Pop derived from Grime

viktorvaughn

God if he'd done it with 'Who Are You' it would have changed the face of music. I hate record companies.

ahh! Has chippy ever even been on radio seta? You can't begrudge Tinchy or Dizzee their success when they have done radio and raves for years (not to mention some of thier pop tunes are actually good if not at all grimey er Bonkers, Stryderman, Take Me Back) and are now getting some money but this......just awful.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
has anyone yet managed to get a grime track into the top ten on the back of success with their electro-house records, or is 'oi' still the highest-charting grime record? i lost contact with the charts long ago, so have no idea...

alex

Do not read this.
i lost contact with the charts long ago, so have no idea...

Me too, every time my g/f is forcing me to watch something mildly related to pop drivell & says "havent you heard this" she seems really shocked, like REALLY shocked, when I say "no thank fuck". Which proves how easy it is to get away/distance yourself from the mershal shite.

gumdrops

has anyone yet managed to get a grime track into the top ten on the back of success with their electro-house records, or is 'oi' still the highest-charting grime record? i lost contact with the charts long ago, so have no idea...

that concept of pop song first/grime song second not only never seems to work, its not really being tried either. thats just what artists promise to appease the grime fans.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
it's a pity, but then i guess leads on to old arguments about whether wishing that originally grime artists would score success/try to score success with grime artists is placing certain black artists into a constricting musical 'box' in a way that would never be done with white artists, and how to square this with the feeling that, in achieving success with music that just ISN'T AS GOOD as the stuff they've been making from day one, artists like Kano, Chipmunk, Dizzee have anyways just bowed to and been co-opted by a white-run music machine that will never change if everyone bows to it in the end. But everyone has to earn a living.

At least Wearing My Rolex was a good record, I guess.

viktorvaughn

I dunno, Dizzee always seems pretty smart, he's having the time of his life, probably got millions of girls around him, he's minted himself and can do what he like, he's signed Newham Gens (ok he could have done more, but...) so I don't really see him as having 'just bowed to and been co-opted by a white-run music machine' necessarily.

I imagine him more thinking, i've done radio and raves and now I've looked at the system and going to cash in...

I'm not saying there aren't deep seated problems in the whole structure, but with Diz i think he's done alright really.

Blackdown

nexKeysound

Pow made number 11.

As much as Dizzee's new stuff leaves me disinterested Dizzee = how to leave grime, Chipmunk = how not to.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
ahh! Has chippy ever even been on radio seta? You can't begrudge Tinchy or Dizzee their success when they have done radio and raves for years (not to mention some of thier pop tunes are actually good if not at all grimey er Bonkers, Stryderman, Take Me Back) and are now getting some money but this......just awful.

Chippie did like 3 mixtapes or something before he was 18, I mean give him his due, his work ethic has been ridiculous.

Out of all of them Tinchy's Never Leave is the best tune though, it's an amazing pop song.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
not begrudging him at all, he more than deserves his success. and i guess BITC was extremely avant-garde (and very, very good) for an album that did make waves commercially. Tho it's a pity that any album like that would have to win the Mercury fucking Music Prize before it does so well int he shops.

I was more just lamenting the kind of music you have to make to be considered commercial. I dont' think many indie or rock bands have to make the same kind of concessions with their music in order to be popular. Ok Computer did okay, after all....

Last edited:

gumdrops

yeah, it sucks. just a sign of how music has changed though. its not like the 90s when underground music could get in the charts and you didnt have to go all the way mersh to get heard, though people still did (ms dynamite, etc).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i guess so solid went top ten several times with a pretty raw sound at the time.

On a tangent, can anyone explain at what point the US charts tipped in favour of RnB? Cos I looked down, and when I looked up, all the MOR stuff had been replaced by RnB, such that the whole US top ten was 'black music'. Ok, it proabbly happened over 5 years or so, but still, for a shift like that, it was very quick.

Was this a genuine cultural shift, did they recount the way the Billboard charts were done (cos obv they had different charts for RnB - dunno if they still do?), or...what...?

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

Chippie did like 3 mixtapes or something before he was 18, I mean give him his due, his work ethic has been ridiculous.

Out of all of them Tinchy's Never Leave is the best tune though, it's an amazing pop song.

True true.

I suppose it's probably romanticising raves'n'radio as the one authentic path to grime success whilst maintaining integrity...

tom lea

Me too, every time my g/f is forcing me to watch something mildly related to pop drivell & says "havent you heard this" she seems really shocked, like REALLY shocked, when I say "no thank fuck". Which proves how easy it is to get away/distance yourself from the mershal shite.
yeah i have exactly the same conversations.

but sometimes it's nice - like she played me lady gaga's paparazzi the other day and it's great. i'd have never heard it otherwise.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
we live in different times to even 8/10 years ago. broadcasting has moved to niche narrowcasting powered by UGC etc, lots of long tail genres rather than the whole country huddled round Top of the Pops....

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Just to qualify that, Pow made number 11 in the Christmas chart, which on sales would've been No1 at pretty much any point of the year. It can be done

Well, except for the fact that whatever was Number 1 through 10 on the Christmas chart, on sales alone, would've been number one at any point of the year before the Number 11 on the Christmas charts. I see what you're saying though - it sold a lot.

continuum

smugpolice
mz bratt is shit but i fancy her.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
just heard that Chipmunk tune - I like it. Thank God it's not electro-house, which by this stage has officially become the worst music in the world.

Aw, she seems sweet. Her looks don't hurt though... Don't, er, pull her arm though. Leg ok?