Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google's neural networks see things that aren't there - awesome computer acid art

Default Google's neural networks see things that aren't there - awesome computer acid art

I'm sure a few of you must have seen this already - could just as easily have gone in Art or Thought, but anyway:

http://googleresearch.blogspot.co.uk...to-neural.html

Basically Google researchers have used neural net programs trained to pick out certain features, such as animal faces or buildings, and put them to work on an image containing none of these things in conjunction with an algorith to gradually turn parts of the image that look a tiny bit like the sought image into that image, and then iterated it many times. The results are incredible:

What I find amazing is how incredibly similar they look to some of the stuff you see when you're tripping. In fact it seems to back up a hunch I've had for some time: that a lot of the visual effects of psychedelics arise because they turn up to 11 the circuits in your brain that deal with pattern recognition and detecting streams of meaning in otherwise noisy signals, like how the random dirt on the wall in a nightclub toilet suddenly appears to be alive with slowly morphing faces.

Cool stuff happens even when they just train the program to pick out and exaggerate edges:

Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post

What I find amazing is how incredibly similar they look to some of the stuff you see when you're tripping. In fact it seems to back up a hunch I've had for some time: that a lot of the visual effects of psychedelics arise because they turn up to 11 the circuits in your brain that deal with pattern recognition and detecting streams of meaning in otherwise noisy signals, like how the random dirt on the wall in a nightclub toilet suddenly appears to be alive with slowly morphing faces.
    Thats well known isnt it? A combination of the that and entoptic phenomenon.

All good stuff, though the Seurat is easy pickings if youre looking for edges.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Thats well known isnt it? A combination of the that and entoptic phenomenon.
    Is it? I mean it may seem subjectively obvious to anyone who's taken psychs, but I have no idea if this was just a widely-held hunch or is well supported by neuroscience.

All good stuff, though the Seurat is easy pickings if youre looking for edges.
    Damn droid, you're a hard man to impress!

I wonder what would happen if you fed the program an Alex Grey painting? Maybe it'd turn it into a photo from a Next catalogue.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 19-06-2015 at 09:04 AM.
    i hate sigs

Yeah 'enhanced pattern recognition' is a factor. Check out the wonderfully titled: 'Geometric visual hallucinations, Euclidean symmetry and the functional architecture of striate cortex' for more info: http://www.math.utah.edu/~bresslof/p...tions/01-1.pdf

'Geometric visual hallucinations, Euclidean symmetry and the functional architecture of striate cortex
    I am SO in the wrong job...
    i hate sigs

I've never had a hallucination I feel cheated I want my world to be an Alex grey painting

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I've never had a hallucination I feel cheated I want my world to be an Alex grey painting
    I call bullshit, your brain can't be that different from everyone else's.
    i hate sigs

To paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson, "Where're all these acid flashbacks I was promised?"
    i hate sigs

Just profoundly unvisual person

Huxley talks about this so I know I'm not unique

Yeah 'enhanced pattern recognition' is a factor. Check out the wonderfully titled: 'Geometric visual hallucinations, Euclidean symmetry and the functional architecture of striate cortex' for more info: http://www.math.utah.edu/~bresslof/p...tions/01-1.pdf
    Interesting paper, but it's surely a major oversight not to discuss or quantify the apparent fractal nature of geometric hallucinations?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Just profoundly unvisual person
    Oh don't tell me, you hallucinate in qautrains or haikus or something.
    i hate sigs

Not sure why you're so upset about it? Pls explain

Hardly upset, just slightly amused and commenting on the fact that you're obviously a highly verbal/textual/lyrical person.
    i hate sigs

Oh, I thought it was a personal attack