Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Of course it’s white - it’s Eurodance, Teutonic titanium pop music.

yeah. like i said. not a diss, just an observation. A time when london could not rule the charts and what got played at mostly provintial clubs did. London's glory came later.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
as a general rule though I find white techno has a more thumpin sampler-tone like bassy low end. the basslines in this stuff are very staccato, almost like trying to replicate the bass guitar.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Exactly. It’s also, basically, high street disco. House and techno taxonomy is irrelevant here.

nah it's relevant for someone like you, because you do enjoy it as an inverted snob. So do I. Nothing wrong with that, but it's like Robert Wyatt saying it would not be faithful for him to make rock n roll cos he knew about Albert Ayler and shit.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The mutation into trance-adjacent hard house really fascinates me. When I was at school this was the music of neds, the toughest and roughest who could and would batter people like me... but it's so frothy and OTT and so obviously gay, I don't know why it ended up the sound of macho and threatening Glasgow lads.

That was vocal garage down here. posh spice, never let you go, flours etc.

The darker london garridge (what i call the proper pirate sound in distinction to twice as nice) was much more hard looking lads than actual hard lads. as in moody, smoking a spliff etc, but not looking for a fight. Dubstep and to a large extent grime evolved out of that teenager crowd of course... Harry Lime records, Southside allstars... In fact when i first found a lot of the chicago acid later i was like hang on this sounds like the tunes on the radio back in the day, just no mcs over them.

Obvs these are generalisations, it's not as clear cut as the hard house pipeline.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Photek really had a gift for making that sort of blissful GLR style music but perversely insisted on making joyless samurai music.

yeah tell me that after you go through enough 94-95 glr type sounding stuff, it gets really stale, really quickly. I remember one of my friends on another forum she said she was bored sick of jungle nights by 95, went to garage raves, then got back into dnb in 96.

Obviously with the hindsight of the internet we're able to dig out all the absolutely mad obscurities from 94-95 which might have only got played a few times on late night pirate radio, but back then you were essentially limited to the A list of each dj, which more than not became the same 15 tunes with 5 tunes being different. With Bukem all his tunes were different, but that's precisely why he kind of lost his a way a bit in the jungle, he tried to push beyond the 1 hour smash n grab culture of big raves, but obviously the scene struggled to accommodate that.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
ambient jungle is best dance music no question ever but ambient itself (including melodic ambient) is an aesthetic dead end after a while. there's only so much floaty pads and arpeggio sequences one can take before wanting something with teath.

Status
Not open for further replies.