Cheap as f**k meals thread

grizzleb

Made 'bombay potatoes' tonight. Was well cheap and tastey as hell. Sautee onions with ginger for ages, then add some spices - I used mustard seed, cumin, coriander, turmeric, allspice, cayenne, fenugreek, curry leaves and dried chillis. Then par-boil some potatoes for a bit, then add them to the onions/spice with some tomatoes (tinned or I used a couple of fresh ones) for a bit of liquid to give a bit of sauce. I worked out it was probably about 60p or something and it was quality.

Last edited:

grizzleb

Btw nomos I'm glad you enjoyed it...I made it with tinned lentils and accidentally burnt the living fuck out of the onions instead of caramelising them so it tasted terrible and I've been put off trying again. Think I might give it another go next week maybe.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
N006358128790985286_720102t.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/and-finally/christmas-dinner-pot-noodle-on-sale-2392936.html

:eek:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Leek and potato soup is cheap as fuck, especially if you buy your veg from a small greengrocer or, better still, a street market. Jazz it up by substituting sweet potatoes for ordinary ones - I nearly always use these - and adding a handful of kaffir lime leaves. Best served with a splash of cream, crispy bacon bits and strong cheddar, depending on how decadent you're feeling.

"The gift that keeps on giving" - I can believe that! Pot Noodle burps, anyone? :eek:

And at £1.10, that's not "cheap as fuck". Nong Shim for the win:

29710240-300x300-0-0_Nong_Shim_Shin_Cup_Noodle_Soup.jpg

^about 65p a shot and actually delicious.

nochexxx

harco pronting
mutton/ chicken is cheaper from Halal butchers, and i find the quality is better than supermarkets - more inline with what you find at a decent butcher (if that makes sense) and you get a few bones included. adds to flavour innit. they also call me brother! :)

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
mutton/ chicken is cheaper from Halal butchers, and i find the quality is better than supermarkets - more inline with what you find at a decent butcher (if that makes sense) and you get a few bones included. adds to flavour innit. they also call me brother! :)

Surely the best thing though is that you know your chicken was facing the Qibla when it shuffled off this mortal coil.

Benny Bunter

This is what I had for tea tonight: I fried an onion and added half a tin of corned beef, a tin of beans and some potatoes left over from sunday dinner, guzzled down using a large spoon. It was fucking lush...

ether

broke-as-fuck cookery book:

smoked salmon pasta:
cook some penne, stir in: asda smart price smoke salmon pieces, double cream and pesto. thats its tastes dope.

spanish omellete:
beat 3eggs, fry up some streaky bacon and onions, chuck ins some veg (I tend to use peppers/corgettes/mushrooms cherry toms whatevers in the fridge) cook that off. add the eggs, grate a load of cheese on top put under the grill for like 5-10mins to crisp up.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Following on Tea's noodles: Nong Shim Kimchi Ramen but not the cup kind.

2s1aa9c.jpg

Love them with a little fresh kimchi on top and a bitter to wash it down. More of a guilty pleasure nowadays though because the salt/msg really does me in.

I used to eat a fair bit of Korean food. One good cheap meal involved nori (sushi seaweed) squares - I think brushed with a little roasted sesame oil and very quickly toasted - wrapped around sticky rice, kimchi and other pickled stuff, with spicy red bean paste. I wasn't eating meat then, but you could probably fit in little sauteed strips of beef or pork.

KoreanHomeCook-GimbapAssembly.jpg

EDIT: might have been a lazy version of gimbap

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
kimchi chigae!!

kimchi%20jigae.JPG

not for the ulcer-prone. kimchi soup/stew with tofu, little bits of pork, green onion... have a bit of sticky rice with each bit and some korean pickles on the side.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ooh, I do like a bit of kimchi, especially the spicy kind. I think I might have to raid my local east-Asian grocers' this weekend to see what other kinds they've got - they've got more types of pickles than you can shake a gherkin at, which is great because my girlfriend has basically got a monkey on her back about pickled things.

