Gang of 4 were shit. Discuss.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
finally a music thread I can really get behind. it's been awhile.

I mostly concur with Cool Rock Music as laid out so far but @version is correct that Gang of Four are not cool rock music.

also

Bauhaus- cool rock music assuredly
there is absolutely no way this is true. too ornate, ponderous, affected. they never actually rock.

Siouxsie + the Banshees are definitely cool rock music through the early singles and first LP, after that it's debatable

and I can hear an argument for early Sisters of Mercy. "Adrenochrome" certainly.

padraig (u.s.)

it's The Beach Boys are philosophically closer to cool rock music than The Beatles

but The Beatles have occasional true cool rock moments - "Helter Skelter" certainly, "Hey Jude" depending on you view it

which The Beach Boys never did

padraig (u.s.)

Pink Floyd is cool rock music in the Syd Barrett era, thereafter the antithesis of cool rock music

also explicitly not cool rock music - The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin

the former being the urtext of regular rock music, against which cool rock music is set, and the latter its fully realized form

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

The Beatles have occasional true cool rock moments
speaking of this, Yoko Ono's early 70s records are 100% cool rock music

Lennon/Ringo/Klaus Voormann doing full-on Neu! avant la lettre with her shrieking over the top like an unhinged demon witch

a blueprint for every outre cool rock female auteur of the last 50 years

luka

As a side issue, and not pissing on padraigs chips as its heartwarming to see him finally able to talk about this stuff, is there anything less cool than rock cool? Lou Reed looking like a divorced dad in a pair of sunglasses.

Its the template the strokes were working with isn't it. Greasy lank locks, leather, shades. In African American culture cool tends to be clean. Showered, laundered, smelling fresh. In rock it's filthy and smelly.

padraig (u.s.)

further additions - Spacemen 3, who personified an ideal form of cool rock music in the strictest VU-Stooges tradition

Galaxie 500 - dangerously close to being sad bastard music but Dean Wareham's facemelting solos get them in

padraig (u.s.)

is there anything less cool than rock cool?
is there anything less cool than ravers? have you ever seen any footage of them from any era in which anyone looked cool?

leaving aside that we're obviously using cool in a (gently) mocking sense, i.e. Cool Rock Music

you can fuck right off with your "heartwarming he's finally able to talk about it" patronizing too my dude lol

luka

:cool: Please don't mind me. The intention was gentle brotherly teasing not patronising and superior

luka

But ravers aren't cool, they're anti cool. That's where a lot of the liberatory power comes from. Freedom from the rigidity and tensions and self consciousness of cool. But let's not get distracted.

padraig (u.s.)

other additions

Wire - Pink Flag definitely, Chairs Missing probably, 154 no. Mission of Burma, definitely. Hüsker Dü through Metal Circus. The Minutemen.

the whole canon of Japanoise rock - Les Rallizes Denudes, Keiji Haino, Boris, etc

Flipper, absolutely

padraig (u.s.)

they're anti cool
rock was anti-cool to begin with

it was exactly all those things - freedom from an established code of coolness

why else do you think it was leather jackets and jeans instead of suits

once it became established as the paradigm itself it then became rigid and constricting. that's how these things work.

padraig (u.s.)

and I know what you're referring to with black culture and neatness, cleanliness, etc, of course

but also, for example Funkadelic were definitely cool in their way and they were the opposite of neat and sharply pressed