yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Be one of those guys still insisting on pounds shillings and pence up to the 90s... or those Japanese soldiers fighting WWII for thirty extra years. Always intrigues me that, why did they find it so weird that a war should end in a few years, was that the rule? Like Cervantes when he wrote Don Quixote... how long should a novel be? No-one has done it before but 2,000 pages seems reasonable.

i tried to ignore daylight saving time once. just pretend it didn't happen. cos i hate it when it's so dark so early. it went well for maybe two weeks then i started to run into problems. missing appointments and stuff. and feeling bad telling strangers the wrong time whenever they'd come and ask. i still think it's something worth trying though.

droid

It would be a gift to the regime and would be completely ignored after a minor controversy. A general strike is the way to go.

droid

Considering we've just had several pages discussing how they're a bunch of cheating scumbags who dont care about the rules, it seems strange to think theyd care about this. You need to hit them where it hurts. Even a debtors strike would probably do it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It would be a gift to the regime and would be completely ignored after a minor controversy. A general strike is the way to go.

Right. So we're back to actually doing something - or, in a very pointed and specific way, refusing to do something.

luka

Considering we've just had several pages discussing how they're a bunch of cheating scumbags who dont care about the rules, it seems strange to think theyd care about this. You need to hit them where it hurts. Even a debtors strike would probably do it.

It doesn't matter if they care. Power is weirder than that

luka

My idea will work. If we genuinely believe a criminal cartel has siezed power by breaking the rules, and you are telling me that is the case, I'm willing to believe you, then we will stop playing the game. It will work. I promise. I bet you anything.

droid

It wouldn't affect them as long as the media is in their hands. Legitimacy is an irrelevant concept now. Stop buying stuff, stop paying mortgages, stop working. That would actually have an effect.

droid

Even a small UK debt strike would probably bring down several banks within a month or two, followed swiftly by the economy and the government.

comelately

Wild Horses
If that's the case then everyone has to withdraw their support from the system. The Labour Party needs to refuse to participate in elections. We need to stop voting. That is the only solution.

This was the original point I was agreeing to. If being 'Peak Barcelona' isn't going to be enough (and Labour aren't even Liverpool under Graham Souness at the moment - I just aged myself), then it is time to stop giving legitimacy to the system.

I am not saying that that is sufficient, necessarily, but it is necessary. Right now, Labour don't even seem sure they give a toss anyway.

I do broadly agree with Luka though - the Left forsaking their place in the 'constellation' would I think have a more profound effect than some of you want to think. I don't think Torys are quite *Orwell alert* O'Brien level bad guys.

Last edited:

luka

This was the original point I was agreeing to. If being 'Peak Barcelona' isn't going to be enough (and Labour aren't even Liverpool under Graham Souness at the moment - I just aged myself), then it is time to stop giving legitimacy to the system.

I am not saying that that is sufficient, necessarily, but it is necessary. Right now, Labour don't even seem sure they give a toss anyway.

I do broadly agree with Luka though - the Left forsaking their place in the 'constellation' would I think have a more profound effect than some of you want to think. I don't think Torys are quite *Orwell alert* O'Brien level bad guys.

I never used to like politics but the other day having a drink this became the most fun thread of the evening and I converted. I'm into politics now. I understand.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
a lot of people here are now referring to the uk as the pedophisles, has that always been a thing? i do know you guys talk about nonces a lot.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
a lot of people here are now referring to the uk as the pedophisles, has that always been a thing? i do know you guys talk about nonces a lot.

It's an old joke from Brass Eye, but I guess it may have occurred to people independently.

unspeakably_sick.jpg