Edit: thanks nomos, I'll see if they've got the kimchi ramen, sounds interesting.

I like the idea of eating seaweed, but in my considered opinion it's actually a bit gross.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i just tried nigella's 'controversial' pasta with marmite thing. it was shite. don't try it. and i like marmite. on toast with sweet tea when i'm hungover.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i just tried nigella's 'controversial' pasta with marmite thing. it was shite. don't try it. and i like marmite. on toast with sweet tea when i'm hungover.

Ugh, I love marmite as much as the next right-thinking person but that sounds :eek:.

grizzleb

Ooh, I do like a bit of kimchi, especially the spicy kind. I think I might have to raid my local east-Asian grocers' this weekend to see what other kinds they've got - they've got more types of pickles than you can shake a gherkin at, which is great because my girlfriend has basically got a monkey on her back about pickled things.

Edit: thanks nomos, I'll see if they've got the kimchi ramen, sounds interesting.

I like the idea of eating seaweed, but in my considered opinion it's actually a bit gross.
Salivating like fuck at that broth picture. Kimchi is the bomb, couldn't believe how tasty it was when I had it recently, especially considering it's generally viewed as an 'aquired' taste. Seaweed tastes amazing too - could eat just a big bown of it for my dinner I reckon.

I'm going to need to find a weird food store for this kind of thing. East asian grocers would be nice.

grizzleb

Spaghetti and garlic with sunflower oil has been my meal for the past little while. It's actually pretty good. And it can be satisfying spending as little as possible on food per day. Reckon it's down to a pound or so on a good day. :cool:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm going to need to find a weird food store for this kind of thing. East asian grocers would be nice.

Then get your arse down to E3, because yesterday in the meat freezer in my Chinese shop I found

PIG UTERI.

Thus further cementing my conviction there is absolutely nothing the Chinese will not eat. :)

I'm kind of annoyed at myself at the moment because I seem to have lost all will to cook anything during the week. It's just so much hassle when it's only you eating it. Weekends are better, because either my GF is here or I've gone to see her and she likes to cook too, but when I've just trudged home on a Wednesday evening and I've not really got anything in the fridge and the kitchen is a mess...ugh, just much too easy to buy a cheapo pizza or snack on bread and cheese.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I used to have a budget of £2 for meals for ages, that carried on for a long while cos I just got used to it. Didn't buy any steak for years...

Pasta with tomatoes, spring onions, olive oil and raw garlic is pretty good for the summer.

grizzleb

Then get your arse down to E3, because yesterday in the meat freezer in my Chinese shop I found

PIG UTERI.

Thus further cementing my conviction there is absolutely nothing the Chinese will not eat. :)

I'm kind of annoyed at myself at the moment because I seem to have lost all will to cook anything during the week. It's just so much hassle when it's only you eating it. Weekends are better, because either my GF is here or I've gone to see her and she likes to cook too, but when I've just trudged home on a Wednesday evening and I've not really got anything in the fridge and the kitchen is a mess...ugh, just much too easy to buy a cheapo pizza or snack on bread and cheese.
Need to get down there. Even my intentionally 'hard headed' attitude towards food probably wouldn't involve me eating pig uteri though. I've sort of been in the same boat. Spaghetti and garlic, as well as being cheap as f**k also takes about 20 minutes from spaghetti in till I've eaten it and washed up. It's that mid winter slump where you just want to sit about and scratch your arse eating takeaways.

I used to have a budget of £2 for meals for ages, that carried on for a long while cos I just got used to it. Didn't buy any steak for years...

Pasta with tomatoes, spring onions, olive oil and raw garlic is pretty good for the summer.
It can be annoying but once you get used to not having spare cash (and avoiding that overdraft) you get into the groove. Satisfying if you can eat reasonably well without paying much. Cheese and beans on toast does make the odd appearance though, but fuck it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, I love(d) the challenge of making food for a tight budget - anyone can go out and spend £10 on quality ingredients and make something good. Must say £2 was prob more than twice as easy as £1 though, cos there's so many possible ingrdients it brings into play