Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Dinner of the Day.

Made a massive fuck-off plov last night while Liza was meeting some potential venues... but she rolled in at 6am way too fucked to eat. Oh well, more today.

20191205_151935.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

Leo

Last night I cooked something based on a recipe my mum made up years ago, which is really simple and good. Her version involves just mixing chopped ham, spring onions and strong blue cheese (typically roquefort, but mature stilton is fine too) into mostly-cooked pasta (spaghetti, tagliatelle or similar) with some single cream and a little of the salted cooking water from the pasta. Stir through on a low heat for a few minutes to melt the cheese and finish cooking the pasta.

My version used smoked streaky bacon - really good thick stuff from a proper butcher's shop - cooked separately in a frying pan. I then used the bacon fat, plus some butter to cook some mushrooms (obvs). Then mixed with the rest of ingredients and the pasta, as described above. The cheese I used was dolcelatte just because I found some in Aldi that looked nice.

All you need for serving it is some black pepper.

pasta_bacon_shrooms.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Leo

This evening we had a (bought) shepherd's pie with some steamed greens. Sorry to disappoint.
    i hate sigs

We went to an amazing Nepalese place with some friends today. Most of the "Indian" restaurants here tend to be Nepalese (as they're mainly Bangladeshi in London) and a lot of the time the menu is kinda the same as the ones we were used to in England with the addition of these little dumplings called momo which are great. Today though the place our friends took us to was a really little, homely and cheap place with a few dishes that were unknown to me and some more like Chinese food than curry. Eight euros each and we shared a load of dishes, it was the nuts.

too lazy to cook, so ordered our usual Japanese: edamame, shrimp shu mai, spicy salmon roll and shrimp tempura roll. we'll make more of an effort tomorrow.

I had stir fry last two nights running green vegetable matter

Nepalese food is the tits. Tibetan is great too - or at least there's a great Tibetan restaurant in Bath; struggling to think where else I've had it. Oh, Amsterdam, come to think of it. The dumplings are indeed delicious.

I just had another jalfrezi cottage pie, with some steamed and buttered sugarsnap peas on the side.
    i hate sigs

Well here most of the curry places are Nepalese and most are pretty similar to those in the East End really. But this one stood out.
    Anyway, today had shakshuka for lunch in a kinda hipster Mediterranean place and then more plov for dinner, this time with a side salad and creamy dressing.

20191206_165645.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

Leo

canned tomato mackarel on rye bread

not as bad as it sounds.

Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Leo

Portuguese style pork scratchings (I dunno what they call em) from the supermarket deli counter... so rich (or greasy if you prefer).

20191207_162601.jpg

Are they different from English ones?
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Are they different from English ones?
    Well, that's an interesting question, at one point I became quite a connoisseur of pork scratchings in pubs, they vary wildly, some very hard, some with lots of chewy bits, and of course you can get "posh" ones at, I dunno, farmers' markets or whatever. I'm not so familiar with those and I think these ones for fairness should be compared with those as they were from the deli counter. We did get some in a packet from a supermarket once here and they were also super rich, girlfriend made us eat them over about four days once she noticed that the number of calories in pack meant that each piece contained four days supply of energy. These ones are even richer than those, they are practically dripping with fat and I feel a bit sick after eating them. But happy sick.

Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Leo