Oozey Anthem

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Still, a shame — since I've never been to Paris and I regard Young Thug as one of the great musical savants of our time.

luka

It's the worst mistake of your life. You have to Instill the discipline of saying yes to everything. Except boring things.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The dream scenario of course was Young Thug absolutely loved my questions and my personality and I ended up the Boswell to his Johnson.

This would be my opening gambit, blurted out in a panic, instantly sinking me "I thought I m-might be the Boswell to your Johnson!"

sadmanbarty

Let's crowd source this.

CrowleyHead points to Young Thug emerging from Atlanta Future Swag music. He says that its infantilism is an important pre-cursor to the style Thug went on to develop and crystallise.

You can hear this in his early mixtapes.

Thug gained a greater degree of prominence with the release of 1017 Thug and Rich Gang: The Tour Pt. 1. On these projects Thug forefronts the verbal absurdism (phonetic dada and unconventional use of pitch) that artists like Future had only touched upon.

In the middle of the decade, ambient-tinged, cloud rap-inspired instrumentals began to really take over rap, arguably providing dreamy soundscapes more complimentary to Thug’s style than the midi-horn fanfare that had dominated previously.

Later in the decade Migos crystallised a new rhythmic lexicon in rap that relied heavily upon staccato fragmentation and interjection, which informed Thug’s style.

luka

I first became aware of Thug in the Picachu/1017 Thug era. And it was one of those things that keep pulling you back because you can't tell if you hate it or not. Crowley likes to emphasise the continuities between this and Atlanta precursors but for me it was quite radically different from anything I was familiar with. The grating quality of the vocals, the decorum shattering screeching, the caterwauling.

What I was most drawn to at that time, from that version of Thug, was the quality of tenderness.

Barty has posted Nigeria, which I love and is twinned in my mind with this murky swampy syrupy one

This is another one

which contains an embryonic version of somethig which is later refined in songs like Danny Glover which is the sort of time o became a true believer.

luka

This is another really brilliant one from the period when me and corpse were bang into him

Some kind of midway point perhaps between the banger era and what was to follow with barter etc

catalog

Pretty sure Dean blunt or escrow has played 'danny glover' in a mix. I like that one. Probably the best one, but its the one I know most as well

luka

I talked about this one on dissensus specifically because I felt the way he says 'o gawd' represented an emotional/sensual register which was entirely new in a rap context, a kind of swooning ecstasy, gurgling bliss, surrender.

catalog

That tattoo song is pretty annoying! But you can see even in that he's a bit of an odd one. Throwing his hands up like you are supposed to do, but with some other arch attitude.

luka

I love it when his voice slightly cracks with his soft, pillow talk stuff.

There's definitely a whole zone of affect he opens up which had previously been taboo in that world. It's hugely liberatory and provoked enormous hostility suspicion and derision.

sadmanbarty

This will no doubt be a minority opinion on here, but thug’s been unlucky in that his golden age immediately preceded a big recalibration in rap. It finished and then rap completely changed rendering all his 2015 stuff obsolete

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah quite grating. Pretty sure 1017 thug was when he became more than an oddity for me.

Very very Lil Wayney.

luka

I don't know if music gets rendered obsolete because of what comes after it. I don't think the present burns the past behind it. And in terms of influence Young Thug is bigger than ever. I think he's by far and away the most significant rap artist of the last ten years, more so than Keef or Migos. But I know where your loyalties lie obviously.