Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moon

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post

I was discussing just yesterday actually about how come it's October not Octember (like Nov and Sept). There must be a reason but maybe nobody knows it
    quick google - sounds right? https://thew1ghtknight.com/2017/11/0...s-october-not/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

What has long fascinated me is that we are actually on the Babylonian calendar still. That's one of the oldest, we're about 5000 years in now. That is where we get the 7 day week from (there have been other shaped weeks but none survive now, basically) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylonian_calendar that's when the humans moved from observing time to predicting it, as well as numerous other basic human evolutions, some good some bad.

We've had schisms and year-shifts, shuffled months and so on, so there are all these alternative calendars, and some people reckon we may have skipped a whole century during the dark ages. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calend...tyle)_Act_1750

But as far as I know we have never skipped a day of the week, so the Babylonian market day is still our market day.

fully makes sense to me
    that is odd, the 7 day week as such a constant. Babylon = Iraq right?

60 hours in a minute and 360 degrees in a circle is Babylonian, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

yeah, incredible really.

maybe if we brexit we can go metric

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    yeah, incredible really.

maybe if we brexit we can go metric
    More likely back to pounds, shillings and pence, I reckon.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Very interesting Sufi, thanks. I've heard from my (Sikh) cousin recently the story about the kaaba being full of idols. Of course he put an indocentric spin on it - 'Muhammad wanted to destroy the black stone itself, but it was too powerful. It represents the Shiva lingam'.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on the current use of the crescent moon as a signifier for Islam though. Why is it so prominent?
    I dropped into a wikipedia hole last night on calendars and moons and stuff. there are good pages on the crescent and star and on the pre-islamic south arabian calendar that kind of disconnect all that from actual islam - the banner was ottoman and that's how it got into mosque design, apparently,

but, you're asking more about whether there is an affinity in Islam that may be less orthodox or not even conscious, and that's why that symbolism has been embraced... hmmm i've been racking my brains and maybe that's all about ramadan...

ramadan is certainly all about the moon and the night; moon sightings at the start of the lunar month, fasting til the night time each day, & there are leilat al qadir - the nights of power at the end of the month (though noone knows exactly which nights they are), and the tarawih all night prayer sessions, and more broadly because the entire muslim world is fasting during the day, ramadan nights are like a carnival,

maybe there's more to it? i dunno & maybe there are other faiths that have similar traditions? i'm hesitant in accepting that islam particularly has "something of the night" about it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

Care to share? Sounds good
    i'm off twitter at the mo

i'm hesitant in accepting that islam particularly has "something of the night" about it
    Yeah I hear that. I guess I'm thinking more in terms of signifiers than signified, if you see what I mean.

It does seem to me that Islam has had to brand like every other religion, and the chosen signifiers have been orientalised by the West.

I'm really interested in religion, but less from a belief perspective, more a sociological/story way. Like I love all the stories you can pull from religions.

Anyway, back to the moon.

Interesting that it is white.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

Have you ever tried looking at the moon with binoculars? It's mad how much you can see.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Only perverts own binoculars.
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Are you not familiar with my ouvere?!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Perverts and ornithologists.

Same thing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

I can't hear the term 'ornithologist' and not think of the ridiculous flirting in Die Another Day.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Have you ever tried looking at the moon with binoculars? It's mad how much you can see.
    Never have, but I don't doubt you. Clearly that's part of the attraction, in contrast to the sun, which you can't ever look at properly. The sun exhibition at mosi has a brilliant bit at the end with a huge video of the sun in different lights, so you can see it as a literal ball of fire.