Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Iran again

i don't trust the economist

Alright, Michael Gove.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    i don't trust the economist
    Did you actually bother to read it or was that an entirely context free ejaculation?
    Seeing as it's a first person account that isn't really making political points, I'd guess not....

Everything in the economist is making a political point by dint of its being in the economist.

I understand the exasperation btw I got vexed when catalog dismissed Prynne on the basis of his having taught at Cambridge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

If some Prynne falls into my lap, I'll read him. I read that essay about metal you mentioned, can't really remember any of it. I have a problem with poetry generally I think. I prefer prose, at least to read. I go to the odd poetry reading but my mind tends to wander.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    This is a really great read, highly recommended. Go on yyaldrin, it's not going to indoctrinate you!

Cheers Dan.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Fire sale: An Iran plant makes the US flags protesters burn

KHOMEIN, Iran (AP) ó Near the hometown of the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, workers at a small Iranian factory diligently add all 50 stars and 13 red-and-white bars to what are supposed to be U.S. flags, and carefully imprint the blue Star of David on Israeli ones.

Thatís even as all their work is destined to go up in flames.

The company Diba Parcham Khomein serves as a major producer for the American and Israeli flags constantly burned at pro-government rallies in the Islamic Republic.

I remember thinking, years ago, that there must be factories in the middle East that churn out thousands of these things, employing loads of people, mainstays of the local economy, all of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

More than 100 US troops suffered traumatic brain injury in Iran strike, military to report

The US military is preparing to report a more than 50% jump in the number of cases of traumatic brain injury (TBI) stemming from Iran’s missile attack on a base in Iraq last month, US officials told Reuters on Monday.

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said there were now more than 100 cases of TBI, up from the 64 that had been previously reported last month.

The Pentagon declined to comment, but in the past had said to expect an increase in numbers in the weeks after the attack because symptoms can take time to manifest and troops can sometimes take longer to report them.

Donald Trump had previously said that the US “suffered no casualties” from the attack, which was a reprisal for the US drone strike assassination of the Iranian Gen Qassem Suleimani.

Questioned later about reports of brain injury, Trump downplayed their severity: “I heard that they had headaches. And a couple of other things. But I would say, and I can report, it is not very serious.”

Speaking after Trump’s remarks, Michael Kaplen, the chair of the New York State Traumatic Brain Injury Services Coordinating Council and past president of the Brain Injury Association of New York State, said that the condition is a “life-altering” injury.

“It’s physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioral consequences affect every aspect of an individual’s life,” he said. “A brain injury is only ‘mild’ if it is someone else’s brain. There is nothing ‘mild’ about a mild brain injury.”

Army general Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said last month that the service members suffering from traumatic brain injuries had been diagnosed with mild cases. He added the diagnosis could change as time went on.

Pentagon officials have repeatedly said there has been no effort to minimize or delay information on concussive injuries. But the disclosures following Tehran’s attack have renewed questions over the US military’s policy regarding how it internally reports suspected brain injuries and whether they are treated publicly with the same urgency as loss of limb or life.