DAW questions thread

hint

party record with a siren
Attacker's not really all that useful and the authorisation hoops you have to jump through make it less appealing.

Flux Bittersweet is also free. More subtle than Attacker:
https://www.fluxhome.com/download

Logic's bundled Enveloper plugin is useful.

Stillwell's Transient Monster is only $50:
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=18

===

Some other freebies of note:

Brainworx have a hi / lo pass filter (Clean Sweep):
http://www.brainworx-music.de/index.php?nav=36&um=0&lang=en

Sonalksis have a gain control with metering and phase reverse (FreeG):
http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=99

Massey started to build an Audio Unit version of his Tape Head saturation plugin, but gave up and put up the functional GUI-less version for free instead:
http://www.smassey.com/au.html

Airwindows has loads of free stuff (Mac AU only, scroll down the front page):
http://www.airwindows.com/

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Anyone looking to buy Ableton Suite 8?

I have a download version license and am willing to sell it for quite a bit less than what it's currently going for

PM me if you're interested

BareBones

wheezy
I'm getting a new laptop soon which will probably come with Windows 7 64bit. At the moment i'm running a cracked copy of Ableton live 6 - does anyone know if i'll still be able to run Live 6 on a 64bit OS?

And also if there happens to be anyone like pattycakes above who is selling a licence for Live 8 for a reasonable price then please get in touch cos i'd definitely be interested in a legit copy if it wasn't so expensive

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Can't help with a licence, but if you do buy Ableton, be sure to transfer the £ to a friend who is in full time education (or a lecturer) to buy it for you if possible, much cheaper. All they have to do is provide a photocopy of their status, very easy.

I mention cos that's my plan - the original price is just too damn high, as good as the programme is.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I mention cos that's my plan - the original price is just too damn high, as good as the programme is.
Pretty cheap for what it does and how much work must have gone into it TBH.

In other news, Reaper has had a price hike to a shocking $60 for the new version - worth a look if Ableton seems too pricey.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Pretty cheap for what it does and how much work must have gone into it TBH.

In other news, Reaper has had a price hike to a shocking $60 for the new version - worth a look if Ableton seems too pricey.

Yeah, compared to a lot of things it probably is worth that much; it's just that it's still a lot of money that I dont' have at the moment!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, compared to a lot of things it probably is worth that much; it's just that it's still a lot of money that I dont' have at the moment!
Use Reaper? It's about £50, and it's got an unrestricted free 'demo' version so you can continue to use it until you save the cash up.

BareBones

wheezy
here's another question for you boffins if you'd be so kind

some of the laptops i'm thinking of buying have the option of downgrading the OS from Windows 7 64bit to XP - is this a good idea?

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
I'm getting a new laptop soon which will probably come with Windows 7 64bit. At the moment i'm running a cracked copy of Ableton live 6 - does anyone know if i'll still be able to run Live 6 on a 64bit OS?

And also if there happens to be anyone like pattycakes above who is selling a licence for Live 8 for a reasonable price then please get in touch cos i'd definitely be interested in a legit copy if it wasn't so expensive

yeah, it should work fine, it does on my co.... err, friends computer. in fact so does the latest ableton with max for live (cracked), which is well worth it for all the free max pluggins from there website that do crazy things (like draw a distortion curve realtime, or sidechain any parameter on any effect using audio in...)

wise

bare BARE BONES
here's another question for you boffins if you'd be so kind

some of the laptops i'm thinking of buying have the option of downgrading the OS from Windows 7 64bit to XP - is this a good idea?

I did this on my music desktop, had to get a crack for Windows XP though it's well expensive if you pay for it.
It works fine, although I also have a dual boot into Vista (that I never use) which I tried to update to Windows 7 and I could never get that to work properly.

BareBones

wheezy
Thanks everyone.

wise, I was looking at asus laptops - if you buy from their website you have the option a few of them to downgrade to XP for £30. my mate says all my music software will run better on it because loads of people have had problems with windows 7, but then other people have said i'd basically be an idiot to downgrade to an OS that's 10 years old. So I dunno really.

muser

I have a ASUS laptop and have alot of problems with latency spikes that cause dropouts when running DAW's and weird granular sounding glitches when listening to music, like 2.13 in here . Which seems to be caused by a loads of different things which is really frustrating and a pity because they have got a really good reputation.

Firstly the integrated NVIDEA card that comes with asus laptops has really bad drivers that cause this, you can get some software that seems to make it better by changing some settings you cant change manually. But also coming from sleep mode or having a system resume will mean that you recieve these large latency spikes also, and I wouldnt be suprised if windows 7 is a culprit aswell.

I think (not sure about this though) that the biggest resources hog of windows 7 vs XP is the "aero" GUI which you can turn off, I quite like the OS to be honest but I think XP is probably a good idea. I'd also be wary of asus laptops because of the problems I've been having with latency spikes which I havnt been able to find any concrete resolutions, but maybe look up on the specific model you are thinking of getting to see if anyone has talked about having specific problems, especially with latency spikes because they can be caused by loads of things, not just what I mentioned but network adaptors, usb drivers etc. I have managed to get mine running, when all the right conditions are met, pretty much without any audible latency spikes (the latency checker still shows quite a few but they dont effect audio/video), but really I'd avoid anything with those NVIDEA G100 integrated gfx cards like the plague.

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
massively helpful, thanks muser!

anyone got any good or bad things to say about toshiba laptops?
w/r/t running DAWs i mean, ableton live in particular

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
i find laptops to be way harder to tame than desktops. if i were you i'd hit the ableton forum and ask people there about which laptops are working well and with what soundcard.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Reaper is brilliant, so thanks for all the recs in that direction.

Quick question - do ppl here use transient designers to make the drums punch through the mix, or just the 'traditional' compression etc?