenced by other indie bands and so on, but as soon as any of them do acknowledge the existence or influence of other music they get this sort of cheap condescension and mealy mouthed criticism because they aren't "doing it right" or being "adequately radical" according to some arbitrary dissensian criteria, which would probably still be the case if they'd burnt their guitars, sold off their Beatles collections and started doing hyphy-meets-Stockhausen remixes of funky house tunes...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
They're being more inventive, at least, though.

It vaguely annoys me about dissensus that people whinge about indie bands being 'white bread' and only influenced by other indie bands and so on, but as soon as any of them do acknowledge the existence or influence of other music they get this sort of cheap condescension and mealy mouthed criticism because they aren't "doing it right" or being "adequately radical" according to some arbitrary dissensian criteria, which would probably still be the case if they'd burnt their guitars, sold off their Beatles collections and started doing hyphy-meets-Stockhausen remixes of funky house tunes...

I really like Ian Brown and his music, and he's always been the one for me who's managed to make his work incorporate his influences without seeming like he's just doing it for the sake of it; I know he thinks Sizzla is close to god-like and from his new album it sounds like he's been listening to Giggs. The single is fanatastic as well, probably my favourite pop song of the year so far.

mms

sometimes
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There you go. Liam's mindblowing future plans - sunglasses for his "up-front, straight talking" clothing range.

big in newquay, what a gifford.

mms

sometimes
I thought that comment about Oasis covering Neu! was a pisstake. Reality, eh *shakes head in disbelief*?

Obviously a result of talking to someone in Primal Scream, no?

krautrock is the 'stretching out creatively' signifier du jour.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I really like Ian Brown and his music, and he's always been the one for me who's managed to make his work incorporate his influences without seeming like he's just doing it for the sake of it; I know he thinks Sizzla is close to god-like and from his new album it sounds like he's been listening to Giggs. The single is fanatastic as well, probably my favourite pop song of the year so far.

And he's rubbish at singing and yet has made a career out of it. Gotta respect that, as his voice as it appears on record is iconic, in my view. Still love 'Be There', which performed the magick trick of making UNKLE seem good.

I don't see anything wrong with writing good guitar songs either, or with incorporating influences from other styles on the part of indie guitar bands. For all their detractors, I think Primal Scream have intermittently done so brilliantly, to take one example.

As for incorporating hip-hop, I'm sure some bands do so out of genuine love for the genre, just as Ice T always went on about Blue Oyster Cult etc.

Edit: I always loved the fact that Chad from the Neptunes cited Stereolab as an influence (hardly an ubercool name to drop whichever background you come from).

Last edited:

crackerjack

Edit: I always loved the fact that Chad from the Neptunes cited Stereolab as an influence (hardly an ubercool name to drop whichever background you come from).

Oh, the Neps like waaay less cool stuff than Stereolab. Those American hip hop producers really don't give a shit about that kind of thing.

gumdrops

ian brown has always been on it far as i can tell - i remember an interview around 2005 where he was talking about being into roll deep and kano. not sure what his music is like these days though.

as for noel, i reckon do you know what i mean would have been shit with that drum loop. its better without. i mean, i already know what unkle sound like lol. dont really like his singing voice too much though - much prefer liams.

i dont see why taking the piss out of indie guys for having less than cutting edge (though id take boring/canonical over poor - nothing worse than artists from any genre desperate to be cutting edge by any means poss) taste in hip hop/R&B isnt the same as taking the piss out of timbaland and busta for liking coldplay.

Last edited: