r&b

rubberdingyrapids

same here. i thought formation's political cred was very overstated which ruined the song for me. but the album is good (formation sounds better too, now i dont have to listen to it with all the heavy handed claims being made for it).

i find beyonce's fans a bit intimidating.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not that into that Dawn Richard, I quite liked Kelela's album last year though and 'Rewind' is a personal fave

Benny Bunter

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/aug/22/best-randb-blond-king-abra-frank-ocean

agree or disagree? the writer is a i love music regular. most of it is just soft focus 80s pastiche. fairly dull bit i love k michelle. shes the real deal.

apart from lost, channel orange failed to make any impression whatsoever so i doubt i'll be into this new one.

K michelle is incredible on pretty much every level (and I do have ilx to thank for picking up on her). The newest album is great but the previous one 'anybody wanna buy a heart' is a classic for me.

The tweet album is gorgeous, i've listened to it loads this year. Same goes for KING. I can see why the retro-ness of these might put some people off (though k michelle could be just as easily accused of this at times) , but i don't think 'pastiche' is the right word to slag them with.

Then again, those three albums are pretty much all i've listened to rnb-wise this year so what do I know?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Soft focus is the perfect phrase to describe KING (who I think are great).

Things on the other side (Bryson Tiller, DVSN, Weeknd, et al) are also soft focus. Not sure why that is. Guess it's just the fashion.

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:track:3uSSjnDMmoyERaAK9KvpJR" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Not heard Frank Ocean's new album(s) yet but I really liked a lot of Channel Orange and Nostalgia Ultra. I love his voice. 'Thinking About You' is one of the best RNB ballads of the decade.

rubberdingyrapids

been around a few months now but timmys prayer by sampha is still great.

not R&b per se but take it or leave it by rae sremmerd is also incredible, more for the chorus than the raps, which is why im putting it here.

i want to hear the new frank ocean album though not as excited as everyone else as ive always considered him quite a bad singer. but it sounds like something id prob like.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I get the criticism of Frank Ocean as a bad singer, insofar as he isn't hitting the notes, say, Usher is, but - as I said just above - I really like the quality of his voice.

Top 5 Male/Female voices in R&B?

rubberdingyrapids

hes kinda like an indie kid fantasy of R&B to me

but i should prob go back and give him a reappraisal. id like to think think he would be grateful for this. not having many fans and stuff.

top 5 today or all time?

i don't think 'pastiche' is the right word to slag them with.
king def isnt pastiche
theyre actually hugely original in many ways, even if you can spot some obvious influences

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've lost interest already! Haha

It's a shame Chris Brown is such a loathsome individual cos his voice is practically angelic.

I've long thought Usher had/has the strongest voice in R&B, though nowadays he squanders it on EDM junk.

rubberdingyrapids

usher doesnt really have any sort of identity as an artist

lots of good songs (though not sure if hes still getting great ones) but theres nothing really identifiably 'usher', other than his voice

shame he hasnt been tied to any one writer/producer since JD in his early career

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Can't even be bothered to listen to BLONDE. Should I?

Solange - Cranes in the Sky (2016)

I'm a sucker for the bland and beatific end of R&B, and this song is right amidst that orange grove.