Roman Polanski

crackerjack

If I remember, he pleaded guilty, was sentenced, served his time, and was released. But then the State changed their mind and decided to alter the sentence because of outside pressure to do so, and they lied to Polanski and his attorney about it. They were planning to throw him straight back in jail, with -- I think I have my facts right here -- a different sentence and no re-trial. So Polanski left the country and eventually settled out of court with the girl and her family. It was an odd, distorted case all round. But he did co-operate and serve his sentence.

I don't think he served any time (though I haven't checked). He pled guilty as part of a plea bargain which the judge reneged on. So he fled.

S

simon silverdollar

He did 45 days, I think.

yeah but wasn't that only for his initial psychological evaluation? as far as i understand, it wasn't his sentence - he skipped the country before sentencing, because he heard that he was unlikely to receive probation, as was first thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think her murder at the hands of a gang of insane messianic neofascist cult members had a bit of an effect on his personality.

This seems a bit far-fetched.

But yeah, in response to the thread as a whole, I don't see how a paedophile rapist can really be defended in any way whatsoever, just cos he, er, did some good films?

Of course, lots of less famous people might have slipped off the list by this time, but hell, hard luck.

Brilliant film director and rapist. All there is to say, really.

crackerjack

Of course, lots of less famous people might have slipped off the list by this time, but hell, hard luck.

I think lots of less famous people might've been extradited decades ago. Les French are being a bit weird over this. Gonna be in Paris next week (first time ever!). Wonder if the Left Bank will be full of angry artistes burning Obama posters.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's not far-fetched, it's of biographical note.

I'm probably as close to an apologist for Polanski as this forum is going to throw up. So I should probably stop being so obtuse about it. I've read one very good biography of the man, as I think his films are brilliant. Reading about the rape of Gailey left me appalled, but the circumstances, the trial, the way it was conducted and the aftermath pose serious questions.

The whole thing has been a media farce for years and it's barely about the initial crime now. But his sinister interest in young girls is established fact: I mean, there's also Nastassja Kinski and Emmanuelle Seigner (his current wife) to consider. I think the arguments are inflated on both sides: you can't let him off the hook because he's a brilliant film maker, but the idea that he is a dangerous paedophile is farfetched. You want to talk really sinister and dangerous and talented, then we should start with...Michael Jackson? R. Kelly?

bassnation

the abyss
heh-heh.

a bit like people rightly disgusted w moonbats calling Obama a Nazi etc; perhaps you should have been a bit harder on your mates who insisted on calling Dubya much the same earlier then, eh?

did anyone call bush a nazi? i think people had perfectly valid criticisms of bush that simply don't apply to obama at this stage.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Thanks, bloody OED.

Edit: by which I mean it's not in my OED, I'm not cussing you in a 'ooh, swallowed a dictionary, have we' fashion.

Not at all! But I wanted to put in the correct word for what we're talking about because paedophile usually gets used in the absence of knowledge of the word for heebies, and Polanksi isn't a paedophile. I get kinda pedantic around it.

I wouldn't have known the term myself unless Chaotropic hadn't told me one day, and I never forgot it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's not far-fetched, it's of biographical note.

I was kidding. Of course that's going to severely fuck someone up, but equally obviously has no bearing on how his crimes should be judged.

I think Polanski's getting kid-glove excuses that R Kelly and M Jackson didn't get, in fact (well, at least not until MJ died, but everything gets forgotten in death...)...

Anyway, i do agree that it's a circus. But people like reading about murder and rape and Justice - fact...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think Polanski's getting kid-glove excuses that R Kelly and M Jackson didn't get"
But R Kelly is still roaming around free as a bird isn't he? Which, come to think of it, means he has no excuse for not releasing the next part of Trapped In The Closet - so where is it?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
true, I meant from cultural commentators. whatever they might be.

Maybe the two should team up to do Trapped in Switzerland. The possibilities are mind-boggling.