Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Friends Real?

It's possible I'm wrong about this but I get the sense that female friendships are much more intimate ON THE SURFACE. They're intimately acquainted with each others romantic longings and emotional states etc.

Men are more guarded and 90% of it is injokes. There's an intimacy there but it's played as a casual sort of joke. And actually there IS a casualness to it. You don't necessarily care THAT much when you don't see your friends in ages.

My mum is my window into the female nature - constantly interested in my friends, how their jobs are going, what it's like being a parent, etc. Stuff I GENUINELY DONT CARE ABOUT.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

In fact, being funny (afaic) is one of - if not the - primary thing I'm looking for in a friend. They don't have to be intellectual or anything. Some of my best friends never read anything, don't give a shit about music, much less poetry or painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Others have noted this

I'm an Eeyore type, prematurely decrepit

Natural depressive/pessimist tendencies combined with perpetual celibacy (and all the regret that brings)

I feel I'm in the twilight years
    It's probably not as bad as you make it out to be. In any case, you always regret what you don't have. When I'm with someone I wanna be alone, when I'm alone I wanna be with someone.

I'd be interested to know how "diverse" people's friends are.

Mine are overwhelmingly straight white blokes from Engerland. This hasn't been a deliberate decision and indeed I lament how few women/POC/gays/foreigners/Jews I am friends with - but nevertheless it's what I've ended up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    In fact, being funny (afaic) is one of - if not the - primary thing I'm looking for in a friend. They don't have to be intellectual or anything. Some of my best friends never read anything, don't give a shit about music, much less poetry or painting.
    Yeah same here. It might seem superficial but I think there's something intimate about having the same sense of humour. You resonate on some deeper, inexplicable stratum of yourselves. You understand something about each other than can't be expressed in words.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to entertainment For This Useful Post: