johnny greenwood on mp3s and audio quality

mms

sometimes
yes re getting hold of music i used to skip lunch to buy records - save up for them at school, and i'd usually have to get them via ordered in from the shop. Now i can get records on the net and usually mp3s i like too, although personally i only really usually download mp3s and delete em unless it's something rare. I've only bought a few mp3s.

Client Eastwood

yes re getting hold of music i used to skip lunch to buy records - save up for them at school, and i'd usually have to get them via ordered in from the shop. Now i can get records on the net and usually mp3s i like too, although personally i only really usually download mp3s and delete em unless it's something rare. I've only bought a few mp3s.

I think its a generational thing. Im quite happy to pay for a release even tho I can d/l it for free online. Some people around me dont get it.

Having bouught a CD I/ll rip it to mp3 and read the notes if any. And shelf the CD rarely playing it again as Ill just plug in my mp3 player into the hifi. So I listen to mostly mp3 coded music and about 2/3rds on headphones. Can't be good for the ears in the long term as the bass is usually compressed out so Im guessing I turn it up louder but then the tops are higher too and this is the frequency which causes hearing damage or am i wrong ?

I kinda place value on process of aquiring music. Once someone said to me
can I copy all your reggae mp3s. I was like no way thats plain lazy. Tell me what you want or like first and ill share it with you. He was somewhat shocked.

mms

sometimes
I think its a generational thing. Im quite happy to pay for a release even tho I can d/l it for free online. Some people around me dont get it.

Having bouught a CD I/ll rip it to mp3 and read the notes if any. And shelf the CD rarely playing it again as Ill just plug in my mp3 player into the hifi. So I listen to mostly mp3 coded music and about 2/3rds on headphones. Can't be good for the ears in the long term as the bass is usually compressed out so Im guessing I turn it up louder but then the tops are higher too and this is the frequency which causes hearing damage or am i wrong ?

I kinda place value on process of aquiring music. Once someone said to me
can I copy all your reggae mp3s. I was like no way thats plain lazy. Tell me what you want or like first and ill share it with you. He was somewhat shocked.

its a me thing , i know ppl my age and older who download everything, swap hardrives of genres and listen thru entire harddrives to get the optimum cllection of whatever genre on mp3, which seems joyless as fuck to me, also one mans optimum is another mans so what and when someone tells me they've listened to thousands of northern soul mp3s to get the best ones, my reaction is so what really.

Client Eastwood

its a me thing , i know ppl my age and older who download everything, swap hardrives of genres and listen thru entire harddrives to get the optimum cllection of whatever genre on mp3, which seems joyless as fuck to me, also one mans optimum is another mans so what and when someone tells me they've listened to thousands of northern soul mp3s to get the best ones, my reaction is so what really.

Yep sod that. Id rather find joy in what I have rather than spend all my time searching for the the ultimate best rare tune which may turn out to be shite after all. Maybe its rare for a reason, cos it was rubbish. LOL - not really but you get what I mean.

So I listen to mostly mp3 coded music and about 2/3rds on headphones. Can't be good for the ears in the long term as the bass is usually compressed out so Im guessing I turn it up louder but then the tops are higher too and this is the frequency which causes hearing damage or am i wrong ?

You're wrong, MP3 won't damage your ears any more than WAVs or analogue.
The "compression" in an MP3 is not audio level adjustment from a compressor in a studio, it's data compression - like saving a picture as a JPG instead of a TIFF.

Re: this and the earlier comments about iPods sounding bad, I think it's those incredibly bad headphones you get with them. I was really happy with my cheap Korean mp3 player and then the headphones broke so I thought I would get some funky white iPod ones. They are really awful, super boosted treble and no bass to speak of, threw them away.

Get some £15 Sony earbuds or something and you'll be cool.

But don't play too loud! Honestly, if I'm on the train or the bus then fine, but on the Victoria line I don't bother listening to music because the ambient noise from the train has got to be 80dB and by the time I am drowning it out on the mp3 player, I'm damaging my hearing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
for cheap earphones/buds, I get Sennheiser ones for about £12 and they seem fine. I understood that it's frequencies above about 12KHz that cause tinnitus, so I guess badly mixed hi-hats are to blame?

And as to listening to thousands of mp3s to get the optimum collection of a genre on mp3, wow...I proabbly downloaded too much stuff back in the day, but now I'm happy to find a few tunes/sets I love and relisten to them quite a few times, rather than hearing everything just the once.

And yeah, they should make new noise cancelling headphones especially for the Victoria line. Take a book instead.

gumdrops

the thing i didnt like about the interview is that greenwood seems to think anyone who might prefer cds or discmans (lol) to ipods/mp3s is automatically a sad breed of (already sad) audiophile. its a miracle their records sound as good as they do. listening to ipods on the tube anywhere is generally useless i find so ive stopped bothering. i think it was better/easier to listen to a personal stereo when i was using my discman/walkman. might as well get these:
nailgun006_Full.jpg

Last edited:

Dusty

Tone deaf
I do get the feeling he isn't speaking for the rest of the group. I can easily imagine Thom sitting up for hours fiddling with every last nuance of the sound long after cloth-eared Johnny has fucked off to bed.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
You pretty much can if you know where and how to look. Rapidshare are the new EMI.

yeah you can find a lot just googling with rapidshare and megaupload. more or less anything moderately successful or less than 20 years old

but still even with garage and jungle there's a fair bit that isn't on discogs, and looking further back i know i wouldn't be able to find even half of my dads record collection on rapidshare, megaupload, blogs, spotify or youtube. it's quite comforting in a way.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Actually, yeah, it's hilarious that no one will pay for music that came out this week, but someone would pay me $200 CAN for my copy of Anti War Dub.

mms

sometimes
Yes. Recorded music just isn't really worth anything anymore. People who still buy vinyl are more or less stamp collectors.

kind of but good god i'd rather have a selected amount of good records than thousands of unlistened to mp3s.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Actually, yeah, it's hilarious that no one will pay for music that came out this week, but someone would pay me $200 CAN for my copy of Anti War Dub.

:eek::eek::eek: that records only a couple of years old!

ufo over easy said:
but still even with garage and jungle there's a fair bit that isn't on discogs, and looking further back i know i wouldn't be able to find even half of my dads record collection on rapidshare, megaupload, blogs, spotify or youtube. it's quite comforting in a way.

trying to think about why this might be, all i can come up with is that it's only with recent music that you get these internet genre historians, making it their business to archive every tape they ever bought

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
sure

for finding music is it bigger than spotify, youtube, discogs, blogspot, rapidshare, megaupload, zshare etc etc etc?

what would be your technique?

most of what is talked about online is online for people to find. but there's a lot of old music that isn't really talked about much, and isn't online.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
the thing i didnt like about the interview is that greenwood seems to think anyone who might prefer cds or discmans (lol) to ipods/mp3s is automatically a sad breed of (already sad) audiophile.
Yeah, he seems a bit full-on - I don't think wanting to pay for an album encoded at higher than 128kbps is exactly a sign of total audio-wank - but generally he's pretty equivocal about the whole thing. He says the sound changes, he says he's glad CDs exist, he says he likes to listen to stuff on CD most of the time.

hopper

is everyone on here concerned about most people's lack of concern about actually paying for music these days. Given spotify and youtube's shite royalties rates, and an increasingly claustrophobic music industry it seems like it's going to be fucking hard to make any money at all off of recorded music, with musicians earning their money from live shows etc. Kind of sad if this is the case...