discogs.com help

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Tempted to make a whole new thread for this...will see what response I get here first...

I'm quite into Discogs, despite all the annoying aspects of it. Librarian, catalogue...we bond! I buy & sell on it but also do like to give back by working hard on the catalogue for posterity...

I've got my own contacts for the experimental stuff & dancehall has now largely been sorted out (one of the other sections that matters to me & sucked). However, as mentioned by me on another thread, the grime entries are still a bit haphazard, I think mainly due to all the white labels & digital leaks that never had proper credits. I had another go at it yesterday, adding members to crews, bringing aliases together, moving stuff from the wrong Wiley to the right Wiley (& likewise for Fresh, Badness etc) & so on, but I'm not clued up enough to know some stuff, make the decision on some changes etc & you have to show some sort of proof for some changes or people start moaning.

With this board being so hot on grime, could we make some sort of concerted collective effort to sort some of it out? I feel like once it is done, it'll help a lot of people. I can vote on changes, I can even make the changes if people tell me what needs doing (real names is something else that springs to mind - once they go in, you start to make links between aliases, writing credits etc more easily - for instance, on the dogendish side of things, I yesterday linked up part of Blazin Squad with a whole swathe of current pop production work via some real names).

Here's a coupla examples of things that need doing to get us started...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Wiley+(2) - LOADS of singles on here, but doubtless not all of them still & some only entered as digital when there's bound to be physical copies, blah blah. Some others may only be digital & hence not on here - I don't think that massive bank of downloads he did on twitter is on here, but it should be, he released it. I'm not very up on adding digital releases, but I could learn it I guess. REALLY, it'd be nice if he was Wiley not Wiley (2) as well, as Im sure no-one has ever heard of the current domain-sitter, but that'd be an absurd level of work changing it all over now...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Roll+Deep - Not all the memebrs are on here (& are some of the current ones wrong?). I can't add em just off the basis of the wiki or someone's youtube write-up as mods will moan, but if a full list came down from someone authoritative...I think group members are meant to go into groups under real names not aliases as well, but I find that confusing personally (who wants to check who everyone is before settling on the Richard Cowie hyperlink to get to Wiley stuff?!). Amsterdam's Up In Smoke seems to me to obviously not be their first album but I can't find the rule that says clearly that joint efforts are compilations not albums. Likewise the Heartless/Roll Deep thing.

A billion tape packs, mixtapes etc missing...Yr not meant to add em unless you've got a copy in front of you though...

Could probably do with some basic biogs for loads of people & labels & also links from people to labels (ie Blahblah ran (hyperlinked) label, reciprocated with Blahblah label was run by (hyperlinked) person...Like here is an example I've just seen right now - OT Recordings - presumably something to do with OT Crew (only release is by Dogzilla), but WHICH person ran it, did they do any other releases, etc etc.

Who is sad enough to join me in this quest?! ;-) As I said in the other thread (the one about Wiley devil mixes & getting them reissued), people will kick themselves in years to come if they don't get it all marked down now, before memories start failing, people move abroad & die etc...Grime Needs You! :)

Alfons

Way of the future
Sounds like a worthy cause, fraid I don't have much grime knowledge to add, but can vote for correctness if needed.

wise

bare BARE BONES
Get in touch with Spooky, I know he's updated and added loads of grime stuff on Discogs

Simon78

There's loads of Grime missing from Discogs. Never found this on there...

BSCjdmpCUAE2ahs.jpg:large