Oozey Anthem

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
might have posted this before but the last 5 minutes of this video are so good. he looks like an angel. the electricity in the room when that melody starts at 26:00 🔥

sadmanbarty

I don't know if music gets rendered obsolete because of what comes after it

Not usually. I heard Kodwo talking about jungle revallibraring his listening, it changed how he heard other music. I think occasionally there are these things that alter your cognition and reshape it. For me that post-2017 stuff does that.

luka

I was never into the Rich Gang stuff. But that needs covering in any primer, Lifestyle at any rate. But I'd prefer to linger on the period just prior to that.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the barter/rich gang/leaks era was the best. London on the track was the perfect fit for him.

Listened to this on drugs it sounded like heaven on earth when thug appears.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Saying that the stuff he made with 808 mafia (Danny Glover, eww) was much more exciting than what he became, which was much more melodic, warm, technicolour.

luka

I agree the barter and the leaks is my favourite. It's grown up. But I really enjoyed the stuff round The Blanguage time too.

luka

I've never quite worked out why all of us fell out of love with him quite abruptly soon after the barter. It was as if none of us could go near him for years. Like that feeling when you've had so much to drink the night before even the thought or sight of alcohol makes you feel ill.

sadmanbarty

You have a good angle on him though. Something about a return to the warmth and coziness of early-90’s east coast or something.

sadmanbarty

I've never quite worked out why all of us fell out of love with him quite abruptly soon after the barter. It was as if none of us could go near him for years. Like that feeling when you've had so much to drink the night before even the thought or sight of alcohol makes you feel ill.

He’s not so Cartoon Network on barter. Not so sugar rush.

The music medicates against him. He also started rapping in lower registers. Softer. Less garish

luka

You have a good angle on him though. Something about a return to the warmth and coziness of early-90’s east coast or something.

I think it's completely unprecedented (hopefully Crowley doesn't see this or I'm in for a bollocking) I don't think it's a return.

luka

I think it's revolutionary. Which is why he has a whole army of acolytes and imitators. He makes something new possible. All this new territory is suddenly opened up like he discovered a new continent

sadmanbarty

Lil keed’s taken thug’s early, squawking register and recomtectuslised it as anxiety music rather than spongebob music. It’s flailing and desperate.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think he meant my angle on yachty?

There is something of a return to innocence in "mumblerap" or whatever it's called. A sense of out with the old, let's paint in primary colours, let's wear what we like.

Obviously it's an innocence that contains Xanax overdoses and guns, but it definitely felt like a new generation taking over.