Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Walking Thread

I was feeling ever wilder and more feral by the day but the whole time I was skirting these mean, flinty eyed tory towns, just a stones throw from civilization.

To get to sleep at night I would drink whiskey snd smoke skunk. I was so tired I never felt scared I'd just fall right to sleep under the stars

Badge collecting walks are always a bit risky. Always fun until you realise how tired you are and how far you've got to go. Something nice though about total body exhaustion

It's such a boring walk no one else does it so you don't see a soul. Just trudge joylessly ever onward.

Once you're about halfway and you've crossed the Thames at Goring you start to get the big set pieces; the devils punchbowl, the white horse at Uffington, Waylands Smithy, the huge iron age fort soon afterwards it began to pour with rain. Torrential ceaseless merciless rain for a whole day. Completely exposed on the treeless ridge soaked to the skin, delirious, insane

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    Badge collecting walks are always a bit risky. Always fun until you realise how tired you are and how far you've got to go. Something nice though about total body exhaustion
    I think they could potentially be ok with a friend

Oh yeah, but it can be tough if you are the shitter walker (always me).

I'd imagined my arrival into Avebury would be magical, the stone circle humming with occult energy in recognition of my crazed pilgrimage but I was so wet so tired so cold I just wanted to get out as soon as possible cab to Swindon train to Euston home.

I also love walking around the city late at night. Some guy from Manchester has written a book about it for zero, but its not very memorable

As a teenager I used to walk all the time through London all day walking in a light trance in a magical trance state sad floating world.
    In my twenties I roamed the canals and the bow backs and the river Lea. I had them all to myself in those days. Sit out there smoke weed 2am with the bats flying over the water

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I'd imagined my arrival into Avebury would be magical, the stone circle humming with occult energy in recognition of my crazed pilgrimage but I was so wet so tired so cold I just wanted to get out as soon as possible cab to Swindon train to Euston home.
    Got a friend who has walked lands end to John o groats (he is mad) and he always just wants to get it done as straightforwardly as possible, without any fuss. I prefer dawdling a lot. As you can imagine, it can get a bit difficult when we're walking together, but we've luckily got a third guy who helps keep the peace

11. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

I'll still walk 10 miles, 15 miles. I like it. I like that it feels lonely. I guess that's why the doomer cartoon man does it.

I did quite a few 'beating the bounds' type walks when I was a teenager, my house in Huddersfield to Bradford along the A road, or to Leeds along the M62. Also recently walked Leeds to Manchester keeping as close to the M62 as possible

14. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

Yeah a 10 miler or so roundabout where you live on a mix of terrains is great. Did some cycling this summer as well, discovered a motorway bridge I've never seen before

16. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    When I was taking loads of DMT everyday I got the idea in my head that I should walk the Ridgeway, a prehistoric path that runs about 100 miles along the chalk ridges of a few adjacent counties, starting in Hertfordshire and ending at Avebury in Wiltshire and that I shouldn't take a tent but should sleep under hedges.

I wouldn't say it was enjoyable exactly.
    were you never afraid of insects? i worked in the homeless shelter for a winter and one of the guests told me he'd always numb himself out with alcohol before going to sleep so he would not feel the insects that would crawl over his body when he would sleep outside. centipedes, earwigs, worms, all the nasty ones. something i had never thought about.

You can get into strange states of consciousness. Walk yourself into them. Watching other people. Peoole in restaurants, in the warmth and the light, couples, get that taxi driver buzz, feral outcast on the margins, shut out of society. Not allowed.

I wasn't scared of insects no. DMT had probably made me mad I wasn't scared of anything although I was aware of how ridiculous an expedition it was